Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,973 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a newly wed living in Long Island, NY. My husband and I are
Looking to move to a more peaceful area where the cost of living is lower.
I spoke to a friend that suggested Maryland. I want to find a rural area, away from the city. However, my husband and I are both in the IT field, so we do need to find tech jobs as well. I want to buy a house with some land for my dog to run around on as well. We want to raise a family in a safe and peaceful area. What do you guys think of Maryland? Will I be able to find affordable housing with a big back yard? Are there tech job and good schools? Also, what are the safest areas and what can I expect the weather to be like? Please let me know your input, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz124 View Post
I want to find a rural area, away from the city. However, my husband and I are both in the IT field, so we do need to find tech jobs as well. I want to buy a house with some land for my dog to run around on as well. We want to raise a family in a safe and peaceful area. What do you guys think of Maryland? Will I be able to find affordable housing with a big back yard? Are there tech job and good schools? Also, what are the safest areas and what can I expect the weather to be like? Please let me know your input, thank you.
I'll try to answer a few questions.

1. Since the largest source of IT jobs in Maryland is the Federal goverment, you will probably have to locate within commuting distance of Washington DC or Baltimore, and that includes Fort Meade. Both areas are expensive, although Baltimore is less expensive. Overall, they are probably less expensive than Long Island, but run some cost of living calculators.

2. Given the location of jobs, you will have to accept some compromises. You will have to have several years of savings to afford to buy a house. Big yards are expensive. Peaceful areas will be a long way from your jobs. Yes there are good schools, but the housing is most expensive in the areas with good schools.

3. The weather will be a lot like Long island, just hotter in summer, and not so cold in winter.

Here's a suggestion. Research where your job skills would be most likely to find you two IT jobs, then research the City-Data profiles on those areas.

If those areas are not peaceful and affordable enough, try some others states: Delaware, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Virginia south of the DC Metro area.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 AM

31 posts, read 67,614 times
great tech-jobs in DE - live 'over the line' in Cecil Co, MD ...prices on real estate have never been lower in recent yrs - rural/land/good schools/hospitals. All the things a young family wants and needs. p.s. Costco is located nearby - DE tax-free shopping You will save money in your first six months!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:28 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
If you are serious about a job with the government or a government contractor, SSA and CMMS are located on the west edge of Baltimore. You could live out in Carroll County, Howard or Frederick County, and have a safe area with decent schools. You might be 40-50 minutes to commute to a job. Also you could get to Ft Meade if you have the skills and top secret clearances. Starter houses can be found around $300K or less.

If you wanted to be in the Washington DC are, I'd suggest Gaithersburg or Germantown, and try to find a job as close to home as possible. Otherwise, the commuting in DC is horrendous.

I noticed that you posted in the General US forum. I agree with the people who suggested Greenville, South Carolina. Also several Texas cities have good job growth. I'd also suggest Nashville, TN for possible jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland