Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:37 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are at odds at where to move. We live in Fl , formerly NH. Husband doesn't want to go all the way back to NE and I'm conflicted. I miss the feel of New England towns but not 170 inches of snow. Are there any towns in Maryland withthat feel/look of New England ? Snow is okay I know you guys don't get as much as they do and would love autumn color. Years back while driving up to NH we stopped in this town off the highway (95 not the state backroads)and for the life us we cant find recipets or anything with the name, it's driven us crazy for 7+ years. It was beautiful, I think it had some brick streets( could be wrong) and where we ate the road forked off with a sign in the middle with the town name. maybe even gas light looking lamps on the road. I think the historic part was right off the highway area. Shot in the dark in the name of that town lol, but who knows maybe someone knows. we have driven the back state road up ti NH and it was beautiful so any towns out that way? do not want to be near Baltimore! We live in a VERY expensive town in Fla so dont want that! . any suggestions at all please!

Info to help:
I'm a stay at home mom (3 year old) with a culinary degree, former Waldorf Pastry Chef, I also make child
Clothing, diaper bags headbands etc from home with my sister for extra income
Husband- 911 dispatcher, about to have associates degree in Business and wants to get BA (possibly in Finance but uncertain) he is thinking of going into Insurance but for now will tranfer as dispatcher.
Would like to rent first year or two ideally $1100 or less with hopes to buy later. Income give or take $56k currently.

Good schools/parks/town green (ideally a charter school), realistically safe (crime is everywhere we know), collections of nice neighborhoods, town square (or decent downtown area) Pop. 100k or less but more is okay if the town is nice. If smaller maybe closer to a bigger town. Basic things like hospital in town is ideal.

I know no place is perfect and no place has everything but I'm just looking for something that will hit most of those targets.

Also comparatively anyone know roughly the taxes on homes in Maryland vs. NE? Rough guess on higher, lower, the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Years back while driving up to NH we stopped in this town off the highway (95 not the state backroads)and for the life us we cant find recipets or anything with the name, it's driven us crazy for 7+ years. It was beautiful, I think it had some brick streets( could be wrong) and where we ate the road forked off with a sign in the middle with the town name. maybe even gas light looking lamps on the road. I think the historic part was right off the highway area.
It could have been Havre de Grace, which is a lovely old town north of Baltimore, close to I-95. Charlestown, nearby, also have some historic older housing. Then, Ellicott City, Relay and Savage are south of Baltimore, and they each have some charming old sections.

Property taxes will be a little lower, but not by much. For example, in Montgomery County, we pay $5000 on a house valued at $380,000.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-11-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 06:38 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It could have been Havre de Grace, which is a lovely old town north of Baltimore, close to I-95. Charlestown, nearby, also have some historic older housing. Then, Ellicott City, Relay and Savage are south of Baltimore, and they each have some charming old sections.

Property taxes will be a little lower, but not by much. For example, in Montgomery County, we pay $5000 on a house valued at $380,000.
Thank you ! I googled quickly some of those towns and the closest one that it could possibly be is Havre De Grace.. It doesn't look exact I don't think but it was 7 years ago! I remember thr Main Street/road right off exit having a lot of trees.But that does look like a lovely town!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,947 times
Easton

Old 07-12-2013, 06:01 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,314 times
Maryland does not have many towns that feel like New England. Pennsylvania would be a much better bet for that.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
As mentioned above Havre de Grace is pretty much it for Central/Eastern MD. There are a few towns in Western MD that come close (as you'll get this far from the real thing):

- Cumberland
- Oakland
- Frostburg

They all have weather to match too.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 AM

252 posts, read 282,186 times
I would say Frederick.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 PM

7,015 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
As mentioned above Havre de Grace is pretty much it for Central/Eastern MD. There are a few towns in Western MD that come close (as you'll get this far from the real thing):

- Cumberland
- Oakland
- Frostburg

They all have weather to match too.
I have never been to New England, so I am not sure how my stomping ground compares.

But I would recommend the towns if securing employment there is possible. Jobs are tough to come by. For what it is worth, Oakland and Frostburg have pretty nasty winters, comparable to NE in snow fall. Cumberland is not as bad, we are in the rain shadow of the bigger mountains and in a deep valley that keeps the air a bit warmer.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:29 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times
Oxford

Old 07-14-2013, 11:58 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,758 times
Frederick or Hagerstown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland