U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM

14 posts, read 28,660 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a good job in Annapolis. If it comes through my fiancé and I will be relocating to the area. We are both in our 40’s and the kids are grown and out of the house. We are both active and social people. Can anyone recommend nice areas to live where the people are friendly and we can establish a social network? We are considering Annapolis, but are also interested in learning about towns east and north of Annapolis.

We are currently in northern NJ (near NYC) and want to escape the congestion. So, we don’t mind less urban towns. I also don’t mind a 30 minute (one way) commute. We can afford a house between 500K – 575K. Any recommendations?

We really appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM

11,100 posts, read 18,692,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickback Guy View Post
Can anyone recommend nice areas to live where the people are friendly and we can establish a social network? We are considering Annapolis, but are also interested in learning about towns east and north of Annapolis. ......So, we don’t mind less urban towns. I also don’t mind a 30 minute (one way) commute. We can afford a house between 500K – 575K. Any recommendations?
I haven't checked prices there lately, but if you don't mind an older house, check out Sherwood Forest. It is (or was) a close community.

Otherwise, try Edgewater and Crownsville, especially places that have waterfront access. Severna Park also has lower priced houses, but you can sometime find a nicer one.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 AM

14 posts, read 28,660 times
Thanks for the advice. If we can afford housing in the 600K - 650K range, does that increase our options?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:24 AM

11,100 posts, read 18,692,023 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. If we can afford housing in the 600K - 650K range, does that increase our options?
Well, Annapolis is expensive. However, if your primary criteria is friendly people and community activities, I don't think it matters to increase the price range. There will probably be more of a desire for privacy among higher income people.

I would look for a community which has amenities like a boat launch area, tennis courts, and other things to bring people together. My favorite places were in Edgewater, where you could get a 3200 SF house built in the last 15 years for about 525K-550K. I favor a house with less maintenance over a vintage or historic house.

FWIW, I checked Sherwood Forest, and the cheapest house there was $595K for a 1400 SF cottage with water damage which needed a lot of work. The amenities in the community are great, however you have to spend $800K to get a livable house.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 PM

116 posts, read 163,534 times
Crofton, Crownsville, Millersville, Severna Park, Arnold are all within your range and budget.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:31 PM

103 posts, read 217,812 times
The closer you are to Downtown Annapolis, the more expensive the house will be. If you are in Annapolis "suburbs" (pretty much all of Anne Arundel County), the less expensive it will be. Nearby towns with homes in your budget with water privileges are Edgewater, Pasadena, Arnold, and Crofton. Your cheapest option out of those towns will be probably be either Pasadena or Edgewater. Edgewater is closer to Downtown Annapolis, so I highly suggest looking there.

I was searching for you and found this home in the town of Annapolis which might interest you.
Homesite 45, Annapolis, MD 21409 is For Sale - Zillow

Good luck! And welcome to the Annapolis area!

Old 01-01-2014, 06:05 PM

2,052 posts, read 4,855,059 times
Quote:
We are currently in northern NJ (near NYC) and want to escape the congestion. So, we don’t mind less urban towns. I also don’t mind a 30 minute (one way) commute. We can afford a house between 500K – 575K. Any recommendations?
You're not going to escape congestion ANYWHERE in the Annapolis area. Traffic becomes snarled very easily and often. Moving through Annapolis proper can become impossible on one of the many weekends when there are events planned. Vehicle accidents occur often and have the same effect of snarling traffic.

I'd look at Kent Island and put up with the commute to Annapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland