Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:40 PM

57 posts, read 158,099 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying a home in Cecil County and have come upon a roadblock. The home I was interested in has two septic holding tanks that were just installed due to an older failing system. Previously I have lived in more populated areas (Baltimore, Howard and PG County) and have never had anything but public sewer/water. With that being said this is all very new to me.

My original impression was that this was a septic system, needed to be pumped every year or so and since it's new we should be good to go. WRONG. I just learned there is a vast difference between septic system and holding tanks. I was informed that because of the clay in the area (Elkton) that a septic system was no longer approved due to a bunch of new regulations. With further digging it seems that a new septic system install now costs $19-48k because of these new regulations.

I am not at a loss on what to do. I can't afford that quoted ($300) every time to get the tanks pumped. Which according to internet suggestions would be very 14 days. Are most areas in Cecil County going to have to move to septic tanks versus septic systems due to the soil conditions and the new regulations? Or are most areas non-clay and be able to have a new system installed just at the new inflated price tag?

Has anyone recently gone through this process? Looking for insight on the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 03:56 AM

44,885 posts, read 59,858,372 times
You need to talk to someone who actually knows what they're talking about and not depend on internet experts.

First thing, the newly installed tanks are likely permitted and inspected so they are compliant. The tank system is pretty standard. Pumping every couple weeks? That's an already failed system that's clogged.

Who has been informing you of all this?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:56 PM

The tanks aren't a system they are used when the grounds are not suitable for systems. According to my research this is going to happen a lot more as older systems fail and people try to replace them with all the new regulations. The tanks are just that, holding tanks, that hold the waste and need to be pumped.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdougal View Post
The tanks aren't a system they are used when the grounds are not suitable for systems. According to my research this is going to happen a lot more as older systems fail and people try to replace them with all the new regulations. The tanks are just that, holding tanks, that hold the waste and need to be pumped.
Unless there is a prospect that Cecil County will have a sewer connection available to the house very soon, I would pass on buying the house. I have heard of diverting the grey water to another tank and using it for watering a garden or grass. Otherwise I could visualize a life of washing ones clothes at the laundromat, showering at the gym, installing low flush toilets, etc to avoid filling the holding tanks.

I suggest looking at your current water bill to estimate how much water your family sends out of the house. That's how much would go into the holding tanks.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:21 PM

44,885 posts, read 59,858,372 times
OP, you need to call the Cecil County office of the Health Department and find out exactly what's going on.

I'm saying that because there is no way on God's green Earth that a homeowner (or builder/investor) would get approval for a new install of holding tanks to fix a failing, or failed, septic system here in Calvert County and by extension Cecil. It just wouldn't happen.

Having said that, many septic designs incorporate holding tanks into which the waste water goes while the bacteria work on it. The waste water will slowly exit though holes at the top of the tank into a drain field while the solids settle out.

That type of system does require pumping (sometimes in terms of a few years, sometimes decades) on a regular basis, but not twice a month.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
OP, you need to call the Cecil County office of the Health Department and find out exactly what's going on.

I'm saying that because there is no way on God's green Earth that a homeowner (or builder/investor) would get approval for a new install of holding tanks to fix a failing, or failed, septic system here in Calvert County and by extension Cecil. It just wouldn't happen.

Having said that, many septic designs incorporate holding tanks into which the waste water goes while the bacteria work on it. The waste water will slowly exit though holes at the top of the tank into a drain field while the solids settle out.

That type of system does require pumping (sometimes in terms of a few years, sometimes decades) on a regular basis, but not twice a month.

I think there is a lot of misinformation in this area based on what has been the norm for the past five decades. From what I'm reading there are a lot of changes coming due to the law that went in effect Jan 1. Obviously no one would WANT to put these tanks in. However due to soil conditions or lot size it seems that some are being FORCED to put these tanks in. I am thinking that as long as these new regulations remain in place that there are going to be a lot of unhappy and broke homeowners over the next two decades. Or there will be a lot of illegal repairs or replacements of systems.

I've done a lot of reading about these holding tanks over the past few days. Essentially they are a last resort if public sewer isn't an option and the lot/soil doesn't satisfy updated requirements. I'm going to contact Cecil County to see if there is anyway to know ahead of time if a lot will require these tanks in the future.

Here's a easy breakdown of septic systems versus holding tanks: Septic Tank vs. Holding Tank | eHow

Anyone here that has actually lived with a septic system, what is the realistic average lifespan? I'm reading 30 years, is that normal? If a home was built in 1950 could you theoretically assume a replacement in ~1970 and then another in ~2000? Is there any real way to determine the age and life left in a system prior to buying a home?

Old 07-22-2015, 04:16 AM
pbb

2 posts, read 7,914 times
I live in Calvert County on a small lake. We've been in the home since 1991. We were always very diligent with having our septic tank(s) pumped/flushed yearly to help save our drainfield over the years - it worked. Our drainfield is original to the house and now we're finding that it's failing. Calvert County environmental folks and our septic contractor came out to perc our acre and found that there is really no perc-iable land - the water table is high. There is 1 place on a hill in back of our house but there may not be enough space for the required sized drainfield on our lot. Enter the county with a suggestion of two 2000 gallon holding tanks - in fact, they told me that we're pretty much at our last resort. The septic contractor told me that I would need the tanks pumped every month at a total of $400/month (for pumping, transport and proper disposal). What homeowner can afford this? Even worse, who will want to buy my property (even as nice as it is) with this set-up/contraption? I am going to insist that they do everything they can to work with the back hill and i'm willing to pay at the outset for a long-lasting drainfield so as not to sorely affect my property value with holding tanks. I'm having my property surveyed next week to see just how much we have to work with. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. We already know the pitfalls. So please any help/encouragement would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:22 AM
pbb

2 posts, read 7,914 times
Something else - I thought it was VERY when both my septic contractor AND the county person told me that holding tanks were NOT desirable due to the pumping expense and lowering property values. What hope does this give any struggling existing homeowner? I simply told both the contractor & county that we could not afford this additional monthly expense. We'll never be able to improve or sell our property. I am just in tears. Thank you (in advance) for any input you can offer.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:07 AM

789 posts, read 1,085,077 times
Unfortunately, pbb, this is becoming a reality for many homeowners who bought on septic in places where no septic should have been installed in the first place. This sucks for your property values and ownership, but let me assure you that it is probably best for everyone. Would you want your well to be pumping in septic by-product? Neither do your neighbors.

jdougal I'd avoid that specific house. Sounds like a nightmare. There should be plenty of places in and around Elkton on water and sewer. That is a safer bet if you plan on staying in the house for a while.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:49 AM

5,101 posts, read 6,010,523 times
This is all part of the 'Smart Growth' that is coming out of Annapolis. The idea is to 'encourage' people to locate in already developed areas to reduce sprawl. At the same time MDE is making it difficult for smaller community water systems to keep up with the demand for public water by getting more restrictive on systems that depend on groundwater for their public water source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland