U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 05:10 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,770,893 times

Advertisements

I made the mistake of buying a home in an HOA. While the fees aren't crazy, the board members are. Anyway, I am selling and want to stay in AA county since my husband works in Annapolis. My question: How to find houses in the county that are NOT in HOA? Is there a website or a way to search on realtor.com or something?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,635,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Is there a website or a way to search on realtor.com or something?
One way to eliminate many is to specify to Realtor.com that you want a half-acre or more lot size. That will eliminate most of the ones in newer developments. Or you could specify ones older than 30 years. Houses in a waterfront community will also probably have an HOA to manage the waterfront facilities, so eliminate them. You will be left with older houses on larger lots which are probably further out in the county.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:26 PM

Thanks, I'll try that. Older homes & bigger lots sound fantastic to me.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 PM

116 posts, read 163,057 times
Redfin is my favorite RE site to use. Much more user friendly than Realtor.com. IMO. In Redfin, under search listings, they have "more options" in there it has "Max HOA" it lets you choose No HOA or the amount limit.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
Redfin is my favorite RE site to use. Much more user friendly than Realtor.com. IMO. In Redfin, under search listings, they have "more options" in there it has "Max HOA" it lets you choose No HOA or the amount limit.
Thanks. Incidentally, I was looking around Millersville. I love that area near Cecil and noticed some properties for sale there.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 AM

200 posts, read 486,914 times
Older neighborhoods may have less onerous HOAs. If you talk to an experienced real estate agent, they may be able to point to some neighborhoods without HOAs or with more relaxed HOAs. (I'm thinking of Cape St. Claire that has a very mild HOA mostly to maintain the beaches. I think it is only $10 per year (!) and restrictions on what you can do on your property are minimal.)

Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
Older neighborhoods may have less onerous HOAs. If you talk to an experienced real estate agent, they may be able to point to some neighborhoods without HOAs or with more relaxed HOAs. (I'm thinking of Cape St. Claire that has a very mild HOA mostly to maintain the beaches. I think it is only $10 per year (!) and restrictions on what you can do on your property are minimal.)
Thanks, but that's how I got stuck with the awful HOA I'm stuck in now. I bought my current house over 10 years ago. I love the neighborhood and my house. When I first bought it, the HOA was a non-issue. We paid a total of $200 a year for pool, tennis, and bikepath. No issues whatsoever. Now, the dues aren't so bad, but the HOA has morphed into a group of power-tripping-busy-body-neighbors. The management company is completely out of control. Now we are all subject to seasonal inspections, twice-monthly lawn checks, numerous other rules. They have gone way beyond the bylaws and are currently targeting a neighbor who disagreed with them at a board meeting. It is just awful and I'm not sticking around. No way will I ever buy into an HOA again.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM

32,116 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Quite honestly it will be difficult to find anything built in the last 20 or so years not subject to a HOA regime almost anywhere in SoMD from Central Ave. going south, especially if it's in a recognized sub-division (The Greens of_________, Bandit's Cove, etc.). Older houses (50+ years old) generally are not HOA.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:56 PM

19 posts, read 21,142 times
How about finding a good experienced Realtor who can find what your looking for. I have just the person if interested.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 PM

373 posts, read 540,278 times
I feel your pain. We will be selling soon to escape an HOA. They suck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland