U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,132 times

Advertisements

This might be the wrong forum in which to post this but I'm hoping someone who might be somewhat knowledgeable on any facet of MD rental/tenancy law might be able to help in some way.

My mother is having an issue right now with her sister who came to live with her about 5 years ago. My aunt is bipolar, suffers from severe depression and a personality disorder. When my aunt was evicted from where she was staying 5 years ago she basically showed up on my mom's doorstep and being the good woman my mom was she took her in. My aunt has quite a history because of her mental illness, such as pulling a knife on my grandmother and threatening to kill her. As of recent my aunt has stopped taking her medications properly, stays up for 4-5 days at a time and at that point almost goes in psychotic rages. About a year ago my mom had similar issues with her and they got so bad my mom had to go and file paper work to have her taken out of the house but nothing permanent. She ended up letting her back in the house after my grandmother laid a major guilt trip.

At this point she has gone nuts again, and my mother wants her out. Here's the issue. We know that she has to file an eviction notice, which would give my aunt 30 days to leave but she has already made it clear to my mother that if she tries to have her taken out of the house that she will destroy my mothers things and the apartment, of which my mother is renting. She has also vowed to do whatever she possibly can to have my mother thrown out as well. My aunt is not on the lease, but since she has been there for some time has of course established residency. This woman is crazy and we need help.

Any advice would be appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:34 AM

28,544 posts, read 62,270,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdashield View Post
My mother is having an issue right now with her sister who came to live with her about 5 years ago.
Any advice would be appreciated..
Psych issues aside:
Is the aunt a listed occupant on the lease? If not then she is a guest.
Does the LL allow guests? At all? Up to X days per year etc?

That said... Mom will still have to give her formal written notice to leave.
I'd say no less than 30 days... and then be prepared for an ugly fight.

Recognizing the psych issues:
The next and better alternative is to move the aunt.
Find an appropriate place that will take her. Set it up, pay something, hire the truck, etc.
Doing this simultaneously to the legal eviction is probably required.

Beyond all this though... call the County Social Services office for help.
Get them involved.

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or