Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 03:02 PM

66 posts, read 87,547 times

Advertisements

It would make more sense for them to join another state than become a new state because then they are going to have to establish a state house and state congress building and the other state agencies which is going to be expensive.

I do think they should be allowed to leave because they really have no representation in the maryland government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 03:08 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I don't think, at least long term, that the people in Western MD would be happy as a part of WV if they feel like the current state government ignores them. The WV forums are saying pretty much the same thing about Charleston not caring about the people in the eastern panhandle. In fact, the whole state of WV seems to be divided into about 5 different regions that compete for attention from the state government. At least they aren't getting taxed to death like we are in Maryland.
That's exactly right! Right now, Allegany County, where I come from, sees way more tax money being invested in the county than they actually send to the state. It's understandable that conservative mountain folks would feel some animosity toward a state government in which their beliefs and interests are so heavily outweighed by those of liberal suburbanites in central MD, the large majority of which completely lack generational ties to this state. However, in West Virginia, the state government heavily favors the southern part of the state.

A close relative of mine represented Mineral County in the House of Delegates for quite a long time and has been discussing his tenure in Charleston with me for all my life. To many West Virginia legislators, the Eastern Panhandle is a seemingly foreign and far away place. East of the Alleghenies, the topography is markedly different. Broad, fertile valleys are bounded by long, tall ridge lines. Thus, the region is much more conducive to development and is lush with agriculture, which forms the backbone of the area's economy. The rest of the state (west of the Alleghenies) is substantially more rugged, marked by an endless expanse of hills and hollers that have always hindered any significant development or agriculture. In their stead emerged an economy centered around resource extraction--i.e., coal--of which the Eastern Panhandle has very little. Also of note is the Eastern Panhandle's relative proximity to population centers in Maryland and Virginia, which has allowed for access to good jobs via long commutes and somewhat of a greater sense of awareness of the world outside the mountains. West of the Alleghenies, West Virginia is far more isolated, with only a few areas that are reasonably close to economically depressed Rust Belt cities.

While there is no denying that both areas lie firmly within Appalachia, these distinctions make for quite the cultural difference. This is something I've only personally observed rather recently, as I now enter my fourth year at WVU. Even just a few miles outside Morgantown, which has an absolutely booming economy, the environment is unlike anything I ever experienced in the parts of West Virginia I frequented growing up. The southern legislators, in particular, seem to take exception to the different way of life in the Eastern Panhandle and often dismiss their needs in favor of maintaining the good-ole-boy system, instated and preserved in Charleston by the southern Democrats practically since the state's inception. My relative told me that, in an effort to convey his frustration over this matter, he once made a speech on the floor of the House asserting that, from his home in Keyser, he can reach the capitals of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia all more quickly than Charleston. He told them that they did not understand what it is like to come from the Eastern Panhandle because they are just too far away.

My point in saying all this is to illustrate the type of treatment we would receive were we a part of West Virginia. We would see considerably less funding for the projects we need at home, not only because West Virginia's tax base is infinitely smaller, but also simply in spite of us due to our location. At least Maryland pays to keep our infrastructure in good shape, and the like.

(Just as a point of clarification, I would like to note that when I refer to the "Eastern Panhandle," I'm talking about the entire eight-county region. I understand that some folks out around Martinsburg sometimes colloquially use the term to refer to the smaller subregion of Morgan, Berkeley, and Jefferson counties.)

Old 09-12-2013, 03:18 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Those guys REALLY hate gays and blacks if they'd be willing to give up mooching off wealthy liberal areas just to be away from them. Disturbing. Good riddance though, I'd be for it if we could allow another Democratic state into the union, like allowing the free state of Austin to leave Texas I guess meth and permanent poverty are more important to some than an economic future.

Last edited by PhenomenalAJ; 09-12-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Those guys REALLY hate gays and blacks if they'd be willing to give up mooching off wealthy liberal areas just to be away from them. Disturbing. Good riddance though, I'd be for it if we could allow another Democratic state into the union, like allowing the free state of Austin to leave Texas I guess meth and permanent poverty are more important to some than an economic future.
Because drugs and poverty are not in the liberal urban areas......

Why do you assume they "hate gays and blacks"? I think is the taxes and regulations and other busybody laws they don't like. I doubt there are too many gays and blacks out in western maryland so they can't be running away from people who don't exist where they are now.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWatchMan96 View Post

Why do you assume they "hate gays and blacks"? I think is the taxes and regulations and other busybody laws they don't like. I doubt there are too many gays and blacks out in western maryland so they can't be running away from people who don't exist where they are now.
You have to excuse "Mr. Phenomenal." He is our resident village idiot. Always good for a laugh though.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
That's exactly right! Right now, Allegany County, where I come from, sees way more tax money being invested in the county than they actually send to the state. It's understandable that conservative mountain folks would feel some animosity toward a state government in which their beliefs and interests are so heavily outweighed by those of liberal suburbanites in central MD, the large majority of which completely lack generational ties to this state. However, in West Virginia, the state government heavily favors the southern part of the state.

A close relative of mine represented Mineral County in the House of Delegates for quite a long time and has been discussing his tenure in Charleston with me for all my life. To many West Virginia legislators, the Eastern Panhandle is a seemingly foreign and far away place. East of the Alleghenies, the topography is markedly different. Broad, fertile valleys are bounded by long, tall ridge lines. Thus, the region is much more conducive to development and is lush with agriculture, which forms the backbone of the area's economy. The rest of the state (west of the Alleghenies) is substantially more rugged, marked by an endless expanse of hills and hollers that have always hindered any significant development or agriculture. In their stead emerged an economy centered around resource extraction--i.e., coal--of which the Eastern Panhandle has very little. Also of note is the Eastern Panhandle's relative proximity to population centers in Maryland and Virginia, which has allowed for access to good jobs via long commutes and somewhat of a greater sense of awareness of the world outside the mountains. West of the Alleghenies, West Virginia is far more isolated, with only a few areas that are reasonably close to economically depressed Rust Belt cities.

While there is no denying that both areas lie firmly within Appalachia, these distinctions make for quite the cultural difference. This is something I've only personally observed rather recently, as I now enter my fourth year at WVU. Even just a few miles outside Morgantown, which has an absolutely booming economy, the environment is unlike anything I ever experienced in the parts of West Virginia I frequented growing up. The southern legislators, in particular, seem to take exception to the different way of life in the Eastern Panhandle and often dismiss their needs in favor of maintaining the good-ole-boy system, instated and preserved in Charleston by the southern Democrats practically since the state's inception. My relative told me that, in an effort to convey his frustration over this matter, he once made a speech on the floor of the House asserting that, from his home in Keyser, he can reach the capitals of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia all more quickly than Charleston. He told them that they did not understand what it is like to come from the Eastern Panhandle because they are just too far away.

My point in saying all this is to illustrate the type of treatment we would receive were we a part of West Virginia. We would see considerably less funding for the projects we need at home, not only because West Virginia's tax base is infinitely smaller, but also simply in spite of us due to our location. At least Maryland pays to keep our infrastructure in good shape, and the like.

(Just as a point of clarification, I would like to note that when I refer to the "Eastern Panhandle," I'm talking about the entire eight-county region. I understand that some folks out around Martinsburg sometimes colloquially use the term to refer to the smaller subregion of Morgan, Berkeley, and Jefferson counties.)
I like to differentiate the Eastern Panhandle from the Potomac Highlands too, they are different places with different populations and different economies. It is worth pointing out that the Potomac Highlands is one of the least densely populated areas east of the Mississippi. There just aren't many voters there, and much like in Maryland, if you can't affect elections, you tend to be ignored by politicians.

I am surprised to hear that WV has such sharp regional divisions. I have seen this topic brought up on the WV forum too. Interestingly, about 5 years ago, I was talking with a few of my friends from the WV/MD line near Friendsville and asked a question about regionalism there. Their answer was that being a West Virginian was enough to be "in the club" and that it much different than Maryland in this regard, and more similar to states like Texas with strong state-level identity.

They are a "coal family" so the emphasis on mining at the state level wasn't alienating to them, and maybe that was the difference.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You have to excuse "Mr. Phenomenal." He is our resident village idiot. Always good for a laugh though.
Looks like it, extremely obnoxious. I don't see how people in western Maryland are mooching off the liberal urban areas, they pay taxes too and I would assume there are a lot less government "amenitities" in western Maryland, they are paying to help fund public transit in DC, etc, I would imagine.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Looks like it, extremely obnoxious. I don't see how people in western Maryland are mooching off the liberal urban areas, they pay taxes too and I would assume there are a lot less government "amenitities" in western Maryland, they are paying to help fund public transit in DC, etc, I would imagine.
No, Mr. Phenomenal is correct in that we get more money from the state than we give. That is a fact, but one that any "liberal" should be happy about; one of the richest state in the Union helping its poorest parts, you know?

Now, whether this money is a positive when compared to the tax burdens and onerous regulations that drive residents and businesses a mile or two to our north, south, and west is another matter...............

The real issue with the posts is the 3rd grade level thinking that is intended to insult others. I mean, do you have to live in Maryland to work in Maryland? No, of course not, so Carroll, Frederick, and Washington County residents have the EXACT SAME access to the high paying jobs of the inner burbs and D.C. whether they are part of the jurisdiction known as "Maryland" or not.

Likewise, meth isn't big at all out in our part of Appalachia. Our junkies prefer scripts and over-priced crack. But, again, if you are an ignorant buffoon that only knows of "Appalachia" from what they see on the occasional TV special or news report, this fact would be unknown, and thus the attempt to insult completely misses the mark and serves only to further reinforce the fact that the poster is talking out of his behind, not speaking from any real base of knowledge.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
No, Mr. Phenomenal is correct in that we get more money from the state than we give. That is a fact, but one that any "liberal" should be happy about; one of the richest state in the Union helping its poorest parts, you know?

Now, whether this money is a positive when compared to the tax burdens and onerous regulations that drive residents and businesses a mile or two to our north, south, and west is another matter...............

The real issue with the posts is the 3rd grade level thinking that is intended to insult others. I mean, do you have to live in Maryland to work in Maryland? No, of course not, so Carroll, Frederick, and Washington County residents have the EXACT SAME access to the high paying jobs of the inner burbs and D.C. whether they are part of the jurisdiction known as "Maryland" or not.

Likewise, meth isn't big at all out in our part of Appalachia. Our junkies prefer scripts and over-priced crack. But, again, if you are an ignorant buffoon that only knows of "Appalachia" from what they see on the occasional TV special or news report, this fact would be unknown, and thus the attempt to insult completely misses the mark and serves only to further reinforce the fact that the poster is talking out of his behind, not speaking from any real base of knowledge.
Good points. I would say that it is the conservative/libertian types opposing higher taxes and excessive government spending. So he can't blame conservatives/libertarians in western Maryland for the area receiving more in tax revenue than it pays in taxes, and that money is largely being funneled to Democrat voters in western Maryland.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:

I know there aren't many gays and blacks there, thats my point. Doesn't seem odd to you that these secessionists are so looking forward to being part of a state that is 45% nonwhite to a state at about maybe 2%. That's cute how you right wingers like to call anyone not sticking to right wing orthodoxy "obnoxious". Wow and just joined, another random conservative with 10 posts in the Maryland forum! That's quite remarkable how there are at least 10 new conservatives a month in the Maryland forum who agree with everything Westsideboy says and disappear just as fast as they appear, couldn't possibly be sock puppet accounts

Quote:

Always with the personal attacks with no substance. I'd be happy to let Western Maryland go in the same way a rich guy would be glad if his methhead mooch son got a job and moved out but you have to admit the secessionists aren't exactly our higher class citizens, generally bitter Tea Party types. You calling me a village idiot isn't a childish insult in your mind. Then again your mind thinks gays should be forbidden to marry so that would give people an indicator of the mentality of these secessionists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland