U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2006, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,487 times
Question help.buying a house in AA county

hello.
we are first time buyers. My hubby is at fort meade. so we kinda like to buy around his work. i am a stay at home mom. so we are using a va loan. anyone know a good area but doesn't cost that much. we live in severna park now and i hate it. people near me never talk to anyone. so i just want a good area to bring up two girls.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 08:09 AM

1,500 posts, read 4,882,365 times
You are in the highest area now for homes. Pasadena has some nice neighborhoods but the prices aren't so cheap either, lower than Severna Park but still high for what you get. Just stay clear from Green Haven off of Catherine avenue. I wouldn't go into Glen Burnie, the schools aren't so good. If your husband works in Fort Meade, I know that Severn is pricey also, those houses run higher than Pasadena as well. I think you will find that Pasadena is a little more friendly than Severna Park.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:19 AM

262 posts, read 1,538,694 times
Wouldn't recommend Severn as a friendly area, but I would recommend Gambrills & Crofton. Also good schools (Arundel/South River are both good AA County options).

May want to look into an older neighborhood in Severna Park like Carrolton Manor where people aren't as uppity

Old 11-04-2006, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 19,694 times
check out Piney Orchard in Odenton.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 PM

40 posts, read 126,054 times
Sorry to respond with a bit off topic info to the original poster but I feel it's important.
Hubby just retired- 24 yrs in the army. We use Ft. Meade. We live in Pasadena.
I agree, stay away from any areas where North East High School is in your district.
Pasadena is alright, people are friendlier. I have to tell you one thing though, being transplants ourselves... This area of AA county, including Severna Park is by far NOT diverse, and can be downright ignorant in their racist attitudes (technically, we ARE below the Mason/Dixon line). I never would've guessed it, nor expected it here. It's actually disheartening to see others treat those unlike the "norm" for this area with such distain.

My off topic info is this: you DO NOT have to go with a VA loan and in fact, may be MORE expensive at closing for you to go that route. If you plan on only being here 3 yrs or so, paying a PMI will end up being cheaper in the "short run". Do you use USAA? If not, you should switch now for all your services. They do conventional loans and VA loans only. We didn't have good credit the first home and went conventional b/c we had to, the home wouldn't appraise out at asking price and we had to move... we had to take the house anyway due to circumstances. It was the best thing we ever did. Going VA would've added 6K to our closing costs had we not gone conventional. With no money down, only closing, we had a fairly high pmi- about 300 added to our mortgage each month. (it evened out in the end to the amount we would've had to come up with up front) We lived there under 2 yrs, fixed the place up, sold it for 95K more than we bought it for and had the 20%+ we needed to put down on our current home here in AA county.
We've been with USAA for a total of 27 yrs- husband had them from age 16 on, switched yrs ago with their other services which I believe helped us to get into that house with average credit and average military blemishes on our credit.
Closings with USAA are a breeze and will astound the agents at closings. In fact, sign up with their Movers advantage program which allows you cash back after closing. You will have to go with a Coldwell banker and I can even recommend one if you private message me- she's over by Arundel Mill's Mall.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
Default House For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhmartin View Post
hello.
we are first time buyers. My hubby is at fort meade. so we kinda like to buy around his work. i am a stay at home mom. so we are using a va loan. anyone know a good area but doesn't cost that much. we live in severna park now and i hate it. people near me never talk to anyone. so i just want a good area to bring up two girls.

I have a house for sale in Glen Burnie, right across the street from an elementary school. This house is a fixer upper. Are you interested? Please contact me at #410-812-8022

Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 PM

37 posts, read 144,656 times
Default Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
You are in the highest area now for homes. Pasadena has some nice neighborhoods but the prices aren't so cheap either, lower than Severna Park but still high for what you get. Just stay clear from Green Haven off of Catherine avenue. I wouldn't go into Glen Burnie, the schools aren't so good. If your husband works in Fort Meade, I know that Severn is pricey also, those houses run higher than Pasadena as well. I think you will find that Pasadena is a little more friendly than Severna Park.
What about the area of Pasadena near Riviera Beach and Sunset Beach. How safe are those areas?

Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 PM

769 posts, read 2,574,540 times
Madonna I live in SP and my neighbors are black, I wouldnt consider anyone around here racists. I do not know where you lived but definitely not where I am at. I am not uppity uppity either nor do I live in Carrolton Manor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland