U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 AM

6,615 posts, read 11,674,281 times

Advertisements

There are some here who say Maryland has always been liberal and Democrat. Perhaps, not to extent of today. Even William Donald Schaffer himself was against illegal immigration and said that illegals should learn English instead of demand translation services and refuse to assimilate or respect our culture. He would have supported the official English laws in Carroll, Queen Anne's, and Frederick Counties. Even 10 years, the illegal alien Dream Act, the gas tax increase, the death penalty repeal, and all the taxes would have been shot down. I cannot believe we couldn't even get the signatures to keep the death penalty or stop gun control. Today Maryland clearly seems very out of touch with the rest of the country.

I think this resulted because O'Malley used gay marriage as a weapon to unleash a liberal passion. Remember that the Maryland GOP has never brought up gay marriage. There was never a movement to create a constitutional ban on gay marriage like in North Carolina. The Democrats were the ones who brought up gay marriage knowing the Republicans would be forced to oppose it based on the national GOP and knowing it will be in the referendum.

I think O'Mallley and the liberal elite wanted gay marriage to go to referendum in order to aid Obama's re-election, to help O'Malley's own re-election, and to help save the illegal alien Dream Act. Gay marriage stirred up a liberal passion that created a large turnout in Montgomery County without which the illegal alien Dream Act would have been soundly defeated. And now with the two referendums failing O'Malley went ahead with the rest of his radical agenda including the gas tax, the Rain Tax, the death penalty repeal, and gun control all of which would have been unthinkable, and still is unthinkable in any other state in the nation, the combination of all these together.

There are many who disliked all of O'Malley taxes, and perhaps even supported the death penalty and opposed illegal immigration, but since O'Malley made gay marriage an issue, it pushed social liberalism to the forefront and the liberal elites were passionate about gay marriage and were willing to put up with the fiscal liberalism in order to preserve gay marriage, and punish the Maryland GOP for opposing it, even though the GOP would have been better for Maryland in EVERY other way. It was Maryland Republicans who tried to stand up to illegal immigration, to stop the toll hikes, the gas tax increase, the wind farm tax, rain tax, and gas tax increase, to stop the expansion of mass transit using our tax dollars, to stop Planmaryland which will destroy our quality of life and make the American Dream less accessible.

Unfortunately the liberal flames lit by gay marriage have not been doused yet as we seen lately with the death penalty and gun control. The vast majority of Americans nationwide support the death penalty and are against gun control. In hindsight while I only support civil unions and not full gay marriage, it would have been better if it had not been petitioned to referendum. That would have guaranteed the defeat of the illegal alien Dream Act, which would have put a wrench in O'Malley's plans to carry out the rest of his liberal agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 05:06 AM

544 posts, read 857,608 times
Gay marriage is a ploy to give people equal rights.

How dare they.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:14 AM

9,496 posts, read 5,255,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Gay marriage is a ploy to give people equal rights.

How dare they.
What he said. I read the opening post. OK so I started to skim after I got the message. OK I really don't understand the message, just the agenda of the OP.

So let's stick to the topic. Gay marriage passed because it was the right thing to do.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,024,891 times
Everything is not all about politics you know. Some people just think gay marriage is the right thing to do and don't care about who others want to marry. I don't understand why others make such a big deal about it. Who cares?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:11 AM

26,929 posts, read 58,187,169 times
Tom, I think you need to find a bigger rock.
Clearly the one you have is much too easy to get out from under.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:00 PM

6,615 posts, read 11,674,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Everything is not all about politics you know. Some people just think gay marriage is the right thing to do and don't care about who others want to marry. I don't understand why others make such a big deal about it. Who cares?
I mean that the Democrats used gay marriage to spearhead their agenda in Maryland. I know MANY people who supported gay marriage but opposed EVERYTHING else the governor has done. Having gay marriage as part of the package was the ONLY way O'Malley could get the state to go along with his liberal agenda package as a WHOLE. Like I said first of all I believe in God yet support civil unions. Secondly it is the OTHER parts of the liberal package like the gas tax, gun control, and repealing the death penalty that I am most upset with.

Gay marriage was used by O'Malley to create a lot of single issue voters that put this issue before ALL the harmful things the Democrats have done and will do to Maryland including the gas tax which NOBODY outside of Montgomery County supports. I do not know a SINGLE individual who supports the gas tax, rain tax, or wind farm tax. Nor do I know a single person around me who is against the death penalty. It is common sense that if you kill someone, your life must be taken in order to be justice.

Now my ultimate question for Phyxius and other is this.......yes you support gay marriage and I'm okay with that......but was the rain tax, gas tax, death penalty repeal, PlanMaryland (which destroys the basics of the American Dream), the wind farm tax, and the IADA all together a worthy trade off just so you can get gay marriage????/ You were willing to pay all these taxes and support illegal immigration just because of gay marriage? now I can understand why someone can support gay marriage.

I cannot understand how anyone who even has a quarter of a brain or any kind of sanity can support the gas tax, rain tax, wind farm tax, flush tax, alcohol tax, income tax, cigarette tax, gun control, or the death penalty repeal.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:10 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,270,287 times
Maybe the Republican party should have seized the chance to become what the rest of the GOP is headed towards instead. I seriously think the national Republican party is going to split between more libertarian/classically liberal-minded people (think Gary Johnson) and far-right Evangelist people (who are dying off, literally and figuratively).

The Maryland GOP could have decided to embrace this eventual shift and instead decided to stick with the losing side of history.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:30 PM

544 posts, read 857,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Gay marriage was used by O'Malley to create a lot of single issue voters that put this issue before ALL the harmful things the Democrats have done and will do to Maryland
It was an individual ballot item. You could vote for gay marriage and against any Democrat on the ballot if you were so inclined.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:38 PM

9,496 posts, read 5,255,932 times
Considering Maryland has had exactly ONE Republican Governor since 1969 I don't see the connection between this topic and O'Malley's election.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:56 PM

559 posts, read 584,440 times
TomLennox - I posted a comment in this thread after one of your other anti-Maryland rants. You never responded back, so I'm going to ask you again here since this is (surprise!) yet another anti-Maryland rant from you. The bottom line is, you hate MD. We get it! You've posted over and over and over again the many reasons that you don't like it here. No amount of ranting and raving is going to change how much you hate it here, nor is it going to change the minds of those of us who have absolutely no problem with things like gay marriage or paying a bit more in taxes to live in a state that is more in line with our own personal views. Obviously having high taxes isn't something that most people love, but as with most things in life, we all weigh the pros and cons.

For me (and plenty of other people I know), the taxes are on my list of cons, but I'd much rather pay them and live here than live in a state that's cheaper but they've actually amended their state constitution to prevent gay people from getting married or even having a legal civil union. I lived in one of those states for a few years, and could not wait to get back to Maryland, regardless of the COL increase. Everything isn't for everybody, and nobody is being held here at gun point. Fortunately, there are plenty of other places that you can move to that are more in line with your own personal views. So why do you continue to devote so much of your energy to talking about all the things you hate about MD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or