U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,720 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have lived in Annapolis all of my adult life and am currently seriously considering selling my townhouse (which, I have to admit, really is perfect!!) and moving into a single family home.

My husband and I really don't have many requirement. We would like to do an even swap for the townhouse and the new house, so somewhere under $350k. A large yard, garage/carport and over 1,800 sq feet.

We are looking pretty much everywhere- Pasadena, edgewater, glen burnie (which is quickly becoming less and less likely!) and Odenton.

I drove past one of our potential homes today and felt like it was a pretty good neighborhood. Seemed quiet and mostly well maintained. We are going tomorrow with our real estate agent to actually get a tour, but I was curious as to what any of you had to say about the area........Is Odenton good? Safe? Quiet? I can provide a more exact area/address if need be, but its near the "circle/roundabout"....

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 05:02 AM

106 posts, read 123,489 times
IMO moving from Annapolis to Odenton is a step down. However a SF home in a good Annapolis location is $$$ + Annapolis City property tax. Edgewater, Pasadena or even Odenton would also be a location/price issue, but you could probably get more home for your money???

Old 04-17-2014, 05:12 AM

106 posts, read 123,489 times
Odenton is rapidly changing the new Hopkins medical facilities and apartments at the roundabout. New development up on Telegraph Road on the old Nevamar Tract. Piney Orchard is established with new building near the MARC Station. The BRAC rush is over so I think Odenton could be a good move location. The days of Odenton just being Fort Meade & Boomtown are long gone!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:14 PM

111 posts, read 205,052 times
We just sold our villa townhome in the Brookwood section of Piney Orchard and retired to SC. Neighborhood is friendly with lots of kids, nicely maintained, lawn maintenance and snow removal in street covered by HOA. Easy access to 175 and major routes, near MARC train, close to supermarket and Wegman's! The townhomes are very spacious and modern.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:24 PM

320 posts, read 596,705 times
KathyKB: How is the noise level in the townhomes? Can you hear your next door neighbors? We will be downsizing from a SFH to a townhouse and I have heard horror stories about thin walls.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM

Hi Muffy: We could not hear our neighbors at all except in the summer if they were cooking on their deck and I had the window open in my downstairs master suite which was next to their deck. It was no problem at all. Brookwood has a cluster system with 4 units together, 2 end units with front door facing sideways and 2 interior units. We had an end unit which was as wide as a SFH. We were joined to our neighbors interior unit by one interior wall.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 PM

KathyKB: that set-up sounds ideal! Did the snow removal include the sidewalks? We were looking at the 55+ communities but would prefer a regular community with HOA which includes lawn care and snow removal.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:01 PM

Muffy: Brookwood has a separate HOA in addition to the Piney Orchard HOA. Brookwood is essentially only one block long dead ending in a cul de sac. The HOA covers lawn care and mowing and snow removal on the street, If you garage your car they will do the driveway but you have to shovel your walkway. It is not a 55+ community but a half mile down Strawberry Lake Way near the Island roundabout is Maple Ridge which was built by the same builder as Brookwood using the same floor plan which are very spacious. Maple Ridge is 55+. Why not drive around both on a nice day. Resales in both neighborhoods pop up every so often Also, owners are responsible for the mulched areas and shrubbery around their homes. The lawn care company will contract with owners separately to do the spring cleanup, mulching and weeding.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 AM

Do you recommend any other neighborhoods in Piney Orchard? Who is the builder? So you had to pay a HOA fee to Piney Orchard plus the HOA fee for Brookwood?

We were looking at the 55+ community but some of our friends pointed out that it might be tough for our kids to sell it when we pass on.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:04 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,635,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
We were looking at the 55+ community but some of our friends pointed out that it might be tough for our kids to sell it when we pass on.
Unless the homes are way over-priced, I don't think there would be a problem selling a house in the Washington, DC area. I also don't think your heirs' ability to sell should be a criterion for what you want to do with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland