Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 03:41 PM

142 posts, read 537,884 times

Advertisements

So husband and I lived in DC for a while, moved to Columbia to start a family and have been there 5 years. Now, I think I'm about to sell and put an offer on a house in Admiral's Heights. I know school aren't as good but was thinking the quality of life, overall, would be better. i love the convenience and traffic flow in columbia but hate how there are no walkable/charming shopping/dining areas. we always so we will go to baltimore for such things but we never do since its so far and never know where to park. have a 1yr old and 3 yr old. i dont know annapolis real well but it obviously has a cute downtown area. maybe it would get old fast. i dont know. i know its not going to have the great arts/culture scene that baltimore has but what does it have? i know i need to be more specific in my question but my kids start screaming when i'm on the computer. might be putting in an offer tommorow. freaking out!!!! any thoughts at all? i work from home and husband's commute is the same from columbia as it is from annapolis so non-issue. we will be able to get a nicer house but worse schools. but, as i said, looking for charm...culture...gotta go. plz help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:05 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannobanano View Post
might be putting in an offer tommorow. freaking out!!!! any thoughts at all?
Slow down and think about it some more.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Annapolis to Baltimore is only 10 miles further than Columbia to Baltimore.

If you're OK with the other changes this move will entail, and the major thing you're worried about is arts and culture, I'd say you're making a huge upgrade. You'll be living minutes from Annapolis and you're only a little further from Baltimore. DC is not far either.

City-Data has a little write up on Annapolis arts and culture:

http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...ecreation.html

The local paper (The Capital Gazette) has an entertainment section with listings of arts events:

CapitalGazette.com: Entertainment | Local

Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I think you will be OK. Annapolis is an authentic small city, and what always bothered me about Columbia was that it is so artificial and planned. I think the charm and walkability of Annapolis will be worth it.

The schools may be ranked lower, but good parenting can make up for a lot of deficiencies.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM

14 posts, read 45,661 times
It depends where you move to in Annapolis. I have heard very good things about Rolling Knolls elementary .

Old 06-14-2013, 05:53 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannobanano View Post
i love the convenience and traffic flow in columbia but...
we always say we will go to baltimore for such things but we never do..
have a 1yr old and 3 yr old...
i work from home and husband's commute
looking for charm...culture
If you are to move anywhere... move CLOSER to his job.
Or to a better school district.

Beyond that... do something constructive for regular date nights.
Once a week at least for something casual
Once a month at least for a real evening out.

Think babysitters... not bigger mortgages.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:28 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Yes, indeed MrRational is spot on:
-- Closer to his job than you are now (or at least same distance) but try not to relocate to a WORSE commute for him, which depending on locations could be same distance but worse traffic
-- and/or better schools than you have now.

How does HE feel about the possible move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland