U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2016, 12:46 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,921 posts, read 42,185,115 times
Reputation: 43330

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"(and i am not playing the political game here because the Republicans have been just as bad as the Democrats in leadership)."

Even though there have been a few repub Gov's, the state has been, and will be controlled by dems who hold the majority in BOTH houses and have made any repub Gov. effective-less, killing any meaningful legislation.

Look at Erlich, he wanted gambling and Busch and Miller demonizes his ideas. Then as soon as a dem took back control, they were all for it.

I lived in MD 59 of my 61 years and couldn't WAIT to get out after retirement.

It IS a beautiful stat but, 1 party rule uninterrupted for YEARS made it unbearable to live there.

Right now both Houses are getting ready to override Hogan's veto of the bill restoring voting rights to felons after release from prison but while still on parole/probation. Hogan's stance is that parole/probation is part of the sentence and should be completed before any rights are restored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 AM
 
36,989 posts, read 16,134,598 times
Reputation: 8410
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Right now both Houses are getting ready to override Hogan's veto of the bill restoring voting rights to felons after release from prison but while still on parole/probation. Hogan's stance is that parole/probation is part of the sentence and should be completed before any rights are restored.
" Hogan's stance is that parole/probation is part of the sentence and should be completed before any rights are restored."
I agree with this stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2016, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Hellimore, MD
110 posts, read 156,324 times
Reputation: 64
I have had an overall horrible time living here, but in the same breath, I've had a few fun times. 99% of my disdain for this place relates to the people. AND their driving.

I give thumbs up to:

-Miss Shirley's(actually Maryland food in general)
-Inner Harbor
-Pikesville
-Annapolis
-I like that almost every street acts as a pipeline to other parts of the city and county. So I can avoid the highway if need be.
-Charles Village
-All of the festivals
-There's a small burlesque performance arts scene that I recently got into, it's so much fun.

My fiance, however, is born and bred in Baltimore, and absolutely hates it. He's prior military, so he's lived in many different places. He admits that it's not all bad, but he's upset with the political side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2016, 11:06 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,851 posts, read 6,895,311 times
Reputation: 2350
A few things. High cost of living: The entire east coast megalopolis is not a good place to retire unless you are sufficiently wealthy enough to bear that cost-of-living burden. Tell me, is NYC, Boston, Philly, or any other eastern city or state worthy enough to get your retirement dollars? It's why the South is preferable to the aging population. Warmer climate and your retirement money goes further.

But it's a double-edged sword. Before retirement, it is harder to build your retirement in those states that have horrible employment numbers. Live within your means and save here, then enjoy life down South. Politics are always debatable. But I see no difference between Maryland or any other east coast state. People will always find something to complain about in a state. And usually those people have never seen how the rest of the country lives. It stands true, "life always seems greener on the other side." But is it really?


As far as people on parole/probation having the right to vote, I feel if they have a job and are paying taxes, they should have the right to vote or else it is taxation without representation. What about if they can't vote then they shouldn't be taxed if they find job? Oh, we can't have that can we? Honestly, there aren't even enough people on parole or probation to swing any election. Half of them won't vote anyway because they have lost trust in the system. So, why is this an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2016, 05:24 PM
 
5,471 posts, read 2,930,754 times
Reputation: 24568
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
According to a new gallup poll, MD residents don't have much state pride

I don't feel that way. I was born and raised in Maryland. Still love Maryland. It has so much to offer, I am staying

Maybe people that like the State of Maryland have no time for filling out polls, we are too busy doing all the stuff it offers. Just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2016, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,473 posts, read 5,939,796 times
Reputation: 16170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopremeBeing View Post
I have had an overall horrible time living here, but in the same breath, I've had a few fun times. 99% of my disdain for this place relates to the people. AND their driving.

I give thumbs up to:

-Miss Shirley's(actually Maryland food in general)
-Inner Harbor
-Pikesville
-Annapolis
-I like that almost every street acts as a pipeline to other parts of the city and county. So I can avoid the highway if need be.
-Charles Village
-All of the festivals
-There's a small burlesque performance arts scene that I recently got into, it's so much fun.

My fiance, however, is born and bred in Baltimore, and absolutely hates it. He's prior military, so he's lived in many different places. He admits that it's not all bad, but he's upset with the political side.
If 99% of your disdain comes from people and their driving me thinks your priorities are completely wacked. I get frustrated at drivers too, my bigest pet peave of them all is a driver parked in the passing lane. But I would never judge an entire region based on the drivers and their behavior. That's because I understand that bad drivers are everywhere and frankly there are much more important things to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2016, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,473 posts, read 5,939,796 times
Reputation: 16170
So your fiancé hates Baltimore as well as Maryland because of the politics. Again everyone has a different priority but I would never make such a judgment on an entire region based on politics either. But as I have found conservatives seem to react this way more often than liberals so maybe that's it. And I get it, I don't like the tax situation either and have been vocal about that. But for me I look at job opportunities, things to see and do, weather, variety etc way more than who is running for Governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2016, 02:47 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 697,268 times
Reputation: 396
Perhaps this has something to do with the majority of Marylanders being from another state and not having state pride? I doubt that most Montanans are from somewhere else. MD is one of the best places to live imo though I wish winter lows stayed above freezing here .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2016, 03:13 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 697,268 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A few things. High cost of living: The entire east coast megalopolis is not a good place to retire unless you are sufficiently wealthy enough to bear that cost-of-living burden. Tell me, is NYC, Boston, Philly, or any other eastern city or state worthy enough to get your retirement dollars? It's why the South is preferable to the aging population. Warmer climate and your retirement money goes further.

But it's a double-edged sword. Before retirement, it is harder to build your retirement in those states that have horrible employment numbers. Live within your means and save here, then enjoy life down South. Politics are always debatable. But I see no difference between Maryland or any other east coast state. People will always find something to complain about in a state. And usually those people have never seen how the rest of the country lives. It stands true, "life always seems greener on the other side." But is it really?


As far as people on parole/probation having the right to vote, I feel if they have a job and are paying taxes, they should have the right to vote or else it is taxation without representation. What about if they can't vote then they shouldn't be taxed if they find job? Oh, we can't have that can we? Honestly, there aren't even enough people on parole or probation to swing any election. Half of them won't vote anyway because they have lost trust in the system. So, why is this an issue?
Do you live in Adelphi, MD? Baltimore's COL is definitely not as high as NYC or DC's unless you are living in one of those Inner Harbor condos or in Roland Park/Homeland...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2016, 03:57 PM
 
3,097 posts, read 3,198,497 times
Reputation: 3695
BALTIMORE IS NOT ALL OF MARYLAND. There are many areas outside Baltimore. I've lived in Frederick County for 30+ years. There is a lot I like some bits I don't. I grew up in Carroll County most of my life before spending some years in the Air Force.

For those that don't like Maryland feel free to leave, we're to crowded anyway. Otherwise get involved and help make things change. Or move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top