Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2006, 07:45 PM

7 posts, read 45,599 times

Advertisements

Hi--I am hoping someone here can help us. My husband has a job opportunity in Cambridge on the Eastern Shore. We are currently living in Michigan, far from home (We have family in Western MD and DC. We used to live in Baltimore--in Fell's Point). We have been to the ES but never to Dorchester County and know nothing about it. We would love to get away from the wind on cold and be closer to friends and family. The problem is, based on our internet research, Cambridge is not too nice--lots of crime and poverty. We are wondering if this is isolated t certain parts of town. We have a baby and do not want to move to a shady place. Are the towns around Cambrige nice? What is Dorchester COunty like? Is it possible that Cambridge is not that bad? Any info you have would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 08:55 AM

138 posts, read 787,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonberry View Post
Hi--I am hoping someone here can help us. My husband has a job opportunity in Cambridge on the Eastern Shore. We are currently living in Michigan, far from home (We have family in Western MD and DC. We used to live in Baltimore--in Fell's Point). We have been to the ES but never to Dorchester County and know nothing about it. We would love to get away from the wind on cold and be closer to friends and family. The problem is, based on our internet research, Cambridge is not too nice--lots of crime and poverty. We are wondering if this is isolated t certain parts of town. We have a baby and do not want to move to a shady place. Are the towns around Cambrige nice? What is Dorchester COunty like? Is it possible that Cambridge is not that bad? Any info you have would be great.

Thanks!
In my opinion, Cambridge is not the most desireable place to live. My in-laws lived there for about two decades until just recently.

It has some nice parts. But much of it is very poor. I'd strongly suggest a visit before accepting the job. There aren't really suburbs of Cambridge - unless you consider tiny towns of around 500 people suburbs. Also, Cambridge seems to have a very hard time supporting retail business. I have also heard that the public high school there is awful.

On a positive note: Cambridge is great if you love boating & fishing.

Depending on your financial situation, you may want to look into living in Easton (20 miles N) or Salisbury (32 miles SE). Both offer a lot more in virtually every aspect of living.

Good luck with your decision. Be sure to check into home prices too. I'm not sure that you'll get much more (if any) for your money here. Home prices have risin substantially the past 5-7 years.

Matt

Old 10-24-2006, 06:17 PM

7 posts, read 45,599 times
Thank you Matt. Your insight was very helpful. We are going to try to learn more about Easton. Thanks!
-Gail

Old 10-25-2006, 10:08 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,852 times
^ I'd recommend Easton also. I just bumped a thread by pkoons up with some good info and some pics too.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:24 AM

20 posts, read 147,464 times
Yes, live in Easton and commute to Cambridge. The drive is easy and Easton is WORLDS better than Cambridge - safer, better schools, more charm.

Overall a nice place to raise a family and a wonderful place to retire!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland