U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:30 AM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times

Advertisements

Ocean City has had some issues this summer with increases in fights/assaults. There was a shooting late June around 17th St. at one of the Boardwalk hotels. Too much booze, too much time, too much machismo.

Overall, though, it's still not a bad place to go with a family. I'm usually there for a week the end of June for a combination work trip (convention)/vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,253,013 times
We're actually headed their this Sunday for a week... staying at a Villa off of 120th street. My wife and I and another couple with our 4 month old. Should be a little "quieter" staying up north.... I see there's this place called Crab Cake Factory USA near our Villa... anyone eat there before? Is it worth checking out? We want to at least one night get an awesome seafood dinner!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 AM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Harrison's at the Inlet or BJ's on the Bay at 75th St. There's a Hooter's on the Boardwalk, too.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,253,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Harrison's at the Inlet or BJ's on the Bay at 75th St. There's a Hooter's on the Boardwalk, too.
Loooooove Harrison's.... we used to have friends that worked there so we'd always get some solid hook-ups over there.

I'll have to look into that BJs on the Bay... thanks!!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:19 AM

3 posts, read 5,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Yes, Ocean City is still a safe, family resort. Yes, there have been a few issues lately making the news which disturbs me but they have been isolated instances later at night or early in the morning. But since you bring up the issues "family friendly" I'm going to assume you wouldn't place yourself in those circumstance.

One thing to remember is that OC turns into one of MD's largest city's during the summer so with the increased population (weekly, summertime, and weekend) comes an increased chance. Again, something most people with families aren't going to be part of as their probably not going to place themselves in those places late at night.

Another thing to point out is that any incident makes statewide news as well as news of neighboring localities.

I live here, on the west side at least and have absolutely no issues. I just avoid crossing the bridge into town as much as posible during the summer but do go on the boardwalk periodically. September starts my time to play.
You live on the west side and avoid the main city and the boardwalk? Latest stats I've seen OC is the SECOND largest city in Md., in season only. Crime is up in OC, just like anywhere else. "They" want people to keep believing OC is family friendly to keep the people and MONEY coming in. Truth is OC has its' share of problems, especially IN SEASON. There are gangs and other undesirables in town, on the boards and everywhere else. Use common sense and avoid unsavory people and places. Don't venture out alone at night. Fun and a good time can be had in OC, but you just can wander around unaware of your surroundings. It's a tourist trap and prices reflect that. If you bring kids, keep an eye on them at all times and be very careful crossing streets. Other than that, ENJOY.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,723,490 times
Ocean City is still a very safe family oriented town. I avoid crossing that bridge a lot in the summertime for the sole reason of avoiding the crowds. I live here so I have no need to go into town much in the summer. Let the tourists have it. I wait till September and through the fall when everything is still open but the crowds are gone.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:32 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbero View Post
You live on the west side and avoid the main city and the boardwalk? Latest stats I've seen OC is the SECOND largest city in Md., in season only. Crime is up in OC, just like anywhere else. "They" want people to keep believing OC is family friendly to keep the people and MONEY coming in. Truth is OC has its' share of problems, especially IN SEASON. There are gangs and other undesirables in town, on the boards and everywhere else. Use common sense and avoid unsavory people and places. Don't venture out alone at night. Fun and a good time can be had in OC, but you just can wander around unaware of your surroundings. It's a tourist trap and prices reflect that. If you bring kids, keep an eye on them at all times and be very careful crossing streets. Other than that, ENJOY.
Ocean City has been an undesirable place for two decades now.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:17 PM

552 posts, read 931,987 times
sadly yes. its time for OC to grow up

Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 PM

264 posts, read 751,797 times
Once I went to Hatteras I never set foot in OC again.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 PM

1,441 posts, read 845,481 times
Ocean City has slipped some, but I took my family recently and it still has the cool family spots on the boardwalk (Marty's Playland, Thrasher's, etc.)

Like earlier posters mentioned, OC is showing some age, & getting a little grime. I'm a former resident, and remember even as recent as the '90s, the tourist traps were populated with nice college kids living there for the summer but they've been all virtually replaced with immigrant workers, which makes communicating & socializing harder. For me that takes away some of the hospitality of OC.. a lot of tourist time in OC is spent in the shops & restaurants.
Imo, the beach is still good tho. I give OC a constrained thumbs-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or