Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:53 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,935,674 times

Advertisements

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere

Quote:
PRINCETON, NJ -- Every state has at least some residents who are looking for greener pastures, but nowhere is the desire to move more prevalent than in Illinois and Connecticut. In both of these states, about half of residents say that if given the chance to move to a different state, they would like to do so. Maryland is a close third, at 47%.

These findings are from a 50-state Gallup poll, conducted June-December 2013, which includes at least 600 representative interviews with residents aged 18 and older in each state. Gallup measured residents' interest in moving out of state by asking, "Regardless of whether you will move, if you had the opportunity, would you like to move to another state, or would you rather remain in your current state?"

Nevada, Illinois, Maryland, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, and Connecticut all appear particularly vulnerable to losing population in the coming few years: high percentages of their residents say they would leave if they could, and larger-than-average percentages say they are at least somewhat likely to do so in the coming year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:32 PM

25 posts, read 90,840 times
I agree, one party state politics have ruined what was a very nice state. In about 5 to 9 years I'm out of here too. I love MD, the RAVENS, O's and the former Baltimore Colts and the MD Baltimore vibe , but I can always just visit!

Old 05-01-2014, 07:54 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Thanks MOM!

One Maryland my panhandle.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:05 PM

123 posts, read 203,595 times
A decreasing amount of have's are paying for an increasing amount of have not',s in the NOT so Free State of Maryland!

Old 05-04-2014, 04:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Taxes were among the many reasons we left. Taxes, weather, congestion, pollution (both air and water), cost of living. Stuff like that.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:09 AM

27,562 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I love making MONEY and that's why I enjoy living in Maryland, the highest income state. ;-)

Do I want to live somewhere else and take a pay cut? Hmm... let me see... Naaaaah.

Plus, there are lots of other goodies in this area.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
I relocated away to another state for college (Louisiana in case you are wondering, plus I lived in a few other states before as well) and later returned back to Maryland.

While Maryland might have some problems overall I found the quality of life here to be superior to most states (especially compared with those in the South).

Old 05-05-2014, 02:47 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I love making MONEY and that's why I enjoy living in Maryland, the highest income state. ;-)

Do I want to live somewhere else and take a pay cut? Hmm... let me see... Naaaaah.

Plus, there are lots of other goodies in this area.
While you are making that large income in a high cost of living area, remember to put away as much as you can to save for the times when you can't work, due to health reasons, or for when you want to, or have to, retire. Most people that have planned for that inevitable retirement have found that the COL around here means they have no choice but to keep working or move away from friends and family in order to retire.

Some of us thought we were prepared, but we were counting on being able to downsize our homes, and live off the proceeds of the houses we felt we needed to raise a family. Surprise, surprise! Every time the home values start inching back up, a bunch of people put their houses up for sale and down go the values some more. High foreclosure rates will be around for some time to come. Not necessarily the fault of Maryland, but with the high cost of living here, it doesn't make it any easier.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:15 AM

25 posts, read 90,840 times
The smart ones want to leave. Its called escape from the Democratic Party!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,935,674 times
Gallup Poll also says 67 percent of Marylanders think taxes are too high:

New York Tri-State Region Gripes Most About State Taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: