U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,544 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I will be relocating to Salisbury, MD. from NH in about 2 months...... WHY? simple! I did an online quiz and this city was my #1 choice given my criteria. So........ here goes the series of questions.

1. Where is the best place to find an apartment with these restrictions.
a. Renting $600-$800
b. Not Downtown unless a modern loft
c. Preferably outskirts of down town
d. Low crime
e. Where can I find a newspaper online?

2. What areas should I stay away from?

3. What Performance Arts are there in Salisbury? Is there any "cutting edge' theater?

4. I want to start my business model there. (a unique concept of live theater) Will it work there?

5. Is there a good sense of COMMUNITY there? Collaborations, working together, chamber or commerce?

6. Closest VA hospital? Is it Bethesda Medical Center? Phone Number?

7. Contact information for....
a. Post Office
b. DMV
c. Electric for apartment
d. Cable
e. Any other Utilities I need to worry about?

8. What is the states Sales Tax? Any other taxes?

9. What tips can you give me to better fit in?

10. What should I not do?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 03:14 PM

26,837 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdelancey View Post
I will be relocating to Salisbury, MD. from NH in about 2 months......
WHY? simple! I did an online quiz and this city was my #1 choice given my criteria.
Salisbury is a rural crossroads in the middle of flat corn and chicken country
where they built a teachers college.

What was your criteria?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,760,113 times
If you want to stay on the Eastern Shore, Easton might actually be a better fit for you.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:31 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,613,184 times
Quote:
3. What Performance Arts are there in Salisbury? Is there any "cutting edge' theater?

4. I want to start my business model there. (a unique concept of live theater) Will it work there?
The closest "cutting edge" theater is probably in Philadelphia. This is the theater department at Salisbury State: Salisbury University - Theatre & Dance

I don't you have much chance of attracting an audience. It's fairly conservative farm country.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
I would recommend Cumberland, on the opposite side of the state. We meet your price point criteria, and have a small, but strong arts community that you could network with. We have professional theatre, community theatre, and a college in Frostburg (same county) that puts on good theatre productions.

Here is a newspaper to look through

Homepage Cumberland Times-News

Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I will be relocating to Salisbury, MD. from NH in about 2 months...... WHY? simple! I did an online quiz and this city was my #1 choice given my criteria.
I hope you visit Salisbury first before you move. Make sure it is where you really want to be.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,725,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I hope you visit Salisbury first before you move. Make sure it is where you really want to be.
Yeah I would not trust an online quiz. Salisbury is Ok but I can't imagine the questions - and responses - that produced it as a result.

Maybe you were on the Perdue chicken website?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM

There's apparently a site called Findmyspot, which is an online quiz . Since the OP is a rookie, he/she may not know about searching the forum. May of your question are discussed in the following threads. My answer to one of the OP's questions is that the nearest VA hospital would be either Baltimore or Perry Point, and you can find the distance on Google maps.

Wondering about moving from PA to Salisbury???

small towns Near Salisbury or Annapolis

Possibly moving to Salisbury for a job, thoughts?

A Question About Salisbury & The Delmarva Shorebirds

Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 17,955 times
Quote:
a. Renting $600-$800
d. Low crime
You will not meet all of these criteria. The apartment complex we lived in started at $900 for a one bedroom apartment and it was one of the nicer ones in town. We were lucky enough to score a small house in a decent neighborhood for $200/week but that is a very rare beast in Salisbury.

Quote:
e. Where can I find a newspaper online?
The Daily Times or WBOC TV 16, Delmarva's News Leader, FOX 21 - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Quote:
Salisbury is not an artsy town. The closest we have is whatever Salisbury University provides for the students or some events in Ocean City during the summer. It is mostly farms and college students, and if you want any sort of "cutting edge" art you need to travel at least two hours in any direction. I wouldn't try starting that sort of business model here. While it would be nice to have some sort of culture here, I would not see it thriving with the locals.

Quote:
8. What is the states Sales Tax?
6%.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:23 PM

15 posts, read 29,735 times
Quote:
Hello all,
I will be relocating to Salisbury, MD. from NH in about 2 months...... WHY? simple! I did an online quiz and this city was my #1 choice given my criteria. So........ here goes the series of questions.

a. Renting $600-$800
anywhere should be good, salisbury isn't really known for expensive real estate
Quote:
try runaway bay, its on the other side of the city from downtown, but right next to the mall.
for a place closer to downtown try the parkside apartments.
Quote:
d. Low crime
any where on the northside should be fine, basically from the mall north.

Quote:
2. What areas should I stay away from?
the southside except the university, the westside except maybe pemberton, fruitland, lake street, and church street in general. whether east or west side church street is just terrible.
Quote:
the civic center puts on llots of live performances, theres an arts fair downtown every spring, and the university always has something going on, there is also an ampitheatre being constructed in delmar, just north of the city
Quote:
might as well give it a shot, if you set up downtown you'll definitely get the mayor's blessing. plus there are plenty of artsy types at the university.
Quote:
5. Is there a good sense of COMMUNITY there? Collaborations, working together, chamber or commerce?
well theres a chamber of commerce, and the city and university definately have strong collaboration. that said our current city council is like a microcosm of the current political climate in washington.

Quote:
7. Contact information for....
a. Post Office
Address: 129 E Main St, Salisbury, MD 21801
Phone:(410) 572-8662
Quote:
b. DMV
251 Tilghman Road
Salisbury, MD 21801

410-768-7000
Quote:
c. Electric for apartment
2530 N Salisbury Blvd, Salisbury MD
website delmarva.com
Quote:
d. Cable
e. Any other Utilities I need to worry about?
Address: 6465 Hobbs Rd, Salisbury, MD 21804
Phone:(410) 231-3965
Quote:
8. What is the states Sales Tax? Any other taxes?
6%

Quote:
9. What tips can you give me to better fit in?

10. What should I not do?
don't hang around any of the streets I mentioned, if you decide to settle at runaway bay, the management is always throwing parties for you to meet new people. hang around the university, and visit downtown, you'll fit in fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I don't you have much chance of attracting an audience. It's fairly conservative farm country.
while wicomico county at large maybe, I doubt the city is that conservative. our mayor is an openly gay democrat, and we did just re-elect him by a landslide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland