U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,639,782 times

Advertisements

Take a look at map #4.

22 Maps That Show The Deepest Linguistic Conflicts In America - Business Insider

I had no idea that Texas and Maryland are the only places that pronounce it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
There are lot's of places where you wouldn't know how locals say it. (like LY-mah Ohio, or the New MAD-rid fault and WIH'i-ster, not Worchester, Mass)

Bowie is one of those places. Not knowing -- I'd say BOH'-ee....but clearly once you live here you learn.

(Maybe it was asked and just not shown, but another word that varied pronunciations is "doll." Being from Philly (and the MidAtlantic in general,) I say DAHL....because of the New England accent influence, people in Boston and that broader region say DAWL. Once I heard a New Englander say it and it was so obvious, I never forgot it.)

Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 PM

631 posts, read 1,038,431 times
I pronounce it BOO-wee....

People mispronounce Wicomico (where im originally from) as We-co-meco. Also Worcester would be pronounced Wor-Chester... When I first moved to the PG County for Grad school. I would say BOH-ee (Bowie), Law-ral (Laurel), Wool-dorf (waldorf), Acka-keek (Acokeek)

My poor Eastern Shore accent made the PG locals laugh for days.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 PM

494 posts, read 645,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
I pronounce it BOO-wee....

People mispronounce Wicomico (where im originally from) as We-co-meco. Also Worcester would be pronounced Wor-Chester... When I first moved to the PG County for Grad school. I would say BOH-ee (Bowie), Law-ral (Laurel), Wool-dorf (waldorf), Acka-keek (Acokeek)

My poor Eastern Shore accent made the PG locals laugh for days.
Ha! I see we have lived in a few similar spots. I always said Boo-w ( w sorta silent ) ee ( correct way ) and i have heard the same with how some people pronounce Wicomico and Worcester when i lived in OC.

Another city name i have heard variations of is Newark. Have ( Hear this in Ohio ) new-erk and or neu-erk ( w silent and sounding like a u instead ) and then ofcourse New-ark which is how most in MD/DE etc pronounce it.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Also Worcester would be pronounced Wor-Chester...

I know it's not "Wooster", like in England or Massachusetts, but with no "h" in the name, isn't it pronounced as "Wor-ces-ter", or is the "h" sound added by locals? Also, wasn't it originally pronounced as "Wooster", but the pronunciation changed by resolution following the War of 1812 to get rid of the British-style pronunciation?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
My freinds from NE (Boston and Rhode Island) -- pronounced it more like "whister" -- probably a take-off of wuhster with the "O" sound almost like "wool"-- NOT "uh." They definitely did not say WOO'-ster.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 AM

631 posts, read 1,038,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I know it's not "Wooster", like in England or Massachusetts, but with no "h" in the name, isn't it pronounced as "Wor-ces-ter", or is the "h" sound added by locals? Also, wasn't it originally pronounced as "Wooster", but the pronunciation changed by resolution following the War of 1812 to get rid of the British-style pronunciation?
I was referring to the non locals pronouncing it. When i lived there it was pronounced 2 ways.. Old/Elderly Locals would say "Wooster" younger (under 35) would say "Wor-ces-ter" When we were enrolled in school, our teacher made us pronounce the latter in class. I'm an 80s baby, raised in the 90s if that matters

Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I was referring to the non locals pronouncing it. When i lived there it was pronounced 2 ways.. Old/Elderly Locals would say "Wooster" younger (under 35) would say "Wor-ces-ter" When we were enrolled in school, our teacher made us pronounce the latter in class. I'm an 80s baby, raised in the 90s if that matters

Thanks for the info. I was confused by your reference to "Wor-Chester".

I'm surprised that older residents would say "Wooster". I thought that pronunciation had been done away with, particularly on the Eastern Shore, long ago.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,146,703 times
Maryland is messed up. I still hear conflicting reports whether Dundalk is pronounced like it looks or "Dun-dawk". I've never heard Bowie pronounced as anything other than BOO-ey like Howard Sterns sidekick Baba Booey other than by people not from here.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,605,701 times
My sister-in-law was born and raised in Worcester and she has always called it Woosta, as do I. For me, Bowie is pronounced boo-ee. Newark... Nuark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or