U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:36 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,853,691 times

Advertisements

Western Maryland secessionists seek to sever ties with the liberal Free State - The Washington Post

Apparently there are secession movements throughout the US. With regard to Maryland. you'd think the residents of Eastern Shore would have greater grievances against Annapolis though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 PM

4,924 posts, read 8,031,543 times
Western Maryland is Allegany and Garrett Counties, and any native out my way will tell you the same. Our two counties are a region apart. We are in the meat of the Appalachian mountains, we are geographically isolated from the rest of the state (Hagerstown is closer in distance to Rockville than it is to Cumberland) and suffer from population stagnation/decline and income levels that resemble WV and SW PA.

None of these traits are found in Washington, Frederick, or Carroll Counties. Washington and Frederick Counties have some mountainous areas, but are dominated by large fertile valleys (Carroll county has no mountains, it is rolling farm country.) These same GOP Central Maryland counties are growing in population and have income levels about average for the state as they are commutable locations.

I don't want to be outvoted by NIMBY exurbanites anymore than I want to be outvoted by closer-in suburbanites. They can both do us a favor though and stop misusing our moniker.

Last edited by westsideboy; 09-08-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 PM

28,401 posts, read 61,798,116 times
Jefferson - The 51st State - Northern California / Southern Oregon - A State of Mind

YREKA, Calif. (AP) Sep 5, 2013 — Supervisors in a far Northern California county where residents are fed up with what they see as a lack of representation at the state capitol and overregulation have voted in favor of separating from the state.

The Siskiyou County Board of Supervisors voted 4-1 on Tuesday for a declaration of secession...
Story Link

Old 09-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Just the proposed state name itself "Jefferson" is enough for me to LOL!!!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:27 AM

8,192 posts, read 22,281,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Western Maryland secessionists seek to sever ties with the liberal Free State - The Washington Post

Apparently there are secession movements throughout the US. With regard to Maryland. you'd think the residents of Eastern Shore would have greater grievances against Annapolis though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Jefferson - The 51st State - Northern California / Southern Oregon - A State of Mind

YREKA, Calif. (AP) Sep 5, 2013 — Supervisors in a far Northern California county where residents are fed up with what they see as a lack of representation at the state capitol and overregulation have voted in favor of separating from the state.

The Siskiyou County Board of Supervisors voted 4-1 on Tuesday for a declaration of secession...
Story Link
I did not read either link, but NJ2MDdude is right; every State has had, or continues to have, a secessionists movement. Some instances make sense, such as California, Texas, New England (Maine in particular) leaving to become their own thing as these States for the most part are culturally different than the "U.S." as a whole, and, can support themselves on their own. Yet, others, in particular parts of States that wish to leave, do not really make much sense outside of "we're just different". The logistics of Western Maryland becoming its own thing simply will not work, but the Eastern Shore could probably pull it off.

As for California, even though I was born in SoCal, I grew up-or more importantly-came of age in NorCal. Like many other native Californians who live in NorCal, I fully support a Northern-Southern Californian split. I love that part of California and Oregon, and agree they are more closely tied politically (Conservative politics despite everyone in the rest of the U.S. believing that California and Oregon are some sorts of hardcore Lefty enclaves as a whole ), but I would stop at the California/Oregon border and extend the southern boundary to around San Louis Obispo. Besides, Oregon-in particular Portland, still holds resentment towards Northern California even though NorCal has sided with Oregon since almost day one.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:30 AM

2,912 posts, read 3,539,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
With regard to Maryland. you'd think the residents of Eastern Shore would have greater grievances against Annapolis though.
The Eastern Shore had an active secessionist movement about 45 years ago. I remember hearing a TV news interview with a secessionist spokesman. The news guy asked "What are you going to call your new state?" to which the reply was "We're going to call it Maryland -- let the other part scratch around for a new name."

Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,052,430 times
Given Maryland's exorbitant taxes, business unfriendly environment, and never ending enactment of Nannie laws --- "Free State" is a sad joke.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,687,210 times
The Sentinel

Here is the Sentinel article about the western marylanders who want to secede

Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
The Eastern Shore had an active secessionist movement about 45 years ago. I remember hearing a TV news interview with a secessionist spokesman. The news guy asked "What are you going to call your new state?" to which the reply was "We're going to call it Maryland -- let the other part scratch around for a new name."
Culturally I believe MD Eastern Shore and southern DE are one entity divided by an artificial line. I read somewhere that before the Bay Bridge was constructed, the MD Eastern Shore was more connected to Wilmington and Philadelphia than Baltimore and DC. There's a lot of potential down there. I'm surprised the economies of Cambridge and Salisbury aren't more developed. I think if there was one large state university there, to counter UMCP, than the economic outlook would improve substantially. Like wise in western MD.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 AM

8,482 posts, read 10,427,680 times
It will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or