U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM

5,600 posts, read 6,376,678 times

Advertisements

Ocean City is just too expensive now for what they offer. Like many have said, you can go to more desirable beaches down South for less. Ocean City needs an economic development campaign to kick off soon or it will lose money to the southern beaches. As much money as DC/Balt spends in Ocean City, they could pull it off. OC has an excellent location on the eastern seaboard. They need to continue to take advantage of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM

2,251 posts, read 2,727,464 times
They lose some tourists to the southern beaches such as the Outer Banks because they are totally different beach towns. And of course you can add a slightly longer season in NC. People who prefer the OBX aren't going to suddenly prefer OC because of that.

Ocean City was set up as a nice family resort and it still is. High rise condos on the ocean on the north end of town and an older section with a boardwalk, motels and a couple amusement parks in the lower section. It has great walkability and taxis are everywhere as is a cheap bus service which runs all night.

There is also something for everyone in OC. One thing I like about it better then a lot of other beach towns is that you can do something at place "A", get bored and then walk to place "B" and on and on. And your never more then a short walk from a decent restaurant, west Ocean City included.

The outer Banks in NC has towns and attractions much more spread out. I love it there as well but you have to be more mobile, and a lot of people when on vacation would prefer to just relax for their time there and not have to worry about places further away. They'd rather everything be close by and easily accessible---and open. Those people would prefer Ocean City. You may be at one place and decide you want to eat something so you may have to drive a few miles to find a restaurant. Again, don't get me wrong as I love the place but it's just different.

As I've stated other times as well, Ocean City is still very safe. If anything happens it will be on the news in any Baltimore or DC area as well as anyplace else that would do anything to make OC look bad.

Typical crime in Ocean City is usually going to be a late night brawl between a couple of drunks outside of a bar or high school kids doing stupid things in June, also caused by drunkenness. The average family going out to the beach, parks or boardwalk aren't going to be put in that kind of situation unless daddy (or mommy) decides to sneak out of the hotel room later and go close down a bar. But even then, the odds of anything happening is about as close to "0" as you can get. Their biggest problem is going to be with mommy (or daddy) when they get home. And that would have probably happened in whatever town they went to.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
[SIZE=4]yes we can say that ocean city is still a family friendly place. And I totally agree with [/SIZE][SIZE=4]EducatedBro82[/SIZE][SIZE=4], that petty misdemeanors, underage drinking, and brawls happen because clubs are open past midnight. [/SIZE]

Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 PM

580 posts, read 568,317 times
OC is closer, and more reasonably priced given the prevalence of high-rise condos and the increased unit availability than the Outer Banks.

OC has more to do. OBX is much more laid back.

Different strokes for different folks. Give me South Nags Head, ocean block, walking distance to Jeanette's Pier and Sam and Omie's for a week. For the weekend, OC (or my preference, the Delaware Seashore Park).

Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 AM

32,131 posts, read 39,212,961 times
In Ocean City this weekend, sort of an April thing for us. No crowds, freezing water, one guy surfing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or