Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:10 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,219,646 times

Advertisements

Maryland used to be an awesome place to live, not so much anymore. As a native Marylander, I'd say the mid to late nineties is when Maryland peaked, been downhill ever since.

I no longer live there. The only thing that would bring me back is a lot of money and even than I'd probably move to Pa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 08:27 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,398,842 times
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Ones perspective on Maryland entirely depends on where one is in Maryland. Maryland has some awesome communities, and some of the worst ones in the developed world. Example, Bethesda vs Western Part of Baltimore. They are two entirely different worlds. This dynamic is in several states, but it tends to be common in Maryland. It's either awesome or awful. Maryland does not have much inbetween.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:19 AM

6 posts, read 7,678 times
I live in Baltimore county, lived there since i was born (34 years). I really hate when people bash Maryland with the same complaints about the crime rate, the taxes, it being too liberal. Now granted there are a lot of shady places all over but there is also a lot of history of the united states here. Both Baltimore city and county have been subjected to poor leadership for the last 20 some years. (and i am not playing the political game here because the Republicans have been just as bad as the Democrats in leadership). Hopefully our new Governor Larry Hogan can start turning us around and head towards the right direction with the minor flaws of this state and we would be one of the top 10 states to live in the US. When i say minor flaws i mean simple things that could be fixed like the double dip taxing on retirement the cost of living and for certain areas the crime rate. When people hear about MD on the news all they hear about is Baltimore City and the crime rate (Murder rate) and that is what gives people the notion that the entire state is crime ridden and over taxed. Baltimore City doesn't represent the entire state and the crime rate is mainly isolated in certain areas so the crime rate doesn't speak for the entire city. The weather isn't bad you get all 4 seasons sometimes to the extreme but there have been snow on Christmas morning and lazy summer days to do nothing but sit in a pool all day. All in all there are a lot of beautiful places in Maryland to see and live, a lot of things to experience (and not just in the rich upper class sections). I grew up in a working middle class conservative home and as liberal as people complain Maryland is I still love my state. So to all those whose just sit back and bash this state i suggest that maybe you either move or maybe just maybe get up and do something to improve it, bashing the place where you live makes things worst for the people, the state and even yourself.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:22 AM

6 posts, read 7,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Agreed!
That is because the state is smaller then most who experience this problem so the issues in one area aren't but a 30 minute drive to an area without issues.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:46 AM

439 posts, read 423,213 times
I agree. Born and raised here. We are so hopeful Gov. Hogan can offer retirees some change with taxes. It's rather sad when your financial planners "suggest" you move when you retire for strictly financial reasons.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:55 AM

16,197 posts, read 10,339,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
I agree. Born and raised here. We are so hopeful Gov. Hogan can offer retirees some change with taxes. It's rather sad when your financial planners "suggest" you move when you retire for strictly financial reasons.
We find ourselves in this position and it makes us sad. We don't want to move, we love it here. But frankly it's not just the taxes, it's the cost of housing and I don't see that ever changing. When you can sell your home and purchase one in the south for 1/3 the price, well that helps fund any retirement.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:45 AM

5,313 posts, read 5,991,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanSR81 View Post
<snip> When i say minor flaws i mean simple things that could be fixed like the double dip taxing on retirement ...
I'm almost afraid to ask but where do you get this idea that Maryland is double dip taxing on retirement?

Old 01-19-2016, 02:46 PM

439 posts, read 423,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We find ourselves in this position and it makes us sad. We don't want to move, we love it here. But frankly it's not just the taxes, it's the cost of housing and I don't see that ever changing. When you can sell your home and purchase one in the south for 1/3 the price, well that helps fund any retirement.
We are sad too. I know we'll be fine and make friends it's just leaving a place that you have spent your entire life in. We are to happy to be 15 minutes from airports, good hospitals etc. For us, it's knowing we can go to an area with better priced home and more tax incentives. I think retirement puts things in perspective. Yes, we have saved and are ready but it's hearing how much longer our savings will last elsewhere. Delaware doesn't do it for us, so we are thinking about NC, SC, FL.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:57 PM

13,635 posts, read 20,732,632 times
Quote:
I live in Baltimore county, lived there since i was born (34 years). I really hate when people bash Maryland with the same complaints about the crime rate, the taxes, it being too liberal. Now granted there are a lot of shady places all over but there is also a lot of history of the united states here. Both Baltimore city and county have been subjected to poor leadership for the last 20 some years. (and i am not playing the political game here because the Republicans have been just as bad as the Democrats in leadership). Hopefully our new Governor Larry Hogan can start turning us around and head towards the right direction with the minor flaws of this state and we would be one of the top 10 states to live in the US. When i say minor flaws i mean simple things that could be fixed like the double dip taxing on retirement the cost of living and for certain areas the crime rate. When people hear about MD on the news all they hear about is Baltimore City and the crime rate (Murder rate) and that is what gives people the notion that the entire state is crime ridden and over taxed. Baltimore City doesn't represent the entire state and the crime rate is mainly isolated in certain areas so the crime rate doesn't speak for the entire city. The weather isn't bad you get all 4 seasons sometimes to the extreme but there have been snow on Christmas morning and lazy summer days to do nothing but sit in a pool all day. All in all there are a lot of beautiful places in Maryland to see and live, a lot of things to experience (and not just in the rich upper class sections). I grew up in a working middle class conservative home and as liberal as people complain Maryland is I still love my state. So to all those whose just sit back and bash this state i suggest that maybe you either move or maybe just maybe get up and do something to improve it, bashing the place where you live makes things worst for the people, the state and even yourself.
The vast majority of Maryland Governors have been Democrats.

Maryland has not had a GOP Senator since 1987.

Baltimore last had a Republican Mayor in 1967,

Not my intention to slag of on Democrats (I am a registered Democrat) but come on, Maryland is not a bipartisan state.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:43 PM

58,774 posts, read 27,129,816 times
Quote:
"(and i am not playing the political game here because the Republicans have been just as bad as the Democrats in leadership)."

Even though there have been a few repub Gov's, the state has been, and will be controlled by dems who hold the majority in BOTH houses and have made any repub Gov. effective-less, killing any meaningful legislation.

Look at Erlich, he wanted gambling and Busch and Miller demonizes his ideas. Then as soon as a dem took back control, they were all for it.

I lived in MD 59 of my 61 years and couldn't WAIT to get out after retirement.

It IS a beautiful state but, 1 party rule uninterrupted for YEARS made it unbearable (taxes) to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland