U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 PM

132 posts, read 227,464 times

Advertisements

So I'm moving to Arnold in three wees from now, and I'm a teacher. I was looking at teaching jobs in Anne Arundel County, and so far, the ones that I saw that were most likely going to suit me were at South River High, Arundel High, Meade High, Annapolis High, and Severna Park High. My daughter doesn't want me to work at Broadneck, cause she's going to start there as a freshman next year, haha. And ids don't lie it when their parents teach at school, LOL. There are no jobs of my type there anyways. The HoCo counties that have positions of my type are Hammond High School, Long Reach High School, and Reservoir High School. I think the closest options to me are either Annapolis, Arundel, Severna Park, Meade High, and South River High. But just in case those jobs are taken, how bad would the commute be from Arnold to the HoCo schools be? Can anybody help me on that please? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 04:10 AM

32,131 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaMarylandPers View Post
So I'm moving to Arnold in three wees from now, and I'm a teacher. I was looking at teaching jobs in Anne Arundel County, and so far, the ones that I saw that were most likely going to suit me were at South River High, Arundel High, Meade High, Annapolis High, and Severna Park High. My daughter doesn't want me to work at Broadneck, cause she's going to start there as a freshman next year, haha. And ids don't lie it when their parents teach at school, LOL. There are no jobs of my type there anyways. The HoCo counties that have positions of my type are Hammond High School, Long Reach High School, and Reservoir High School. I think the closest options to me are either Annapolis, Arundel, Severna Park, Meade High, and South River High. But just in case those jobs are taken, how bad would the commute be from Arnold to the HoCo schools be? Can anybody help me on that please? Thanks.
I'm real bad with road numbers, but the drive from Arnold to the Howard County schools would be doable but a pain in the ass.

The schools in Anne Arundel you listed are mostly ok, except that Annapolis and Meade have some very specific problems related to the student mix (Annapolis has very wealthy, mostly White kids and very poor, mostly Black kids, mixed together with nothing in the middle. Meade is much better than it was but still has poverty issues.).

Old 03-15-2014, 12:30 PM

132 posts, read 227,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm real bad with road numbers, but the drive from Arnold to the Howard County schools would be doable but a pain in the ass.

The schools in Anne Arundel you listed are mostly ok, except that Annapolis and Meade have some very specific problems related to the student mix (Annapolis has very wealthy, mostly White kids and very poor, mostly Black kids, mixed together with nothing in the middle. Meade is much better than it was but still has poverty issues.).
Thanks for all the info, and sorry for all the spelling errors. My "K" button was weird yesterday, haha. And I've worked at many different schools in the past since 1996. Some elementary, some middle, and some high. I've even worked at Van Bokkelen Elementary School in Severn, MD when we lived in Severn ages ago, and that school feeds into Meade High School. I know that kids in all schools no matter what demographics are smart, and capable of anything, they just got under bad influences. And as a dedicated teacher, I want to put an end to that and help kids see their bright future. And trust me, I've worked at high schools that could be considered some of the worst in the country before, with kids who live in a two bedroom apt with 5 brothers and sisters and both of their parents. I had a student in one of those schools that lived in an apartment with his divorced mother and 6 of his siblings, and he graduated from university and makes six figures now. So in reality, bright kids can come from anywhere in any shape form or size. Therefore I'm 100% willing to teach at Meade or Annapolis High School if that's one of the final choices. I'm willing to teach at any high school. I understand where most of those views come from because of the reputation of those schools though. My husband wanted to avoid those districts when moving here and made it clear that he wouldn't let us live in those areas. But thanks for the advice on the commute issues between Howard. I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland