U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,063 times

Advertisements

I recently got offered a job in Annapolis, Maryland for 40k a year. The job itself sounds pretty great, but I want to know if I can live comfortably on $40,000 a year in Annapolis. I've tried to look up the cost of living for the area and I've read a few threads about the city, but I haven't found a definitive answer one way or the other, so I thought I would ask here.

Can a single lady rent a one bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood of Annapolis if she's only making 40k a year, and then still have enough money left over after basic living expenses to put away into savings? Or would she be struggling on 40k?

I'd also love to know if anyone has any recommendations about where to look for apartments. Good neighborhoods? Reputable rental companies?

Also, would it be worth it to live in a nearby city and commute. Would I save money by living in Baltimore or another town/city and driving to Annapolis each day?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I would really appreciate some guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,613,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Ferris View Post
I recently got offered a job in Annapolis, Maryland for 40k a year. The job itself sounds pretty great, but I want to know if I can live comfortably on $40,000 a year in Annapolis.
I couldn't call $40K a year a comfortable salary to live on in Annapolis.

I figured you could spend 28% to 33% of your monthly gross on rent, so $933 to $1100/month is your range for an apartment. I used Hotpads.com, and found there were a few apartments in that range but they did not look great.

I think you would have more options if you look further away towards Millersville or Glen Burnie.

I'm not sure you could save money, but you might if you were frugal. It might be worth it if there is promotion potential in the job.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM

26,831 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
I recently got offered a job in Annapolis, Maryland for 40k a year.
$40K in Annapolis means sharing a house with someone else.
Ideally a house VERY close to work so you can walk or bicycle...
and ditch most vehicle expenses.

Have your dates do the social driving.
Rent a car for a weekend now and then.
Shop with someone and buy their lunch.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 AM

671 posts, read 1,252,125 times
$40K in Annapolis? I hope you like drugs and bullets because you'll probably be forced to live in areas that have lots of both of those things.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM

116 posts, read 162,905 times
Not in Annapolis, try outside the city a few miles. Crofton, Odenton maybe, not Glen Burnie, it's gone to crap.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:01 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,578,056 times
I wouldn't do it. That is far too low a salary. I am certain some people make it work, but with roommates, and really strict budgets. Just doing a cost of living comparison from Dallas, TX (not sure where you live, but it was on the list so I used it, doesn't look great:

A salary of $40,000 in Dallas, Texas should increase to $62,994 in Annapolis, Maryland
DallasU.S. Avg.Annapolis
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Cost of Living IndexesDallasAnnapolisOverall88138Food98111Housing52227Utilities105112Transportation105102Health10099Miscellaneous10197100=national average

Annapolis is 57% more expensive than Dallas.
Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Housing is 334% more expensive in Annapolis.

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2013 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 11,063 times
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm going to be keeping up the job hunt. Thanks again!

Old 06-27-2013, 04:20 AM

9,404 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connectikunt View Post
I'm glad to hear you're giving this area a pass. I've either lived here full-time or kept at least one foot in Annapolis/A. A. County my whole life, and $40k is barely enough to be miserable on in Annapolis, especially these days. New taxes are always being invented and existing ones are always rising. (Rain tax, anyone? Or how about subsidizing another deserted governnment-owned $300M hotel that loses $12M a year?) Architecture sucks. Vacant strip malls and cheaply built cookie-cutter developments, everywhere. Less-than-optimal race relations. People aren't too bright, or at least not very educated or sophisticated down here, but they think they are. Really no arts or culture to speak of. Draconian laws and a very heavy-handed, oppressive police culture. Crime, a lot of it. Abysmal environmental stewardship. Violent schools. Overburdened roads, heavy traffic. The worst drivers in the nation (according to figures from AAA). Governance is at best, incompetent, and at worst, corrupt. I'm pretty sure smoking crack is the state pastime. If you like the region, Virginia is a much saner bet.
If this is really how you feel then you must be the one smoking crack to have spent your entire life either living or keeping "one foot" in such a Hell Hole.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:53 PM

418 posts, read 419,004 times
I know this is an old post but I don't think you can live comfortably in Annapolis or the surrounding area on 40,000 unless you have roommates. If you are single lady looking for someone then the DC Metro area is a difficult place to find someone unless you are a woman with a a really great job and beautiful. Men in DC Metro area, including Annapolis have their pick of women. Most of the men are status oriented and only care about where you went to school and where you work. I agree with DaveinMtAiry. It is highly over rated.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:25 AM

29 posts, read 41,975 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm going to be keeping up the job hunt. Thanks again!
I'm a realtor for the area and can say that there are good and iffy places no matter where you want to live. A 1 bedroom apartment in Annapolis is going to run you around $1200 a month on the low end usually. Arnold is just outside of Annapolis with an easy commute and is a bit cheaper, however you're still going to be looking around the $1200 range anywhere within a stones throw of Annapolis. Good luck with the job search and if I can be of help feel free to send me a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland