U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:33 PM

794 posts, read 547,580 times

Advertisements

Shoot down to 50/301, and take it all the way up via the Eastern Shore. Nice paved ride, minimal traffic and just the one bay bridge toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:37 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
Quote:
You used to be able to buy a decal for $10 that would let you cross the Hatem Bridge (US-40) an unlimited number of times for a year, but they got rid of that, however you can still get a Maryland EZ-Pass and add the Hatem Bridge package to it and accomplish the same result. If you travel that way frequently, this may be the way to go. I agree that Route 1 is a major detour and a hassle unless you're going to western Philly suburbs.
Yeah it would HAVE to be frequently to make it worth the cost of just having the EX Pass. MD EZ Pass charges an initial fee AND a monthly charge just to have the darn transponder. I think that in addition to the initial amount (don't know how much that is) the MONTHLY fee is 18.00 a year. So that kind of defeats the purpose of saving money.

(You do get a 10% discount on MD tolls but you'd still have to use toll roads worth 180.00 a year to get that back and break even just on the cost of having EZ Pass.)

Quote:
Shoot down to 50/301, and take it all the way up via the Eastern Shore. Nice paved ride, minimal traffic and just the one bay bridge toll.
Trust me. I looked at that and was going to post about that option, especially when going north from the Bowie-Crofton area. Going that way is about 20 minutes -- and 10 miles longer. But the Ches. Bay Bridge has a toll as well.

Last edited by selhars; 06-07-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 01:01 AM

6,532 posts, read 11,616,970 times
PHyxius I'm saying it allows people who can't afford a car to move to the suburbs. And that is how the criminal element begins and takes root in the suburbs. And with the ghetto influx comes decreasing quality in addition to crime, like when you have hoodrats blasting rap music all night long and selling drugs on the streets.

Now with the tolls its amazing what people in Maryland are willing to put up with. Mabye they should compare Baltimore's tolls with those of Norfolk, which is also located by the Chesapeake Bay in a similar geographical environment with tunnels.

These bridges and tunnels are all free.......videos definitely worth it for the impressive architecture alone, especially the first one......and all these had more construction and engineering involved than the Key Bridge or the Fort McHenry Tunnel. The infrastructure of the Southern and Western states are not falling apart as the Democrat tax loving, toll hiking doomsayers claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg7mViugVds

Crossing the Varina Bridge over the James River on I-295 south of Richmond - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWur19vjBk

Old 06-08-2013, 08:59 AM

756 posts, read 1,809,330 times
Another reason not to take the Route 1 excursion is that it avoids Delaware. But going thru Delaware is a good thing if one needs to buy something expensive that is taxable in NJ, PA or MD. Atleast it can offset the tolls.

There is a commuter discount on the Hatem Bridge (Rt 40).
http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/Toll_Ra...tem_rates.html

The Choice B option seems to be a good discount if one has an EZPass Maryland account. It doesn't seem to be possible to be combined with an EZPass account from another state.

Although one could possibly do Choice A and just keep a separate account/transponder for that bridge, while using EZPass from another state (for example) for all other crossings. It doesn't appear that being a MD resident is a requirement either for applying for Choice A. I think I will apply for this.

Last edited by avg12; 06-08-2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 AM

7,456 posts, read 5,444,530 times
The whole thing is a joke - the tolls to cross the Tyding Memorial Bridge are much higher than the tolls to cross the Bay Bridges, despite those 2 bridges being much larger and thus requiring more money to maintain. The theory is that Maryland just bilks out-of-state drivers using I-95 and then uses those extra revenues to keep the tolls lower on the Bay Bridges. Of course, this hoses people like me who go up I-95 to visit family and who rarely use the Bay Bridges at all.

That, and as others have said, the concept of toll roads is something out of the 1950's - stopping on a freeway to hand somebody some cash?! Even slowing to a crawl to use EZ-Pass is absurd. Do away with the tolls, raise the gas tax, and be done with it. I'd still pay the same, but I wouldn't have to have the lunacy of it thrown in my face every time it costs me now $8 to cross a bridge.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:19 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,727,693 times
Rambler, on the NJ tpke, the tolls are at the exits... So you slow down just once. Express easy pass collects tolls at 55mph in De and elsewhere.

How do you propose highways get funded? If it offends you so to pay for the infrastructure you are using perhaps you could try the aforementioned "free" route.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 AM

3,137 posts, read 7,885,316 times
The entirety of the JFK Memorial Highway is designated a "toll road" by the state of MD, so the idea is that the $8 you pay covers all 50 miles of 95 from Baltimore to the DE border in both directions. When you price it out, $8/100 miles = 8 cents a mile, which is in line with other states' tolls. Admittedly, this is unfair to people who don't use the full 100 miles. They are paying much more than 8 cents per mile.

The Bay Bridge toll is only for the Bay Bridge. US 50 on both sides of the bridge is considered a free highway.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 PM
rfp

337 posts, read 548,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The entirety of the JFK Memorial Highway is designated a "toll road" by the state of MD ...
Only the bridge itself is a tollway. The rest of I-95 in Md, both north and south of the bridge to the tunnel, is a freeway.

If that bridge were in Chicago, it would have been sold or leased by now. The Chicago Skyway for example, an 8-mile roadway/bridge over the Indiana Harbor, was leased for 99 years to Ferrovial SA of Madrid (Spain) for $1.83 billion (paid in cash, lump sum) in 2005. The $1.83 billion disappeared in a matter of weeks to pay off debt.

If any structure in this town is leasable or salable, we lease it or sell it. This city is in deep, deep, do-do financially.

Last edited by rfp; 06-08-2013 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 01:53 PM

3,137 posts, read 7,885,316 times
Not sure where you got your info but it is incorrect.

MdTA toll facilities: Northern Region: JFK Highway

Directly from the MDTA website: "The highway was developed as an interstate toll facility to hasten the construction of a safe and convenient thoroughfare through the northeastern part of Maryland."

Also note the map at MdTA Toll Facility Locations which clearly shows the entirety of the highway as a toll facility. Your $8 goes to funding maintenance of the entire JFK Highway, not just the bridge.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:20 PM
rfp

337 posts, read 548,964 times
I-95 can be entered and exited at multiple points along I-95 without paying a toll. Therefore it is not a tollway. If you look on a state map of Maryland, you will see that that portion of I-95 is colored green, as are all the other freeways in Md. Tollways are colored yellow.

Just because the bridge tolls are used for I-95 maintenance does not make I-95 a tollway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or