Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The Census considers Maryland a Southern State but those designations were made a long time ago. Just look at voting patterns, Maryland is a deep blue state that has more in common with New York or Massachusetts than any true Southern state.
Massachusetts is not as "blue" as people think. Live in Mass. for a while and you will see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Really? Most transplants seem to "get" the nuances between Baltimore and D.C. and ID with one region or the other. What is so much harder about understanding that places outside the Baltimore and D.C. metro regions are unique and different too?

I would say, that it isn't so much that transplants don't understand, it is that many don't care to understand since recognizing difference most often means having to account for it.
I am a transplant, if you will. I am from the West Coast, lived throughout the MidWest and New England and have family in Tennessee and South Carolina. There are areas of Maryland that do feel Southern, sure, but I wouldn't exactly say there are areas of Maryland that are Northern. Midwestern, yes, definitely. There are even parts of the Eastern Shore and all of Western Maryland that could be straight-up New England. Baltimore is its own thing, but definitely and East Coast city. Dundalk could very well be a northern suburb of Boston....it reminds me of Saugus. Or Dorchester, which is in Boston. Ironically, DC feels Southern to me. Here in Howard County, where I live...might as well be a suburb of a MidWestern city.

Maryland is a small State, yet has many distinct identities. Based on my familiarity with SC and Tenn., Maryland is not a Southern State. Even if the State goes Red, it still wouldn't be. Given all that Maryland is, I never really understood why locals cannot seem content to label Maryland as its own thing...which in my humble opinion it is. To me, Maryland will always be Mid-Atlantic, no matter how many "Is Maryland a Southern State?" pop up in a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,974 times
Considering its consistent past and present ties to the region, whatever those ties may be, I'm going to say yes and leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
To me, Maryland will always be Mid-Atlantic
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm wondering what does Mid-Atlantic mean and what states (or parts of them) are included, since there seems to be several conflicting definitions of the region.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:00 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,422,588 times
"Dundalk could very well be a northern suburb of Boston....it reminds me of Saugus.."

*There is truth in your words. Dundalk reminds me of a second rate Boston or Tauton, MA.

Quote:
Massachusetts is not as "blue" as people think. Live in Mass. for a while and you will see what I mean.

I am a transplant, if you will. I am from the West Coast, lived throughout the MidWest and New England and have family in Tennessee and South Carolina. There are areas of Maryland that do feel Southern, sure, but I wouldn't exactly say there are areas of Maryland that are Northern. Midwestern, yes, definitely. There are even parts of the Eastern Shore and all of Western Maryland that could be straight-up New England. Baltimore is its own thing, but definitely and East Coast city. Dundalk could very well be a northern suburb of Boston....it reminds me of Saugus. Or Dorchester, which is in Boston. Ironically, DC feels Southern to me. Here in Howard County, where I live...might as well be a suburb of a MidWestern city.

Maryland is a small State, yet has many distinct identities. Based on my familiarity with SC and Tenn., Maryland is not a Southern State. Even if the State goes Red, it still wouldn't be. Given all that Maryland is, I never really understood why locals cannot seem content to label Maryland as its own thing...which in my humble opinion it is. To me, Maryland will always be Mid-Atlantic, no matter how many "Is Maryland a Southern State?" pop up in a week.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:31 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:

Interesting. I have never been to New England, although a friend who visited what he called "the old timber towns" of New Hampshire said it reminded him a bit of home. Do you mind describing what you mean?

Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM

56 posts, read 79,930 times
At least in my community in suburban Montgomery County, Maryland is "Northeastern," believe it or not. I've grown up here, and I've always thought that we were in the same region as Philadelphia, New York and Boston, because that's the impression we got as kids. After growing up and visiting/living in other parts of the country, I've realized that not many people associate this region with the rest of the Northeast, and that's always stumped me.

Possibly one of the things that influenced me was The Weather Channel, which has always placed Washington with the rest of the Northeast cities. We also have that "coffeeshop" culture -- everyone drinks coffee and we drink "iced tea," not sweet tea. When I did go down to the Tidewater region pretty late in my life, I realized that I'd been completely wrong about most of the state (in terms of surface area) -- that was very "Southern" to me. Western Maryland actually seems very Northern though, because I've always associated it with Southern Pennsylvania and the Pittsburgh area (and indeed, Garrett County is part of the Pittsburgh media market). For me, it's been Northern and definitely not Southern.

I quite agree with this map: They Said It: Beyond Red and Blue: This Far and No Further

Montgomery County, in suburban Maryland, is part of the "Northeast Corridor", but places southeast are in the Southern Lowlands and places Northwest are in "Appalachia." I agree completely.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:22 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"Dundalk could very well be a northern suburb of Boston....it reminds me of Saugus.."

*There is truth in your words. Dundalk reminds me of a second rate Boston or Tauton, MA.
I went to Sparrow Point once and it looked a lot like the place in Mystic River.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:12 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,945 times
No, I've always thought of it as northeastern. I've lived in Vermont, Ohio, and Massachusetts, so no real ties to the region.

This is the first I've ever heard of Tidewater.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 PM

45,363 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Tidewater is most commonly applied to Virginia but also includes the Eastern Shore and SoMD sometimes.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 AM

19 posts, read 29,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Yes! It's very southern in mannerism.
Depends on the person.......

Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 AM

19 posts, read 29,888 times
Quote:

Elaborate on how DC feels southern.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland