Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:20 AM

45 posts, read 105,312 times

Advertisements

Well I procrastinated buying in Beaverbrook, had 2nd thoughts. perhaps it is good that I did. For years there were very few houses on the market there and usually there were none available. Now on Redfin I see there are 8 houses for sale in Beaverbrook and some of them have been on the market for months. These houses are not selling fast.

Not sure what is going on, perhaps the neighborhood is going down (crime problems?) or perhaps the houses are overpriced compared to the rest of Columbia. Most of them are in the 500K plus range. They are still zoned for Wilde Lake High and Wilde Lake Middle which are not the best.
Or maybe people look at those huge Beaverbrook lawns and don't want to cut the grass.

Anyway with all those for sale signs in the neighborhood. it would worry me if I was trying to sell a house in Beaverbrook now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:25 AM

I delayed buying in Beaverbrook and perhaps that was for the best. There are now 8 houses for sale there and they are not moving, some have been on the market for months. If I were trying to sell I would be worried. For years there was nothing for sale in Beaverbrook now the market has changed.

Not sure what is causing this, several possibilities come to mind.
*Crime problems in the area?
*People don't want to mow the huge lawns.
*Overpriced houses (most in the 500K range)
*Beaverbrook zoned for Wilde Lake Middle and High Schools, perhaps not the best schools for such an expensive house.
*Overall housing market slowdown?

While the houses and lawns are beautiful I wonder if the price point in Beaverbrook can be sustained given the rest of Columbia has much lower prices. While Beaverbrook has no CPRA that would not seem to justify these high prices in Beaverbrook. The market slowdown in that area worries me and I don't think I would buy there now.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:57 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 56 View Post
While the houses and lawns are beautiful I wonder if the price point in Beaverbrook can be sustained given the rest of Columbia has much lower prices. ... The market slowdown in that area worries me and I don't think I would buy there now.
It also does not help that Columbia is getting a negative reputation in forums like this. People unfairly generalize that a few Section 8 apartments affect all of Columbia. People are now saying, "go to Ellicott City" rather than Columbia.

The other factors is the large yards, and older look of Beaverbrook. I think younger people are more attracted to walkable neighborhoods in more urbanized areas.

Over and over on these forums, I see the millenials asking about walkable neighborhoods.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:12 AM

382 posts, read 1,205,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Over and over on these forums, I see the millenials asking about walkable neighborhoods.
This baby boomer wants that, too!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:26 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 56 View Post
I delayed buying in Beaverbrook and perhaps that was for the best. There are now 8 houses for sale there and they are not moving, some have been on the market for months. If I were trying to sell I would be worried. For years there was nothing for sale in Beaverbrook now the market has changed.

Not sure what is causing this, several possibilities come to mind.
*Crime problems in the area?
*People don't want to mow the huge lawns.
*Overpriced houses (most in the 500K range)
*Beaverbrook zoned for Wilde Lake Middle and High Schools, perhaps not the best schools for such an expensive house.
*Overall housing market slowdown?

While the houses and lawns are beautiful I wonder if the price point in Beaverbrook can be sustained given the rest of Columbia has much lower prices. While Beaverbrook has no CPRA that would not seem to justify these high prices in Beaverbrook. The market slowdown in that area worries me and I don't think I would buy there now.
The zoning of the schools is huge in Howard County. The reputation/perception/rating all come into play whether it is justified or not and thus impacts housing values/resale. The market does slowdown this time of year, will pick up again in September. It is a beautiful neighborhood.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:52 AM

Yes Beaverbrook is a beautiful neighborhood.. I believe at one time it was zoned for Centennial High but that got changed to Wilde Lake. Not an improvement in zoning. Many Beaverbrook residents are beyond age where the high school matters to them but perhaps potential buyers care.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhart View Post
You could also check out Dunloggin. It's a beautiful neighborhood with large lots and sometimes the prices aren't too bad if the home is really outdated. That area is Northfield ES, Dunloggin MS and Centennial HS.

This is where we live. St Johns Lane. Real estate agent we talked to said poepl will fight for our house when we decide to $ell. It is a rancher built in 1965, and not completely updated either. . Go figure...

Has to do with schools and HOCO being rated a good place to live (its OK).

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland