U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 08:35 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,610,947 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place to vacation on a permanent basis. I don't have to move. I would buy a vacation property at first and fix it up. I am looking for an area where the winters aren't so harsh. I would like a longer growing season. That is why I believe that the Deep Creek region would be too much of the same and is ruled out.

I would love to live on the MD/VA/NC coast but I am not a big fan of development. I have considered Oregon but I am afraid that the coast would be too rural. Asheville, I would have to drive to really do anything outdoors. Boone is too expensive. TN, too built up and humid. VA is still on the list. Now my search has turned to Western Maryland.

Boating, camping, and hiking opportunities are top of the list. I must have water! Are there a lot of kayakers in Cumberland?

I have been living in Pittsburgh for several years now and the city has really grown on me. I would like to find an area with the similar sense of community.

Would you suggest Cumberland or another town in the area?

Another question would be the taxes and cost of living. Is it better to live in MD, WV, or PA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 AM

4,561 posts, read 7,621,816 times
What size community are you looking to relocate to? Do you want to own property in a town and use it as a base of operations to recreate? Or are you looking more for a cabin or camp?

The white water is really in Garrett County, which you have seemed to rule out. Allegany County's streams are slower. I guess I would look at vacation properties along the Potomac around Oldtown or Little Orleans in Allegany County, and along the S. Branch into WV. Those are your best places to find water access.

COL is higher in Maryland, but you can live cheap (or expensively) in all three places depending on what you want.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,610,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
What size community are you looking to relocate to? Do you want to own property in a town and use it as a base of operations to recreate? Or are you looking more for a cabin or camp?

The white water is really in Garrett County, which you have seemed to rule out. Allegany County's streams are slower. I guess I would look at vacation properties along the Potomac around Oldtown or Little Orleans in Allegany County, and along the S. Branch into WV. Those are your best places to find water access.

COL is higher in Maryland, but you can live cheap (or expensively) in all three places depending on what you want.
A medium city, a small town, or a camp next to a town. A hub full of outdoor enthusiasts. Single middle aged people. On the edge of civilization with lots of stuff going on but not in the Cookie Cutter housing type atmosphere. More of an environmental hippie vibe.

I like the term "base of operations". I will steal that. Yep, that is exactly what I am looking for. I would prefer flatwater kayaking and boating. I can always drive to whitewater. It would be great to have access to the mountains and beach. I did see that Cumberland has the Great Allegheny Bike trail.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:29 PM

4,561 posts, read 7,621,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
A medium city, a small town, or a camp next to a town. A hub full of outdoor enthusiasts. Single middle aged people. On the edge of civilization with lots of stuff going on but not in the Cookie Cutter housing type atmosphere. More of an environmental hippie vibe.

I like the term "base of operations". I will steal that. Yep, that is exactly what I am looking for. I would prefer flatwater kayaking and boating. I can always drive to whitewater. It would be great to have access to the mountains and beach. I did see that Cumberland has the Great Allegheny Bike trail.
I would check out Cumberland and environs. If your are trying to avoid the worst winter weather, that rules out Frostburg and everything west until you hit Cheat Lake.

Cumberland has the advantage of being a city in the mountains. You can literally be 2 miles outside the city limits and live in an rather isolated mountain abode. I would check down Rt. 51 towards Oldtown in Allegany County as it follows the Potomac. Likewise, Rt. 28 in WV does approximately the same for the South Branch of the Potomac.

We have some environmental hippie types around here. Thanks to social media they are well organized and hold some sort of event every month or so. Overall though the outdoor "vibe" here is more hunting/fishing centric.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:00 PM

21 posts, read 31,128 times
I know that there are outfitters like the Cumberland Trail Connection and "Get out and Play" outfitters http://getoutandplayoutfitters.com/ who organize biking, rafting, kayaking, hiking and all. There are hikes to do around Allegany County and there is some great kayaking a few miles (10-20) in the PA portions of Wills Creek, especially in the spring.

If you're looking for other groups, check out the Western Maryland Wheelmen on Facebook. They are people that not only cycle, but do other outdoor activities aswell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or