Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 AM

70 posts, read 135,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You sound like a great person but all I know about you is this.

"Interesting all the responses here..I grew up in Waco, Texas and I would never live in the bible belt racist south again...I lived in Massachusetts for 20 years and loved it..Yeah, all those "high" taxes paid for WONDERFUL services that dont exist in Maryland....Thats what alot of people dont get. In EVERY small town, there was culture, the arts, open space, nature, educational resources galore...and healthcare for everyone..regardless of how much you could afford....So why am I not there?...I moved to marry my husband, he has a very good job is here.....I hated Montgomery County, it had far worse traffic than Boston...So we compromised and moved to the Eastern Shore near Kent Island...Yes, there are rednacks and bible belters here but nothing like what I saw in Virginia and the lower Shore....Being near Annapolis does help weed that out....The Upper Shore towns like Chestertown and Easton and Centreville and Queenstown are changing fast with people leaving Mont County and willing to commute to work by the bus service they have in Kent Island...Ive spoken to several people who moved here several years before we did and they already see rapid change in the number of educated people moving here....Nothing can compare here...I ride my bike and see eagle, osprey, deer by the hundreds, fox, quail, wild turkey....My garden has salamanders, monarch and swallowtail butterflies so thick it looks like a swarm, and plenty of frogs and toads...which is the sign of a very healthy ecosystem...Those amphibians and insects are very sensitive to pollution are are the first to leave a polluted area, which is why one doesnt see them much in Mont Co. ...All of this and the clean air and clear nite sky is worth the occassional stupid redneck for me..We pray that this doesnt change but if it does, we are moving too.....out of the country."

Calling people stupid rednecks doesn't reflect any of the compassion you seem to have for the other groups you work with at your church. Throwing regions like Virginia, Waco Texas and lower shore of Maryland under the bus is tasteless as well.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you were having a bad day, and just letting off some steam. Still, you have to realize your attitude and mentality are very different from mine and others. A house 20 years old where I lived would be called a "new house." Most of the housing stock in my county dates from 1940 and much prior. My house was built in 1916, as most others on my block. I sometimes wonder what the hillside my house sits on would have looked like before the neighborhood was constructed.....You can ask most of the locals what your piece of paradise looked like before 1990 and get a good description.

It is great when stable or declining regions, like where I live or the Eastern Shore, receives new residents. It is also great when those people work earnestly to help their new homes.

But, the condescending attitude you displayed in your first post is the fastest way to alienate people in traditional communities. We are not perfect, many of us are "Bible Belters" or "Stupid Rednecks" but throwing around epithets and insults, you would never dare utter against your chosen groups for outreach, turns people off and brands you as a hypocrite.
WELL SAID!!! I wanted to stand up and cheer when I read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 AM

22 posts, read 54,045 times
Although I LOVE the Towson area, after graduating college, I plan on moving immediately. I have lived in the Harford/Baltimore Counties all my life, but am simply looking for change, and excitement. The top place on my list thus far is most likely Denver. Although other possible options are a city in Florida, or California.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,749 times
Hi, I am planning to leave MD due to professional compulsion but I don't want to. Because I love Maryland . Still I will have to move to VA. I know moving is very hectic job with family..

Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 AM

265 posts, read 506,340 times
We're planning on moving in a few years as I get close to retirement. I like living in MD but now with all the traffic, high taxes, crime it's time to go.
All states have their issues, but MD is taxing me so much and I am not rich or making a lot of money. Every time I get my mail somebody is raising my taxes, i.e BGE rates, property taxes, car tags registrations etc.
They are bleeding me dry. Looking either in SC, TN areas.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:51 AM

969 posts, read 2,846,279 times
Maryland Eastern Shore here - just a heads-up - The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is busy east AND west bound on Friday - Sat - Sunday this time of year - be patient and let others MERGE after the toll plaza - no one is getting to the beach any sooner than anyone else. Thank you

Old 07-17-2011, 07:29 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,669,108 times
I probably will because of jobs and government. I love this state, I really do, my dream is to have a house by the Chesapeake Bay. But the idiots in charge of this state are running it into the ground and it won't be long before it's another Michigan. The insanely high taxes drive all business into Virginia, and there are pretty much zero professional white-collar jobs outside of the DC and Baltimore areas. If you want to live somewhere affordable, quiet and NICE then you're looking at a very long commute into DC or Baltimore. The state is softer on crime than a lawless war zone like Somalia.

If we can vote a REAL leader into Annapolis instead of these talentless charlatans then maybe I'll stick around. But until then, I'll just get a MD tattoo and move to Virginia or the Pacific NW. And before anyone tells me that I should be voting, I unfortunately can't. Us permanent residents have to pay MD taxes but can't vote :/

Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 21,186 times
I was thinking of moving to York PA area just to find an affordable house, and drive to work each day in Baltimore, but darn thats a long drive

Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,669,108 times
You know there's something wrong when a job in Maryland doesn't pay enough for a person to live in Maryland.

**** you O'Malley you piece of ****!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,008,277 times
we will be leaving maryland as soon as DH retires. 17 months! why leave this wonderful state with all it's diversity and social something-or-other?

we dislike the traffic - both the amount and the road rage, we dislike the population density, we really dislike the taxes (especially living in PG county), we dislike the weather (especially this week!)... and being relatively conservative we do not care for living in democrat-land. I will miss all my friends tremendously, but that's what phone, internet and visiting is for! as soon as we get through christmas of 2012.. MD can eat our dust! we're heading nawth to New Hamphsa.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,714,329 times
I haven't posted on this site in a looong while. Almost forgot my screen name. :-P

I imagine most of the people posting on here are much older than I, but I've thought about this as well. As much as I love this state, as many people I've had discussions with on this site can attest, I wouldn't retire here. Except for a few years in high school I've spent my entire life here and I love it. The varied culture, geography, an in such a small area d people that Maryland has to offer in such a small area is unmatched. Not to mention it's the wealthiest and one of the most economically sound states thanks to the federal govt. It's position in the Mid-atlantic part of the NE means it's relatively close to everywhere in the East and nothing within the state is too far due to its small size. Of course being a staunch liberal on most issues doesn't hurt either considering the state's one-sided politics, although I do take issue with the lazy, do-nothing legislature.

All that said I can definitely see myself leaving when I retire many years from now. There's just too much going on here, my biggest issue by far being crime and the short-sighted county councils who think building low-income housing in "nice" areas is going to have no effect on safety and schools. It would also be nice if I wasn't soaking in sweat for half the year and freezing cood the other half.

I would most likely move to Florida, one of my favorite states. I've been to and love practically every major city there from Jacksonville to Miami, although Tampa is definitely my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland