U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM

17 posts, read 28,274 times

Advertisements

Hello- I posted a question a few weeks ago and got some great responses. I need of some help. Because we are press for time we going to have settle on renting an apartment, however in doing a search in the Columbia area I came across a couple of townhomes that are for rent. Does anyone know anything about Oakland Place Townhomes or Basford Retreat. They both look pretty decent I just want to make sure they are in a good school system and in a safe environment. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:49 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,602,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trya03 View Post
Hello- I posted a question a few weeks ago and got some great responses. I need of some help. Because we are press for time we going to have settle on renting an apartment, however in doing a search in the Columbia area I came across a couple of townhomes that are for rent. Does anyone know anything about Oakland Place Townhomes or Basford Retreat. They both look pretty decent I just want to make sure they are in a good school system and in a safe environment. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ask the management what schools serve the apartment communities. Then once you know the names of the schools, you go to greatschools.com and type in the name of the school. There you will find the school rating, test scores, and demographics.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,114,841 times
You can look up addresses for schools here based on street address: https://hcpss2.securesites.net/Schoo...jsp?search=yes

Based on that Oakland Place Townhomes go to Guilford ES, Lake Elkhorn MS, and Hammond HS.

Basford Retreat goes to Bollman Bridge ES, Patuxent Valley MS, and Hammond HS.

I don't know anything about those areas, though. You can search this board for comments on the schools as well as looking at greatschools.com

Personally if I were looking to rent I'd be looking at Dorsey Search.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the info

Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 AM

8,188 posts, read 21,782,674 times
Oakland Place Townhomes are in a strange area by Columbia standards. There is a "warehouse district" that extends all the way to Brokenland Parkway to the east...practically nothing but warehouses. Not sure how the school districts work here, but this location is probably of equal distance to Oakland Mills HS and Hammond HS. From what I know both are pretty good. The land around OPT is also either undeveloped or run down. Some of the homes look straight-up white trash. There is a huge, new, church that went up across the street. Behind OPT is what is probably the only cluster of "modest" homes in Columbia, if I remember correctly. Also, despite being "desolate", the intersection at Oakland Mills Road and Guilford is rather busy. There is no sidewalk on Oakland Mills Road and to be frank, this is probably not the best area to raise kids.

The other location is in Savage...not to sure I know much about the area. I need to run errands later so perhaps I can drive by and check out the area. Route 1, though, can be fairly sketchy in the areas immediately surrounding it. I know someone who bought a home in Savage not too long ago. The house across the street was raided by the ATF shortly after they moved in.

Looking at the pricing for these town homes, if this is your price-range you can definitely find a better location.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 AM

223 posts, read 199,136 times
Oakland Place Townhomes- This would not be on the top of my list. As K-Luv mentioned... these townhouse are basically in the middle of no where and on a semi-busy street- randomly placed.This "community" consists of just the one street. Doesn't seem family friendly- which is why I would personally look elsewhere. I'm sure it's "safe" and the schools are decent. Check out the street views on google maps..

Basford Retreat - I know nothing about this area, other than the schools are decent ( as is most of Columbia)

Take a look at this website- I don't know your search criteria.. so I winged it.. but they have a few nice places for rent in more family friendly neighborhoods. Listing Search Form - Search for Real Estate Properties | MRIShomes.com

Old 03-08-2014, 01:24 PM

Thanks K-Luv for that information. So OPT is out for me.

MLS012 my search is for a 3/4 bedroom home or townhome. my price range is from $2000-$3000. our top priority is good schools and family friendly and diverse neighorbhood.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:49 PM

223 posts, read 199,136 times
trya03-
Good schools, family friendly and diverse has just described the positive aspects of Columbia - or pretty much anywhere in Howard County.
At your price range you'll find what your looking for! Using the website I sent posted.. there are 40 townhomes and single family's for rent for 2k-3k. You can also check out Ellicott City. At your price point you'll have really good options!

Pick a few..and if you want some feedback you can PM me or post it back up for more comments. I live in Columbia..2 young children, and have stayed here based on the same priority's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or