Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,040 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Delaware county, pa and considering moving to Arnold or east Annapolis (broadneck school district). I am very unhappy with the housing choices and taxes where I currently am. 500-600k gets you a 1950s home in serious need of renovations, or an updated home with taxes well over 12k. However, on the positive, a good school district and great place to raise children.
I see on the broadneck peninsula and Crofton area I can get a much nicer home with better amenities nearby, as well as possible water privileges. The area seems to fit my adult lifestyle needs much better than where I currently am. I am sold in that aspect.
The question is schools and lifestyle for young families - is it a good place to raise children? I have two children under 5. I know where I currently am is an excellent choice for my children. However for myself (and wife), we feel depressed and unhappy with our lifestyle here. We are not from this area and my job can have me anywhere on the east coast.
So please be blunt and honest, positives and negatives, about family life and schools on the broadneck penninsula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:22 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
You really didn't say much about what your actual needs are. I assume you need to be near a decent size airport with service up and down the East Coast?

Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 AM

The location fits all my personal and work needs. However I can not yet tell if it fits my family needs - a good wholesome place to raise kids, friendly safe neighborhoods, good academically competitive schools, family friendly activities, etc.?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times
Yes, it definitely fits all of those qualities. We nearly bought in the same area (Arnold) but ended up in Howard County for job reasons. But we know several people who have kids in Severna Park and Arnold and its a beautiful area, tons for families to do. That whole area is filled with young families. Annapolis is by far my favorite city in Maryland. If you ask blindly what is a safe area that has great schools, that area will always be recommended.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
Other than water privileges, what specific amenities appeal to you? And with water access, do you have a boat? I ask because most of the water access is private in Anne Arundel County. It's not like there are nice little villages along the water, with the exception of downtown Annapolis. I personally find that area to be dull and nondescript unless you have access to and will be heavily involved with the water/boating. I suggest taking a drive down Route 2 through Severna Park and into Arnold and see what you think. Having said that, the schools there are fine.

I think that the Philadelphia suburbs are very nice. They're generally safe and there are many nice little towns with things to offer. Plus you have easy access to Philadelphia, which is much larger than Baltimore.

I know you're looking for lower housing costs, but New England is an excellent place to raise a family, and there is a lot of water access and plenty of amenities.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:42 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
I lived in NE before moving here. You will have at least two months less good boating weather in NE and the shoreline is rocky for the most part versus a soft bottom here in the Bay. The hard shoreline is only where man has put it there.

As far as access is concerned, if you have something with the guts to tow and pull a boat out of the water, there are plenty of boat ramps around here. There are plenty of slips, too, if you can afford them.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:52 PM

103 posts, read 286,775 times
I lived in Arnold for 15 years. It's a nice high school. I also suggest trying the Arundel High School district of Crofton. I just moved here this past summer so that my daughter could go to Arundel High. It's a very pleasant school. Also, have you tried Severna Park or Edgewater? (Severna Park High School, South River High School). I feel like Anne Arundel County is the heart of MD. Great choice. Water everywhere, historic Annapolis. Crofton, Arnold and Severna Park are all beautiful areas. They're all great family areas. You couldn't go wrong with picking either.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Thanks for all your replies. One of the main reasons the area is standing out to me is that I'll finally have the opportunity to own a boat. However, I have driven on route 2 and did not get a family friendly feeling there. Also seems like there is this hang around bar-type atmosphere there, not that I'm against that, it's just nothing like burbs I'm in now.
Overall I really am most concerned about life for my children, and where they will get a better education and wholesome upbringing (like minded families, good peers). I'd be curious about any opinions from people familiar with PA?

Old 12-13-2013, 03:57 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William12345 View Post
However, I have driven on route 2 and did not get a family friendly feeling there. Also seems like there is this hang around bar-type atmosphere there, not that I'm against that, it's just nothing like burbs I'm in now.
You can't judge the area by what you see on Route 2 or other main drags with bars. The better neighborhoods are out on the roads going toward the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland