Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:42 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
-Miss Shirley's(actually Maryland food in general)
Question? Why does Miss Shirley's close up early??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopremeBeing View Post
I have had an overall horrible time living here, but in the same breath, I've had a few fun times. 99% of my disdain for this place relates to the people. AND their driving.

I give thumbs up to:

-Miss Shirley's(actually Maryland food in general)
-Inner Harbor
-Pikesville
-Annapolis
-I like that almost every street acts as a pipeline to other parts of the city and county. So I can avoid the highway if need be.
-Charles Village
-All of the festivals
-There's a small burlesque performance arts scene that I recently got into, it's so much fun.

My fiance, however, is born and bred in Baltimore, and absolutely hates it. He's prior military, so he's lived in many different places. He admits that it's not all bad, but he's upset with the political side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 02:53 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Baltimore is only partially the problem!

Marylanders themselves, (with their ignoramus existence), is the other part of the problem.
So, you would rather they never existed?

Old 01-31-2016, 07:49 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,011,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfin View Post
Shoulda locked up this thread right after this post. Couldn't have been said any more perfectly.

IMO, the real problem is the over-congestion. Sure, Bethesda is nice - but not that nice after you have to spend 10 minutes to drive 2 miles, 15 minutes trying to park, nearly getting hit by clowns in the parking garage, being crowded on the sidewalks and restaurants, having to get to your movie 30 minutes early to not have to sit in the corner of the very front row, having to pay a $40 (!!!!) parking ticket if you forget to feed the crummy meter after 2 hours because you were trying to get your money's worth of enjoyment out of your grossly overpriced meal, getting cut-off and flipped off in horrible traffic, and most significantly.........................having to deal with people who are educated and generally great people, but have been turned inconsiderate and rude from having to deal with all the aforementioned congestion issues.

Sure, there's a lot of nice things in the state....but everything is so grotesquely over-crowded, and the govt is so adversarial (taxes, speed cameras, 10x more effort to ganking citizens for anything like parking tickets than fixing any problems), that if I had to sum up the state (or at least Montgomery County) in a single word, it would be : UNPLEASANT.

Oh, and yeah.....all those places to hike and bike and everything are great - just have a blast battling traffic to get there. It doesn't matter where you're going or when - it's gonna suck. BAD.

Reading this actually made me legitimately laugh out loud. Have fun on that drive, sir. And getting back.
It is ridiculous to equate Montgomery County (or Baltimore City, for that matter) with Maryland. Why would you choose to live in Montgomery County ?

Old 02-03-2016, 05:04 PM

64 posts, read 73,724 times
Lmao, Maryland is a good state to live in... there are just certain parts to stay away from (PG County, Baltimore, Hagerstown, etc).

But I guess because I'm a New Yorker born and raised, this reply won't mean much.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:14 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite1114 View Post
Lmao, Maryland is a good state to live in... there are just certain parts to stay away from (PG County, Baltimore, Hagerstown, etc).

But I guess because I'm a New Yorker born and raised, this reply won't mean much.
Hagerstown? How do you figure? It has some shady spots, but overall Hagerstown isn't a place to stay away from, IMO.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 AM

712 posts, read 1,091,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite1114 View Post

There are many nice parts of PG County. Stop generalizing the whole county as being bad based on some of its areas.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Lived in Maryland 4 years in Montgomery County and strongly disagree

Virginia has a car tax, Maryland does not. Maryland has nice suburbs of DC on the red line so you can spend little on car maintenance if you work in DC

Maryland is clean and has great topography variety between Appalachia, the Chesapeake, eastern shore, havre de grace,

And great capital city of Annapolis (very pretty state capital region)

And love Great Falls, Maryland

And also Ellicott City

And Gaithersburg is a nice hip town

Germantown has a great Oktoberfest

Lots of civil war history and haunted ghost spots like Blair witch woods

And the Marc train system

Maryland is the southernmost politically progressive state
I agree with EricS39. Maryland, especially MoCo, has a lot to offer. I lived in a lot of places when I was younger, like STL, Memphis, and Columbus (Ohio, not Indiana), and eventually my family settled down in Bethesda. Taxes may be high, but the city is very clean and has many great places for shopping and to eat. Living in Bethesda meant we could have a house in a quiet neighborhood but a relatively fair commute to DC.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,158 times
I just moved into Germantown for a new job. Between paying over $900 to transfer our car titles and tags and driver's licenses (and I didn't have to pay the excessive tax they demand if you had the gall to buy a car in another state that charged a lower sales tax before you moved here!) and the crazy cost of real estate, I'm not seeing the appeal. In this area of MoCo, at least, it seemed like my choice was either join the completely out of control cost of real estate around here or buy something maybe 10 miles away and face the very real possibility of a 45 minute to an hour commute in the completely out of control traffic.

Gaithersburg seems like a nice little town, so when it comes time to buy a house next year (we couldn't just buy one right away because you can't line up a mortgage without at least one pay stub and since we both changed jobs that meant having to rent for a year) we'll look down there and maybe I'll change my mind, but for now my first impression is that this place costs a lot of money and the only thing you really get in spades for it is a lot of traffic.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:06 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
It is very expensive, especially Montgomery County. But you knew that before you decided to move so not sure how the complaint is valid. And of course salaries reflect the higher cost of living, seems like you want both the great salary and the expense of your previous area. Life doesn't work like that. If you think the area is only high costs and traffic you really need to get out more.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:39 AM

147 posts, read 155,879 times
Not really. There are far worse states. I have lived here for awhile, and will soon move in but I don't hate Maryland at all. I admit I get annoyed with the people but that's anywhere. People annoy me in general, especially in the road. I want to explore more and find a state where I chose to live. Not because my family moved here when I was a kid. Even my parents are trying to leave. It will take time, but it will happen. They are not leaving because they hate it, but to experience another state.
Everyone has their opinion.
There is more to America then Maryland. And there are certainly worst states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland