U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 AM

350 posts, read 447,032 times

Advertisements

I've lived all over the country (Va Beach, Chicago, Portland, Pac Northwest, etc). My wife and I have never had problems making tons of friends. We found those places to be pretty fun and friendly. I'm currently in Northern Virginia and find people extremely aloof and unfriendly. It's the only place that I've lived where even in "cute" little suburbs if you say "hi" or smile 90% of the people will either ignore you or glare at you like you are a convict. Years ago we lived in Rockville and it was much the same. In Chicago, a bigger city this would happen once in a while but not all the time. After 5 years of this I now walk around frowning like all of the other drones. ("The nail that sticks out gets hammered down"). When we visit Baltimore, it seemed much friendlier and down to earth. I was wondering what Columbia area is like. My thoughts are - you get the unfriendly androids from the DC area ( :^) ) mixed in with some nicer Baltimore area people. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,624,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
When we visit Baltimore, it seemed much friendlier and down to earth. I was wondering what Columbia area is like. My thoughts are - you get the unfriendly androids from the DC area ( :^) ) mixed in with some nicer Baltimore area people. Thoughts?
I used to work with a woman from India, and she found Ellicott City very unfriendly compared to the Midwest. It was like people were to busy to talk and suspicious of anyone trying to talk to them. I think Columbia is similar.

OTOH, I lived in Baltimore County, and found people appropriately friendly: neither too much nor too little.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM

207 posts, read 312,195 times
For the most part the people who live in Columbia are rude, they feel entitled and have no patience.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:08 PM

74 posts, read 91,393 times
We live in PG county, and you are absolutely right about the better-off areas of the DC metro. Virginia, MoCo, HoCo, no smiles. Bawlmer, Oxon Hill, how-ya-doin. I work in Columbia, and if the general populace there has no need for you or your services.... you don' t exist.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:53 PM

350 posts, read 973,879 times
Wow. I live in EC and my neighborhood is very friendly! It's a smaller neighborhood where everyone knows everyone else so that could have something to do with it. But even when I walk in the larger developments, everyone seems friendly. Our new neighbors are inundated with plates of cookies and invitations to events. Most resales in our area are being purchased by first-generation immigrants these days and what I've noticed is that the Chinese and Koreans tend to join in the neighborhood activities and their kids play outside a lot of the time, but the Indians and Russians appear to keep to themselves.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:31 AM

207 posts, read 312,195 times
Your lucky. EC is no Columbia. You got lots of Asians and Chinese taking over EC. They tend to be more friendly.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:52 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,594,945 times
I'm in EC and my neighbors are very friendly. We moved here last summer and had neighbors bringing us cookies and inviting us to cookouts. I've heard similar stories like yours about NOVA but in my area of EC, its been very welcoming. Perhaps NOVA is more of a transient area whereas in EC, people seem to put deep roots in the community.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,876,383 times
Quote:
I'm in EC and my neighbors are very friendly. We moved here last summer and had neighbors bringing us cookies and inviting us to cookouts. I've heard similar stories like yours about NOVA but in my area of EC, its been very welcoming. Perhaps NOVA is more of a transient area whereas in EC, people seem to put deep roots in the community.
This^^

Ellicott City is fairly transient, but nowhere near the extent as Northern VA or the immediate DC suburbs. Most people in Howard Co. appear to be Maryland natives with ties and connections to both DC and Baltimore. Pennsylvania natives appear to be a close second. Montgomery Co. tends to get more of the transient folks from around the country who after living here for 5 years couldn't name more than 5 municipalities north of Columbia.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
I have lived in Columbia going on three years now. I find most people to be friendly.

Columbia is a weird "city". That is because it is not really a city in any sense of the word. For the most part it can best be described as a giant, planned, suburban community. Our local government is Howard County, not City of Columbia (because remember, there is no such a thing as City of Columbia). Columbia itself is run by an organization that is exactly like a HOA.

As for the comment about "DC Androids" and "nice Baltimoreans"...it seems that Columbians (?) are almost equally split between "looking north" and "looking south". I mean that you will find roughly an equal amount of residents who see Columbia as a suburb of Baltimore as you would a suburb of DC. You see Ravens as much as Redskins. However, I do not think that residents actually identify with either city but I feel that people around here lean more towards Montgomery County suburbs than Baltimore suburbs.

If you are simply looking for friendly people, I would say to go with Columbia.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,274,554 times
Default boredatwork

Columbia is friendly and overrall has a positive atmosphere however neighbors there wont go out there way to say hi or do neighborly things like yardwork at the same time. There really are no cook-outs or loud music. You dont really see anybody congregating within the neighborhoods as well. Columbia didn't use to be like that though as I've been back and forth between PG and Columbia since early 90's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland