Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 AM

23 posts, read 33,797 times

Advertisements

I have a situation that I need some advice about. I have a good job with a big company in Maryland with offices on the west coast and would really like to stay with this company. I want to relocate to the west coast in the coming 7-10 months and so the problem is when and how to handle it with my supervisors here in Maryland. I'm not sure what is the best way as I'd like to just do a transfer with the same company but realize that my current position will need to be filled too. So, do I tell them now about my projected plan and take the risk that they may just fill my position and fire me outright when they have someone new? Do I wait for 4-5 months and tell them then? Do I wait until 2-4 months before my planned move to tell them? The other issue is being able to access HR to apply for west coast positions. Obviously, I'd need my current supervisors to know before I could apply for the west coast positions so it would be easier if they knew my plans now. I guess the real issue is protecting myself from being unemployed, while also realizing that I'll have to give up my job security once I tell them and trust that I'll be kept on until I am ready next spring. How would you handle this situation? I appreciate any input and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Maddie2 View Post
I have a situation that I need some advice about. I have a good job with a big company in Maryland with offices on the west coast and would really like to stay with this company.....
I'd suggest re-posting the question in the Work and Employment forum in the General Forums section. There are too many variables for me to give a good answer, and there should be more expertise in that forum.

I would also write something about whether you have had good reviews. If you have a good record, it probably would be illegal to fire you for seeking to transfer. If you have a poor review, I don't know what the law is.

I have also heard about a large company (CSC) which had standard permission form if you wanted to transfer. I think you should first have a confidential talk with you HR department to find out if there is a standard form. Certainly do that before you talk to your boss.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 PM

342 posts, read 1,551,851 times
I'd line up the job out west first.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM

23 posts, read 33,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd suggest re-posting the question in the Work and Employment forum in the General Forums section. There are too many variables for me to give a good answer, and there should be more expertise in that forum.

I would also write something about whether you have had good reviews. If you have a good record, it probably would be illegal to fire you for seeking to transfer. If you have a poor review, I don't know what the law is.

I have also heard about a large company (CSC) which had standard permission form if you wanted to transfer. I think you should first have a confidential talk with you HR department to find out if there is a standard form. Certainly do that before you talk to your boss.

thanks for your posting goldenage1, great idea on posting in the other forum and I've done that. I do believe i'll be able to transfer, it is the timing that will be the biggest hurdle and truth is that I also own property that must be sold so that will take some work too.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM

342 posts, read 1,551,851 times
Okay, sell the property, fix your car, THEN line up the job on the west coast. Does the company post vacancies somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland