U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 AM

342 posts, read 1,292,538 times

Advertisements

I like to buy the Sunday Washington Post but on two Sundays in recent weeks the local WaWa I go to simply did not get newspaper delivery . One day about three weeks ago I was at White Marsh Mall waiting on my wife while she shopped and at 11 a.m. the News Center by Boscovs had not received the day's newspapers yet. Is the distributor having trouble getting drivers or what?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 AM

9,404 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Oh man this topic got my attention. First of all I have sold commercial printing for 20 years. And yes the print world has contracted but no print is not dead. Secondly since moving to Mount Airy I have had the hardest time getting home delivery of the Post, a paper I have read for close to 40 years.

The problem is they have no home delivery customers up here, or no doubt where you live, so they partner with the Baltimore Sun. My delivery guy apparently does not get up early as my paper always arrived after 7:00 which made it useless. We finally cut it down to Sunday only and the paper arrives at the crack of 10:00. Pathetic. They claim it has been a distribution problem, which is no doubt what you have been experiencing. But 10:00 is not a result of a distribution problem, that's just plain lazy.

To be honest I long for the days of the good old paperboy. Now there is no such thing, the "paperboy" is now a 43 year old in a beat up white van with questionable work habits.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,144,158 times
Wife was out of town so I decided to go to the local Jason's Deli to grab a salad bar. On my way, I figured i'd grab a newspaper to read while I ate. I stopped at 4 different convenience stores and not a single one had a newspaper for me to purchase. Not Washington Post...not a Baltimore Sun...not a Washington Times....not a Wall Street Journal....not a New York Times.

I was quite perturbed, actually.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Wife was out of town so I decided to go to the local Jason's Deli to grab a salad bar. On my way, I figured i'd grab a newspaper to read while I ate. I stopped at 4 different convenience stores and not a single one had a newspaper for me to purchase. Not Washington Post...not a Baltimore Sun...not a Washington Times....not a Wall Street Journal....not a New York Times.

I was quite perturbed, actually.
Wow

Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 AM

32,101 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Most of the newspapers have gotten rid of youth carriers and replaced them with motor route carriers, typically adults.

All of my kids were carriers for the Annapolis Capital (they each passed the route down to the next one, 15 or 16 years total betweenn them). The youngest one was left go a couple years ago and replaced by a guy in a car delivering 300 papers instead of 40 or so.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 PM

342 posts, read 1,292,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffinpass View Post
DavinMtairy,
You really do not have any clue what your talking about. I actually work for The Washington Post and work for the distribution management. In areas where you live it is a big problem to find people to actually deliver the paper. There simply are not enough customers for newspaper carriers to make enough money for it to be worth their time doing such a job. With the constantly rising cost of gas it is very hard to find anyone willing to deliver in such areas as you live. Not enough money made and too much money spent on gas. The newspaper business IS surely but slowly dying, and along with it my job. I am positive that in your area the distributor cannot find enough carriers so he gets stuck delivering for many hours and that results in late paper deliveries. Lazy is the last thing that the distributor in your area is.
The carriers that deliver to retail stores here in southeastern Baltimore County not only bring The Sun but out of town papers as well; Washington Post and Times, WSJ, New York Times, etc. Over the years I have seen a succession of drivers; a two-man crew in a van, a black woman with kids in a van, a guy working out of the trunk and back seat of his sporty car and the latest, a young man in an old conversion van. Obviously, there's not enough money in it to make it worthwhile. Years ago I delivered the Hanover (PA) Evening Sun from my bicycle. It was a two-cent paper. I got a penny and the paper got a penny. I wonder what the "split" is today.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
also, being a carrier is a 7 day a week job, 365 days a year... Questionable work habits? LOL
First off I was a paperboy in my youth so you may want to revisit your claim that I don't know what I am talking about. I remember very clearly not having a day off. Secondly I get it that there are not many Post subscribers up here. I pointed that out already if you had bothered to read my post completely. Again as I pointed out they partner with the Sun and that guy simply delivers my paper as he is making his other regular deliveries. And sorry, anyone who can't make a delivery until 10:00 is freaking LAZY.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:28 AM

6,209 posts, read 6,580,879 times
Quote:
DavinMtairy,
You really do not have any clue what your talking about. I actually work for The Washington Post and work for the distribution management. In areas where you live it is a big problem to find people to actually deliver the paper. There simply are not enough customers for newspaper carriers to make enough money for it to be worth their time doing such a job. With the constantly rising cost of gas it is very hard to find anyone willing to deliver in such areas as you live. Not enough money made and too much money spent on gas. The newspaper business IS surely but slowly dying, and along with it my job. I am positive that in your area the distributor cannot find enough carriers so he gets stuck delivering for many hours and that results in late paper deliveries. Lazy is the last thing that the distributor in your area is.
puffinpass, don't bother DavinMtairy with details, after all he is a print salesman. One thing I've learned in my 35+ years in the printing business most printsales personnel are not interested in details except if it's a round of golf. Their eyes glaze over, after all they must portray themselves, sometimes, as an expert in the business, in which most don't have a clue.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:56 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,739,836 times
Quote:
But I guess if you want to think that being a paper boy when you grew up gives you any insight to this business....well....that's actually just laughable.
Puffinpass, what is an appropriate tip to give the deliveryperson these days? I get WaPo delivered daily and pay in 12 week increments. I usually give 20 percent, but it still seems like an insufficient percentage, perhaps because an adult delivers my paper.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
Default Dave in mt airy

U have no idea what u speak of. U r probably a person that expects the paper to be hand delivered. Let spread some wisdom dave u have no clue u think we just get the papers and off we go WRONG SIR we have to always depend on the distributor to be correct on starts and stops none the less vacations u think it is very easy to deliver a paper get ur ass up at the crack of dawn and see how coherent u are try not to make a mistake I dare u also what ur ass dont know is if we make a mistake we lose money so how dare u call us lazy . Would u go and try to deliver a 1.25 paper on ice and wreck ur 32000 vehicle or as u put it a beat up old white van so shut up u have no idea what we go through to get u ur damn paper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or