Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,157 times

Advertisements

We are new to Ellicott City, and now are looking for our new home around Ellicott City and Western Howard. Any parent can share thoughts and comments about any of the high, middle and elementary schools would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,213 times
There aren't a lot of Howard County people on this board, and even fewer parents. I'd try greatschools or schooldigger for specific comments, but all of those schools are well regarded, and all Howard County schools are on the same curriculum. I would personally not want my kids in Centennial because I think the level of competition is too intense, but that's very much a personal preference thing. The elementary schools and middle schools in Howard County are carved up differently from the high schools, so it is possible to have classmates in elementary school who do not go to the same middle school as you, and to have classmates in middle school that will not go to the same high school. Note that Howard County will be undergoing middle school redistricting this year, though it is not going to have a significant effect on the western part of the county.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,719 times
These are all very good school districts, elementary through high school. Glenelg is the least diverse. It's very white. Centennial has a very large percentage of Asians. The free-and-reduced lunch rate at Hebron is a little higher than the other three but still lower than many of the other schools in the county. My kids went to Centennial. It's competitive, but I wonder if that reputation is due to the large Asian population. We liked it fine and never wished we were at a different school. If it matters, Marriotts Ridge is a significantly newer building than the other three high schools. Centennial is currently the most over capacity. MR and Glenelg are well under capacity, and MH is pretty much spot on. At any rate, I think you would be happy at any of the schools in these districts. They're all great.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:00 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
As J_Lurk indicated, all four are great. I think if you've narrowed to those four, you will be looking at other factors - type of house you want, locations, specific school programs you're looking for etc.

Our kid will feed to MR (in Manor Woods Elementary now), and we did consider Centennial based on the long standing reputation. But we found THE HOUSE for us. I don't think we would be any less happy in any of the other three areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland