U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:36 AM

262 posts, read 1,538,694 times
Exclamation I'll try to post on a different MD city each day

Hi, I noticed there was no activity on the Maryland page, so I figured I would kill a little time each day on my lunch break and post about a different city in Maryland each weekday. I've lived here for years and didn't realize how much I liked the area until I began working in DC - there is a definite DC/VA bias against Maryland for whatever reason, it's almost comical. Gives me a strong sense of Maryland nationalism and a reason to stick up for our way of life No hard feelings of course, my uncle is from Fairfax and I love Arlington, plus I have family in northern Tennessee so I know the southern part of VA fairly well also.

But, surprisingly enough, Maryland IS the 3rd wealthiest state in the nation (behind Connecticut & New Jersey) and probably one of the most diverse states in all aspects - geography, po****tion, quality of life, etc. So I figure it's worth a little more attention then it has received. From my understanding, Maryland used to be referred to as "America in Miniature" because of the extraordinary differences between the western part of the state (rural & mountainous), the central part of the state (wealthy suburbs and cities), and the eastern s**** (beaches & farms).

I'll continue to do these posts until I notice people stop caring (or, if nobody reads them from the start!!!) And, I'll try to spotlight different cities that nobody would expect. I'll start with the city I spent most of my life in to date in my next post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2006, 07:07 AM

4 posts, read 9,912 times
Default Maryland

What kind of Info do you have on Fishing Creek and Hooper Island in Dorchester County?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:43 PM

11 posts, read 135,938 times
Hello,
I find this site and the forums very good with great info.
Me and my husband are from Belgium en we are planning a trip for one year to the usa. We would like to visit all 50 states in 50 weeks in 2010/2011.
I know it wil take lots of preparitions and lots of saving up money so that's why I already have started with looking up all kind of information.
Maryland is probably the first state we will go to (flying to Washington). All the info about the different cities in maryland is very usefull.
I also hope to come in contact with american people for extra info.

greetings from Belgium
Daisy and Alain
(and sorry if the english is not allways correct)

Old 03-24-2006, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,416 times
Default Essex

Just moved here, what the story on the area?

Old 04-29-2006, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 70,452 times
Hi Pkoon,

Could you send my husband and me information on living conditions in the following locations:

Owings Mills, Reisterstown, Towson, Columbia, Westminster and any other areas which might be desirable for purchase.

We prefer a single-family home in a quiet, if possible, gated area. We both grew up in the West Baltimore area but our jobs brought us out West
(S. Calif.) and we have not resided in Maryland for several years (22 to be exact).

We have been informed that many of the areas that were once nice, desirable and safe places to live have changed quite a bit.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Bob & Trish

Hello Pkoons,

In my last post to you I forgot to add the 's' at the end of your name.....

Please accept my apology.

Trish

Last edited by Marka; 04-29-2006 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 05-02-2006, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 70,809 times
Hi Pkoons,

Thanks for your previous reply on Edgemere (We're moving to Baltimore and have a 13-year-old). I'll steer clear! I've been researching spots to live, and I've narrowed it down to Luthersville/Timonium, Monkton, Hampstead, or Pasadena.

Any thoughts on those areas? We were considering Parkville/Nottingham/Perry Hall, but the schools look a little iffy.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:43 AM

262 posts, read 1,538,694 times
Post Mamaroo

If you're set on spending no more than $250K for the house you should probably stick with Pasadena. Here's some basic thoughts on the other areas you mentioned...

Lutherville/Timonium: Very nice area but homes under $250K are literally nonexistant (maybe a condo here and there). The MD state fair is held here. Traffic merging onto 83 from I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) is horrendous. Good schools.

Monkton: Only single family homes, nothing under $400K, most houses have a bit of land with them. Just north of Sparks/Glencoe where there are lots of huge horse farms, overall very rural. Very safe and great schools but one of the most expensive areas of the county and pretty far from Baltimore.

Hampstead: 34 miles to downtown Baltimore and not much culture. But, Carroll County schools are very good and you will be pretty close to Westminster for basic shopping. If you do Carroll County I would recommend Sykesville/Eldersburg - in my opinion one of the BEST priced home locations. Close to western Howard Co. million dollar homes, major interstates (32 & 70), shopping, etc.

Nottingham/Perry Hall: I have a friend who went to Perry Hall H/S. It's a good school in his opinion. Another friend of mine just bought a TH in Nottingham for under $200K right near White Marsh Mall/Town Center. Shopping is great, convenience to major routes (95/695/1) is good, and it's a quiet neighborhood. I would recommend this area pretty highly. I've seen a fair amount of kids around here, it's a little less "redneck" than some parts of Pasadena but you won't get the benefits of the water/Annapolis/DC.
Any other questions?

Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,084 times
Default thank you for the great city info, please keep them coming

I have an additional request. My family and I are moving to Baltimore this summer, and would really appreciate suggestions on places to look for a house. Elementary and middle schools are the most important factor for us, as we have an 8- and 10-year-old. My job is downtown, so any direction is fine. Would like to keep our house price under $400 K.

We've kind of zeroed in on Sudbrook Middle Magnet, and have been looking at houses in that vicinity, if we can get the kids accepted there in the next few years. Do you have an opinion on this school, or can suggest any others? Their creative arts program is intriguing.

We're from Virginia originally, and lived in NoVA for 8 years. Moved away 3 years ago, and now have the opportunity to come back to the area. We know and love Baltimore city, but don't know much about the greater Baltimore area. Would appreciate any school and house-hunting suggestions, and we look forward to reading more of your city posts. You can also e-mail me, if you prefer.

Many thanks,

Lyle

Old 05-10-2006, 10:40 PM

2,094 posts, read 4,424,573 times
Default Ocean City

I'm not planning on moving to MD and I don't need information in any hurry. However, I'll explain why I'm asking you about this city.
My parents starting taking me to Ocean City about 20 years ago when I was entering my teens. We've been there on vacation every summer since then, sometimes even during the other three seasons, just to get away from here and visit OC. My husband and I now take our kids (except last year, finances prevented it). Ocean City is a very sentimental place for me. My dad and I used to say it was "our favorite place on earth". He passed away a few years ago and one thing I will never stop doing (except on one condition) is going to Ocean City. That one condition is basically if it loses that family feel and that "all your troubles are gone" feel. See, we hate the Jersey shore, it's too crowded, not very family oriented (although, it has been trying to make a comeback over the past few years), very expensive, you have to pay for parking, all of the boardwalk entertainment (like OC) but in addition, you have to pay to get on the beaches!!! There are no shuttle buses (that I know of), the "strip" which is smaller than but equivalent in theory to OC's Coastal Highway, is jammed and crammed with sports cars that blare obnoxious music while the driver doesn't actually pay attention to the road, but to the people walking by, to make sure those people are looking at them cruising in their car. It was fun when I was 17 but those days are looonnng gone! And I can't emphasize enough what an unpleasant attitude these people have. They're supposed to be on VACATION, but instead they are a walking/talking version of a horn-blaring traffic jam. The beaches aren't very clean, my feet haven't touched Jersey sand in about 15 years. We only go once every year or two, at the end of the summer to give the kids a last hurrah before school starts. We go on some rides, walk up the boardwalk once, back down, buy Zeppoles (the Italian, Jersey shore version of your Funnel Cakes) and go home. Literally.

Ocean City has always given us that true feeling of vacation, relaxation, family fun and great food. And the people, well, I can honestly say, I have never ever in 20 years met someone there who wasn't nice. I've met and made friends with many people there and every one of them acts like you're a friend you haven't seen in years. They do all but hug you!! Just driving over the Del. Mem. Bridge lifts my spirits, but the closer we get to Ocean City, the more excited I get like a little kid. And sure enough, every year, once we're back over the DMB, my sinuses start bothering me and I can't breathe (yay!) Just the name alone puts me at ease and brings a smile to my face. My parents used to tell me to get a job there being a tour guide, I knew it so well. (I'm smiling right now).

OC offers so much in comparison (I hope it never changes and people don't ruin it). My dad could remember when it wasn't anything but beach there (I think when he was in the army) so it really impressed him to watch it build up to what it is, yet not become like where we are from. Anyway, yada, yada, yada, I was curious to see what information and opinions you had to offer regarding my "favorite place on earth". Anything new there since we were there last? Thanks.

Last edited by pixieshmoo; 05-10-2006 at 10:44 PM..

Old 05-10-2006, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 24,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaroo
Hi Pkoons,

Thanks for your previous reply on Edgemere (We're moving to Baltimore and have a 13-year-old). I'll steer clear! I've been researching spots to live, and I've narrowed it down to Luthersville/Timonium, Monkton, Hampstead, or Pasadena.

Any thoughts on those areas? We were considering Parkville/Nottingham/Perry Hall, but the schools look a little iffy.
NOT Pasadena~ there is definately something in the water~~~ steer clear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland