Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,366 times

Advertisements

I hear they like heavy metal in Glen Burnie...

Heavy Metal Parking Lot - Hell Yeah - YouTube
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,702 times
Not from MD....but when we moved here my Pasadena wife was hesitant about residing in GB. I love the area and the fact the community is not presumptuous and fake like Columbia/Rockville folks. GB's central location in the Bmore area is perfect for getting around quickly and easily. I do believe that the more desirable 'new' areas around have lured many of the 'young professionals and their new money' away from GB leaving us with a high percentage of minorities and lower middle income working class people....and im completely fine with being surrounded by real people that work hard for their money. Its the recent influx of free-loaders and illegal’s that give GB a bad wrap. Hopefully GB doesnt turn into a BP or Takoma Park.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 PM

49 posts, read 105,327 times
My husband and I were referred to the area for reasonable rental rates. From what I could dig up from my own research I became disinterested and didn't entertain it further. I found out that the area has a drug problem, the high school has a drug problem too (more than likely because the area itself has a problem) and the school has struggled to meet state standards (schools are far from high rated, less than average). Long before we even considered the area we broke down at a gas station years back, lots of unsavory looking characters and vagrants were walking to and from the gas station for black and milds, cigarettes, loitering around etc. The Walmart was located across the street from the gas station I am referring to closed, maybe its possible that it relocated or lost business to the one a highway exit or 2 down. However, its closure and the fact that the center looks almost condemned has been linked to crime problems in the area. No anchor has ever replaced that Walmart in years and alot of the surrounding stores have moved out. The area is cheap but its cheap for a reason. Crime has also been an issue at Marley Station Mall. There is another Walmart in the area, but it recently fell victim to an armed robbery last month.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 PM

274 posts, read 678,334 times
My two cents: it's ugly. Drive through any neighborhood, you seen crappy little ranchers with rusted metal fences, and crappy plaza after crappy plaza...but quite frankly, many areas in MD, not just Glen Burnie, fit that description. I'm from western PA and not to sound snobbish, but it's just PRETTIER. Glen Burnie is just flat, with tons of crappy plazas and pawn shops, liquor stores, chain restaurants and little neighborhoods with those run down homes off of rt. 2 surrounded by rusty old fences.

I'll probably get some flack for this post, but my two cents aren't worth much. I even hate Severna Park and I live here. It's ugly too....except for the multi-million dollar mansions on the water...This place is full of houses that were built in the 70s and 80s. Gross.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,547 times
Sorry, but I think that a lot of people commenting on this thread seem really paranoid. OH NOES...shady looking people at a gas station...seriously?!? Almost anywhere in the Balto. area that is near the city limits could be considered "shady", depending on a variety of factors. I agree that there are some ugly 70s-era houses in GB, but so what? Does that automatically mean that only scum live in the area? Some Balto. city suburbs are still blue collar...get over it, or if you can't feel free to shell out $350-500K+ for a SFH that's somewhere "worthy" of you, like Columbia...I hear there's NO crime (or "shady people") there, LOL.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:50 PM

132 posts, read 324,979 times
Glen Burnie is actually considered an upper-middle class town to the United States. Maybe not Maryland, but to the United States it is. There is nothing wrong with it at all.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,529 times
Glen Burnie has always been considered a traditional working class suburb of Baltimore and it looks it. I doubt anyone from the rest of the US could consider Glen Burnie upper middle class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaMarylandPers View Post
Glen Burnie is actually considered an upper-middle class town to the United States. Maybe not Maryland, but to the United States it is. There is nothing wrong with it at all.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,252,882 times
Keep in mind that Baltimore Highlands, Linthicum, Ferndale, Glen Burnie, and Severna Park, are all older suburbs of Baltimore. Being on the B&A Railroad line, they pre-date automobile commuting. Also, being along Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie (with Harundale being a particular example) was a big part of the post-WWII housing boom. But get more than a couple of blocks off of Ritchie Hwy. and you'll find that Glen Burnie (and the rest of northern Anne Arundel County) has some perfectly nice parts as well.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 AM

132 posts, read 324,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Glen Burnie has always been considered a traditional working class suburb of Baltimore and it looks it. I doubt anyone from the rest of the US could consider Glen Burnie upper middle class.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-16-2014 at 05:57 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,529 times
And?

The description in the link suggests a working class/lower middle class/blue collar suburb of Baltimore.

The environment and housing of Glen Burnie is decidedly geared towards the working/lower middle classes. I'm sure Glen Burnie has households that qualify as upper middle class due to income, but the area is still resolutely working/lower middle class.

A good example of the opposite would be Ellicott City in Howard County. It's a resolutely upper middle class suburb, even if there are some working / lower middle class households.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaMarylandPers View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-16-2014 at 05:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland