Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times

Advertisements

Come on now... you went Labor Day weekend... the last unofficial weekend of summer.. and it's an exteded weekend... aka probably one of the BUSIEST weekends to go... so what are you complaining about? You should have known the traffic would potentially be bad. Not sure what you were expecting either? I doubt people raved about how quiet the town was... it's a tourist destination so the heavy amounts of strip malls and gas stations and so forth are needed. As for east coast beaches it's definitely the #1 preferable on my list... go to one of the jersey shore beaches and I bet you'll be singing a different tune about OCMD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:43 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Rule no 1: don't go over Labor Day weekend or any other holiday. Heck, don't go on weekends. I go during the week and it's a totally different experience.
This is true. Most people go to Ocean City all during the wrong times - and then comment about how bad it is. lol.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:15 AM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Those who say they don't get the appeal may want to read this post again.
The thing is, though, you can do all of those things in much more walkable, less sprawly-feeling beach towns. Even if you visit OC at the absolute quietest, least inundated with drunk teenagers part of the "beach season," it still doesn't get around the fact that I don't feel that there's any there there. It's just an endless string of high-rises, chintzy boardwalk stuff, and car-oriented dining, retail, and attractions. There are hundreds of other beach towns that just feel more like a real place to me, and that's why I personally do not get the appeal of OCMD or Myrtle Beach, et al., beyond the fact that it's possible to do those kinds of places on a much smaller budget.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
The thing is, though, you can do all of those things in much more walkable, less sprawly-feeling beach towns. Even if you visit OC at the absolute quietest, least inundated with drunk teenagers part of the "beach season," it still doesn't get around the fact that I don't feel that there's any there there. It's just an endless string of high-rises, chintzy boardwalk stuff, and car-oriented dining, retail, and attractions. There are hundreds of other beach towns that just feel more like a real place to me, and that's why I personally do not get the appeal of OCMD or Myrtle Beach, et al., beyond the fact that it's possible to do those kinds of places on a much smaller budget.
Just curious, but what are your favorite beach towns that feel like a "real place"?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:02 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Just curious, but what are your favorite beach towns that feel like a "real place"?
Stone Harbor, NJ; Cannon Beach, OR; Tybee Island, GA; Villefranche-sur-Mer, France; Tarifa, Spain; Cascais, Portugal; just to name a few. At the other end of the scale spectrum, I'm also fond of Venice Beach, "The Beach" neighborhood of Toronto, and Barceloneta, as far as the urban beach experience goes. All radically different from one another, but none overwhelmed by the placeless, car-centric high-rise mania of OCMD, Atlantic City, Virginia Beach, Myrtle, etc.

Last edited by that412; 09-06-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 06:36 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Stone Harbor, NJ; Cannon Beach, OR; Tybee Island, GA; Villefranche-sur-Mer, France; Tarifa, Spain; Cascais, Portugal; just to name a few. At the other end of the scale spectrum, I'm also fond of Venice Beach, "The Beach" neighborhood of Toronto, and Barceloneta, as far as the urban beach experience goes. All radically different from one another, but none overwhelmed by the placeless, car-centric high-rise mania of OCMD, Atlantic City, Virginia Beach, Myrtle, etc.

Come on now, be fair. Again comparing Ocean City to beaches in France, Spain or Portugal is not a lot different than complaining about the traffic on Labor Day or saying a hamburger is not as good as a lobster.

It's 2.5 hours away from 2 major cities and a room can be had for under $100. As I said I totally understand it's lack of charm, and I get it that it's ugly. But as you have seen from other posters there is still a lot to offer even if it's not your thing. Again you have to evaluate it for what it is. And what it is is an inexpensive opportunity to go to the beach, a place you can get to before lunch even with a late start. France is neither of these things.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 09-07-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 06:48 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Personally, I'm not much a beach person. I feel kind of funny saying this because I've actually been to beaches up and down the east coast, the west coast and outside the U.S. But I'm not really "drawn" to them in a significant way.

This is why somewhere like Ocean City outside of peak season or Assateague is enough for me. Just take a dip, catch some waves, have some seafood and I'm good. I don't care about it much more than that. If I want somewhere walkable or whatever, then there are plenty of large cities on the east coast for that. lol.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-07-2013 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 AM

33 posts, read 186,498 times
Nostalgia and loyalty.

So many things around here survive on little more than that. It's like eating blue crabs, if you weren't raised doing it, chances are you probably won't understand the following it has among the locals.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
I'm not much of a beach person, I prefer the mountains. I don't go to OC very much, some in the off season. I think Atlantic City is worse..
That's an understatement. On the other hand, Atlantic City isn't even remotely considered a family beach destination.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by childofaaco View Post
Nostalgia and loyalty.

So many things around here survive on little more than that. It's like eating blue crabs, if you weren't raised doing it, chances are you probably won't understand the following it has among the locals.
This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland