U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 3,997 times

Advertisements

Hmmm. Well, I'm a transplant here. I've lived in the Northeast and the Midwest, and frankly I love Maryland. I came here by choice and luck, and thus far I really prefer it to anywhere else that I've lived in my 50-plus years. The weather suits me, the people are mostly friendly, and there's a lot to see and do in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 01:51 PM

16 posts, read 13,838 times
All of the states that are high on the list have low populations and would be considered "the middle of nowhere" to easterners like me. Maybe there's something to be said for that- people outside of metropolitan areas may be happier. But I'm not one of those people; I love being in Maryland and I don't understand why it scored so poorly here.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:37 PM

10,460 posts, read 5,924,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfoa View Post
I wouldn't say its the absolute worst, but its down there. Pretty much the only people living in Maryland who think highly of Maryland grew up in Maryland. They tend to not know how much better life can be!
No this isn't offensive at all on a Maryland board.

Me? I don't put much stock in that poll. I've been to every state listed in that sample of the poll. And anyone who has been to places like New Mexico, Rhode Island or Connecticut and consider those states worthy of their low ranking just isn't paying attention. New Mexico is one of my favorite places I've ever visited. Rhode Island according to that poll is the worst state in the entire nation to live in. LOL at that, Rhode Island is beautiful. I know many people from Missouri and their state pride is really high.

In short as mentioned before I need to know the questions and I have no doubt things like taxes and cost of living played a huge roll. But high taxes does not mean you live in a dump as you are clearly implying here.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:27 PM

4,989 posts, read 8,069,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphicoelias View Post
All of the states that are high on the list have low populations and would be considered "the middle of nowhere" to easterners like me. Maybe there's something to be said for that- people outside of metropolitan areas may be happier. But I'm not one of those people; I love being in Maryland and I don't understand why it scored so poorly here.
First off, congrats on winning the internet today. Great screen name. E.D. Cope!

Second, you can live inside or outside the major metro areas and still be in Maryland. So you can like the hustle and bustle part of MD, I can like the "middle of nowhere" part, and we can both agree that Maryland is a nice state to live in. America in Miniature is more than just a name.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:29 PM

4,989 posts, read 8,069,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
No this isn't offensive at all on a Maryland board.

Me? I don't put much stock in that poll. I've been to every state listed in that sample of the poll. And anyone who has been to places like New Mexico, Rhode Island or Connecticut and consider those states worthy of their low ranking just isn't paying attention. New Mexico is one of my favorite places I've ever visited. Rhode Island according to that poll is the worst state in the entire nation to live in. LOL at that, Rhode Island is beautiful. I know many people from Missouri and their state pride is really high.

In short as mentioned before I need to know the questions and I have no doubt things like taxes and cost of living played a huge roll. But high taxes does not mean you live in a dump as you are clearly implying here.
Agreed on New Mexico. It was beautiful, full of culture, great food, and unique communities.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:47 AM

2,158 posts, read 834,029 times
I was born in Maryland and have I lived here my entire life. I've never seriously considered leaving, mostly because the employment situation here is really good, especially along the Baltimore/Washington corridor. I don't even mind the taxes, since my job and the jobs of many Marylanders are paid for - either directly or indirectly -from taxes. I run into a lot of people who complain about taxes, but when you point out the sheer number of government and defense jobs in the area, they suddenly become quiet.

My biggest complaints about Maryland are our overly restrictive gun laws and Baltimore City. It would be really nice to have easy access to a big city that isn't a war zone or at least be able to defend myself when I have to venture into that craphole.

I'm definitely out of here as soon as I retire.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:51 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,603,729 times
Interesting! When I visited Albuquerque, New Mexico when I was 16, I felt something special about that place! Something spiritual and cultural that I've never felt in any part of the south western United States of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Agreed on New Mexico. It was beautiful, full of culture, great food, and unique communities.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:59 AM

Marylanders are kinda of ignorant!!! I'm not talking about lack of information/data, and completely not knowing something, but ignorance in the form and measurement of provincial posturing. Believing you're knowledgeable about everything and everywhere, and never been out of the state, and then proceed to tell me things. Man..please!!! Kick crabs shells off the shore why don't you!

Maryland gun laws are outrageously draconian! Thank You to the Teflon Leprechaun (Martin O'Malley). Smh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I was born in Maryland and have I lived here my entire life. I've never seriously considered leaving, mostly because the employment situation here is really good, especially along the Baltimore/Washington corridor. I don't even mind the taxes, since my job and the jobs of many Marylanders are paid for - either directly or indirectly -from taxes. I run into a lot of people who complain about taxes, but when you point out the sheer number of government and defense jobs in the area, they suddenly become quiet.

My biggest complaints about Maryland are our overly restrictive gun laws and Baltimore City. It would be really nice to have easy access to a big city that isn't a war zone or at least be able to defend myself when I have to venture into that craphole.

I'm definitely out of here as soon as I retire.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:05 AM

I grew up here and don't think highly of the state, only critically!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfoa View Post
I wouldn't say its the absolute worst, but its down there. Pretty much the only people living in Maryland who think highly of Maryland grew up in Maryland. They tend to not know how much better life can be!

Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 AM

10,460 posts, read 5,924,770 times
With angry posts like that I' m sure you won't be missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or