U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 4,133 times

Advertisements

hey everyone, my wife and I are thinking of taking a mini vacation to Ocean City this year. Just had a couple questions:

Whats the weather like around early to mid October?

Would September be a better time to go? We were looking at the Columbus day weekend for the extra day off, but I see weather can be kind of cool. Just curious if anyone has gone that late in the year and if it was fun.

I read that there is a oktoberfest in ocean city around Sept/Oct, curious to know if this is true and if anyone would know the dates and if it was fun? Also any other fun events or things to do around there in the late Sept to mid Oct timeframe.

Thanks guys, its much appreciated! Take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,508,126 times
Ocean City travel guide - Wikitravel

Enjoy your vacation- I am sure some other will provide more detailed suggestions

Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,729,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clore44 View Post
Could be warm, could be cold, probably a bit windy. Water will probably still be warm enough for a dip. September would be best if you wish to lay out on the beach, unless there's a hurricane.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:49 AM

494 posts, read 646,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clore44 View Post
hey everyone, my wife and I are thinking of taking a mini vacation to Ocean City this year. Just had a couple questions:

Would September be a better time to go? We were looking at the Columbus day weekend for the extra day off, but I see weather can be kind of cool. Just curious if anyone has gone that late in the year and if it was fun.

I read that there is a oktoberfest in ocean city around Sept/Oct, curious to know if this is true and if anyone would know the dates and if it was fun? Also any other fun events or things to do around there in the late Sept to mid Oct timeframe.

Thanks guys, its much appreciated! Take care!
Having lived there.. September.
Sunfest is one.
http://ococean.com/events/sunfest

Usually the weather is still nice and water is still warm in September. The other thing is that usually after Sunfest weekend many things shut down for the winter. NOT EVERYTHING but alot do. Always a threat of a hurricane in Sept or Oct.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 AM

9,419 posts, read 5,209,705 times
Depends on what you are looking for. Me? I go to the beach to go to the beach. So October wouldn't really work for me. Sept has the best weather of the year anywhere and as long as you go before the 20th or so you should have nice beach weather and cool, comfortable evenings. Rates on rooms drop dramatically after Labor Day. But Google "Bike Week", I know it's in Sept. Unless you own a Harley you do NOT want to be in Ocean City during Bike Week.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:09 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,724,791 times
I'd go in September. The weather can be a little iffy in October. I live here and Sept & Oct is my favorite time of the year. But that's because the inshore fishing is at it's best (as well as the Sept. white marlin bite off shore) and hunting season is just beginning. That being said, as far as Ocean City is concerned, September is the best time IMO because everything is still open but the crowds are gone for the most part. Also the prices start to come down after labor day. By October, t's really to cold if you plan to go to the beach and go in the water. Also, a lot of places start closing up. Now if you like to just stroll the boardwalk and go to Secrets perhaps October isn't to bad. It's also not a bad time if you just need to escape for some R&R and not be to worried about any seasonal activities, but it's not really a beach month.

And I'll further add to definitely check when bike week is because this place is swamped with motorcycles. Not that it's a bad thing. It just might not be a fun time for a mini vacation unless your into that sort of thing. Most lodging will be booked up as well.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 PM

494 posts, read 646,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Depends on what you are looking for. Me? I go to the beach to go to the beach. So October wouldn't really work for me. Sept has the best weather of the year anywhere and as long as you go before the 20th or so you should have nice beach weather and cool, comfortable evenings. Rates on rooms drop dramatically after Labor Day. But Google "Bike Week", I know it's in Sept. Unless you own a Harley you do NOT want to be in Ocean City during Bike Week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I'd go in September. The weather can be a little iffy in October. I live here and Sept & Oct is my favorite time of the year. But that's because the inshore fishing is at it's best (as well as the Sept. white marlin bite off shore) and hunting season is just beginning. That being said, as far as Ocean City is concerned, September is the best time IMO because everything is still open but the crowds are gone for the most part. Also the prices start to come down after labor day. By October, t's really to cold if you plan to go to the beach and go in the water. Also, a lot of places start closing up. Now if you like to just stroll the boardwalk and go to Secrets perhaps October isn't to bad. It's also not a bad time if you just need to escape for some R&R and not be to worried about any seasonal activities, but it's not really a beach month.

And I'll further add to definitely check when bike week is because this place is swamped with motorcycles. Not that it's a bad thing. It just might not be a fun time for a mini vacation unless your into that sort of thing. Most lodging will be booked up as well.
Bike Week? When did this begin and or take off and which week is it? I remember when whatever bikers you saw were all parked outside the old Bearded Clam. I guess it has been a while.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:24 AM

905 posts, read 2,216,570 times
Don't go the last weekend of September either. It is just like bike week but with VWs instead.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,724,791 times
Actually, the VW's aren't bad. They really aren't even noticeable. True, I hate the buzzing noises of the fart cans but there really aren't too many of them and they don't affect any of the activities one might do during a vacation. They're not in the restaurants or the bars and the hotels have many vacancy's available. That crowd doesn't really have any money to spend so they just gather in whatever field is set aside for them outside of town. They really are a non-issue. There aren't too many of them at all.

The bikes, however, would be an issue if someone doesn't want to deal with them. The restaurants and the bars are packed. The hotels are full. The noise. The burnouts. It's called Delmarva bike week and it has gotten pretty big. No, it's not like Daytona but we are starting to see a bunch of bikers from SC on up to Maine and west to the Mississippi. It pretty much covers the whole central part of Delmarva with OC being a main gathering place. Personally, I think it's good for the town and there aren't really any problems. No more then a typical summer weekend. But I figured it should be mentioned for someone to consider it if they are planning a weekend get away.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 AM

9,419 posts, read 5,209,705 times
No doubt Bike Week is a big thing and great for the town. Bikers are not a bad bunch but those damn things are loud as Hell and really annoying when you are trying to relax on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland