Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,092 times

Advertisements

I was trying to come up with a list of various criteria for "most representative" county. This is what I came up with:

(1) has at least some coastline;
(2) has a mix of urban/suburban and rural areas, including some farmland;
(3) has a mix of old & new development;
(4) has a mix of areas with different economic statuses;
(5) has a mix of different cultures;
(6) has some area at sea level and some at higher elevation;
(7) has some federal presence;
(8) has at least one four-year college;
(9) shares a border with another state.

I wasn't thinking this at first, but I came to the conclusion that Baltimore County fits this best.

It has a wide variety of communities, both in terms of economics, culture, and population. Its elevation ranges from sea level to 966 feet. It shares a border along the Mason-Dixon line with Pennsylvania. It borders the Chesapeake Bay and has additional coastline along rivers. It has near suburbs and distant suburbs to Baltimore City. It has some very small towns as well as more developed cities. It has rail lines (both heavy rail & light rail) and roads ranging from small & windy back roads to interstates. It has a small airport. It has two-year colleges and four-year universities. It has a wide variety of agricultural, residential, commercial and industrial areas. And, to top it off, it absurdly (because Maryland) has portions of 5 of the 8 congressional districts within its borders.

So ... Baltimore County wins, IMO. The County has no municipal governments, and not too much flat land, but I don't think those things knock it down enough from being the "most representative" county.

I think Harford and Anne Arundel county are close, but not quite as representative. Harford has no 4-year college and doesn't quite have the "inner suburb" areas like Baltimore Co. Anne Arundel's highest "mountains" are about 300 feet and it has no border with another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:38 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
I wouldn't consider it part of Western Maryland. More like... rural northern MD along with Frederick County outside of I-270 and certain parts of Baltimore County. But yeah, it is, beyond a shadow of doubt, much different than most places in central/suburban MD. Both Carroll County and MoCo aren't good examples of the state in total, though.

Agreed.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:32 AM

226 posts, read 363,843 times
I'm recommending Baltimore City because we have everything that most people in the country can recognize as being part of Maryland culture. We have the orioles, ravens and colts and bullets if you want to include them. We also have fort mchenry, the star spangled banner and edgar allan poe. And last but not least...crabs are definitely required at all holiday functions.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdak06 View Post
Anne Arundel's highest "mountains" are about 300 feet and it has no border with another state.

The highest point in Anne Arundel County is the top of the hill (man-made) in the Millersville landfill. I haven't been there, so I don't know what the view is like from there.

I mentioned in another thread that the hill in the city Quarantine Road landfill gives one of the best views of the city.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
I would say Anne Arundel since it has affluent as well as working class suburbs of DC and Baltimore, rural areas, a large stretch of Chesapeake Bay shoreline, plus it has Annapolis which is the state capital. After that I would say Baltimore County or Hartford County because of the topography and similar divide between suburban and rural landscapes.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:27 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,996 times
My vote is for Baltimore County. It has the quintessential blue-collar suburbs, the old-money private estates. Demographics that more or less mirror that state on average. A large federal presence in Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid services. Combs part of the Chesapeake Bay. It's beltway links most of the states major roadways. Houses several colleges/universities (UMBC, Towson, Goucher, Stevenson). It is a well populated jurisdiction, where most people seem to have ties to the region. In all, it feels very Maryland like.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 AM

296 posts, read 319,267 times
bmoregrimey said Baltimore has the 'Bullets'.... a more accurate statement can not be said, however its not the basketball team that plays out of DC...its the real ones that come from firearms, haha

Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I think Anne Arundel represents it well. From rural to suburban. AA includes the Chesapeake region which shares itself with the eastern shore, MD watermen, farming, southern MD, affluent Baltimore and DC suburbs and working class blue collar neighborhoods. The only part of MD AA does not seem to represent is Western MD.
This makes sense to me. Anne Arundel is tied into both the DC suburbs and Baltimore as well as the Chesapeake and Southern Maryland. It's more of a cultural crossroads than any other place in the state, imo.

It also has more charm than most of the other counties mentioned.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:05 AM

478 posts, read 809,469 times
No such thing. I grew up in Wicomico, which is certainly representative of the shore, but it has nothing in common with the experience of a kid who grew up in Bmore city, Garrett County, or the wealthy suburbs of Montgomery county.

If I had to pick I'd pick Anne Arundel, simply because it has the bay, the naval academy, a decent mix of rural/suburban, and other traits that I associate with Maryland in general, but honestly it's in no way representative of the area that I (for example, and many other Marylanders as well) grew up in.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:51 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
WOW , not one post I agree with and all of you ignore over a third of the state ! Charles ,Calvert and St. Mary's counties carry more of the "Maryland " flavor and history than all the other counties combined .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland