Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:45 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,658,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You are correct, Martin O' Malley as Governor will be changed to Anthony Brown (most likely) or Doug Gansler as Governor (less likely).

What is it that will change except the face and name?
The amount of tax will go:

Up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 03:00 PM

44,987 posts, read 59,968,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The amount of tax will go:

Up!
That's a given.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:56 AM

20 posts, read 41,520 times
I've been living in Maryland all my life, and I've never met so many people to complain about a state until I came to CDForums. Jesus Christ! Why do people keep whining? So many Marylanders I know are happy with their lives. Nothing's worse than people who complain without a solution. "There's no this over here. There's no that over there."

Why can't people just be satisfied with the simple things like having a decent job, a nice home, family, hobbies... stuff that many people don't even have.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:56 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,716,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarsCorner View Post
I've been living in Maryland all my life, and I've never met so many people to complain about a state until I came to CDForums. Jesus Christ! Why do people keep whining? So many Marylanders I know are happy with their lives. Nothing's worse than people who complain without a solution. "There's no this over here. There's no that over there."

Why can't people just be satisfied with the simple things like having a decent job, a nice home, family, hobbies... stuff that many people don't even have.
People have the grass is greener mentality. Ok so people hate Maryland. What states do they like? The biggest downside to Maryland is it's very expensive to live (particularly rent/housing). But it's the wealthiest state in the country. Southern States are cheaper, but people don't seem to want to live in those as much.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 AM

580 posts, read 773,442 times
My biggest complaint are the state and county income taxes (almost 9%). At least Howard County provides a lot of services for the 3.1% I pay.

2nd, wish the state government would do more to attract businesses. NoVa has done a fantastic job (since I've moved to the area 5 years ago, the Tyson's/Dulles corridor has sprouted regional/national/international headquarters like the dandelions in my yard. Maryland? Not so much).

Doubt that things will change much in 2014; Sad state of affairs that the head of the Maryland Obamacare rollout is going to be the next governor. Good thing we have an independent press corps asking wtf Brown was doing, and why MD taxpayers spent $200 million on a system that was scrapped for the federal website. :/

Old 05-06-2014, 02:47 PM

265 posts, read 503,733 times
I say Md is worst state to live and not because of politics but the people, expensive and overcrowded, cost of living etc.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:16 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,370,533 times
Maryland is like a prostitute! I was born and raised and don't give a damn about the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Well, you have the transplants that are only here for jobs and don't give a crap about the state, some actively loathe it but still want to collect their big paychecks.

Then you have the natives, many of whom sincerely feel our state is being taken from us by "one size fits all" leftist politics.

Not too many left to say "Yeah, Maryland is great!"

I say "Western Maryland is great!"

Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,370,533 times
Liberals in the state of Maryland have ALWAYS been a problem...just look at Baltimore City! Smh!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:52 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,332,739 times
Default Uh Oh....

This is pretty sad to hear. As a SE PA semi-retired lady, I was going to start looking at smaller homes in Havre de Grace (was planning a trip tomorrow for the day). Looks like a pretty town with some cute homes in the $190 - 260 range and real estate taxes HALF of what many in my county are. I'm living in an up-and-coming place about 20 miles outside of Rising Sun near the DE and MD borders, and my house should turn a profit. They should have named my town Stepford-Wife Valley. DE is also much lower in taxes but very sprawlish looking.

So, what type of other cost-of-living nightmares applies to MD? Our sales tax in PA is 6%. Food is ridiculous and gas is almost $4.00 per gallon. Also, I like friendly, outgoing people. I read on hear that the folks are aloof: any truth to that?

Old 05-10-2014, 01:56 PM

44,987 posts, read 59,968,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
This is pretty sad to hear. As a SE PA semi-retired lady, I was going to start looking at smaller homes in Havre de Grace (was planning a trip tomorrow for the day). Looks like a pretty town with some cute homes in the $190 - 260 range and real estate taxes HALF of what many in my county are. I'm living in an up-and-coming place about 20 miles outside of Rising Sun near the DE and MD borders, and my house should turn a profit. They should have named my town Stepford-Wife Valley. DE is also much lower in taxes but very sprawlish looking.

So, what type of other cost-of-living nightmares applies to MD? Our sales tax in PA is 6%. Food is ridiculous and gas is almost $4.00 per gallon. Also, I like friendly, outgoing people. I read on hear that the folks are aloof: any truth to that?
Food is as expensive or more as PA.

Sales tax is the same but is applied to more items, like clothing, than PA which does not tax clothes. Sales tax will likely go up next year after the election.

Gas prices are roughly the same in both states. Gas taxes are slated to rise again July 1.

MD taxes your pension while PA does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland