Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,855 times

Advertisements

I lived in frostburg from 1999-2004 and I completed my degrees there as well as met my husband. I am from prince georges county and I have to tell you that while the school year was in place there were a TON of things to do but during the summer or winter breaks the town seemed like a ghost town. However there is a big housing boom going on now! Also if you get really bored hagerstown is about 1 hours away and has a huge mall, target, and the outlets!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 AM

36 posts, read 91,311 times
Frostburg is wonderful. We have a great (safe) quality of life. So who needs shopping when you can live in a pleasent area. People are great here. Safe area for walking, biking, etc... If you are enjoying yourself, then you don't even miss having lots of shopping centers.

But don't tell too many people about this area! Don't let our secret out!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 24,736 times
Frostburg is not having a housing boom, just to set the record straight.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:16 PM

6,903 posts, read 11,158,704 times
After 60 years of depopulation, any new housing being built in Allegany County is considered a boom!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:58 AM

549 posts, read 1,924,389 times
A half year bump! westsideboy, do you even remember being a part of this thread?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM

6,903 posts, read 11,158,704 times
Of course, of course. I reread the whole thing before I posted.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 PM

46 posts, read 136,057 times
Default Seriously moving where??

WOW... as a former local to the area you mentioned... I cannot believe anybody would relocate there.

My grandmother still lives in Luke - bought her house for $25K. It has 2 streets and one is leads you in/out of the town. They do have a post office though.. but no stores. I actually think they still have free steam heat for many of the houses... compliments of the paper mill. In fact, when you walk through the town in the winter you can see it pouring up through grates... MMMmmm, Luke... You have to drive 5 minutes into Westernport to find some stores, but mostly bars and churches, and a pharmacy. The nearest supermarket is Martin's in Keyser, WV - 15 min away -- yeah, Luke is right on the Potomac River basically, but there is nothing scenic about it unless you count the massive smoke stack...

Frostburg is nice. I would say its 25 min away - thought twisty, turny roads and itty-bitty towns with funny names (my favorites - Nekip and Pekin - one side of the street is Nikep, the other side is Pekin - get it, Pekin is Nikep backwards?? Ha ha... enough said) and nicknames - i.e. "Coney" for Lonaconing. It's going through some revitalization and now has a Rite Aid on top of the Sheetz and a movie theatre. It's certainly gotten nicer in recent years -- I lived there 10 years ago (I went to Frostburg for undergrad). You can get nice houses in Frostburg for under $100K. There are some new constructions for $100K - $200K there now. Frostburg is also close to some civilization - LaVale and Cumberland.

Hope this helps... Beware though, unless you are from the sticks, you re in for a rude awakening. Definitely visit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland