Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 4 is best 1 is worst
Yuch! Too expensive and boring 0 0%
Its okay 2 28.57%
Its pretty good 3 42.86%
WOW culture, great weather, diversity,worth the cost 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,859,305 times

Advertisements

Please tell me all about Annapolis and surrounding area, specifically for families. Also I'd like to know about Public Trasportation, esp. to DC. I'm coming from $an Diego so I'm guessing Annapolis will seem cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM

262 posts, read 2,017,584 times
consider yourself lucky... Annapolis & San Diego are two of the greatest places to live in the USA

Public transit is not that good, there are vanpools and a busroute that leaves from Davidsonville, among other places, and heads into DC.

Everything else is wonderful, though prices aren't exactly "cheap"... though they'll be cheaper than most parts of San Diego.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:03 AM

469 posts, read 2,730,315 times
I lived in Annapolis for a year -- after I escaped Baltimore, thank god! It was an okay place. I never had trouble finding things to do (but then all my friends lived in AA County so it was easy finding people to go out with). It's certainly very pretty. The downsides -- Annapolis is rich, white, and snobby. You know how in movies whenever there's a stereotypical WASP couple the man always has a fake tan and the woman has the 'helmet' hairstyle and a sweater tied around her neck? That is every single yacht-owning couple in Annapolis. It's not a place to live if you're low-income and/or a struggle student, since it's easy to get stuck there and get into debt.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:54 PM

149 posts, read 666,002 times
[quote=Mississippienne;151507]Annapolis is rich, white, and snobby.[quote]

Obviously, you did not live in Naptown long enough. I am a grad of Annapolis High, the school that has had over 30 arrests for gang violence since school started in late August this year. Last year a fight broke out at a football game and a student was shot and killed, the city is not really that white. (40% black) Most white people living in Annapolis are "rednecks" and on the poorer side. Many areas are dumpy ghettoes. I can see you lived with all the rich people who send all their kids to the nice little private schools. And yesterday there was the shooting at Annapolis Mall.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM

469 posts, read 2,730,315 times
That may be, JaBradshaw! Of course, the areas in which you live and the people you associate with color your perception of a city. I do remember that where I lived in Annapolis (about two blocks from the Annapolis Mall) there was no affordable housing if you happened to be low-income. I recall Prince George's co. was supposed to be more 'ghetto' than AA co. (one of my friends was a PG county native and made jokes about all the Escalades, etc.). I will say this: I have never lived in a town with more Hummers per capita than Annapolis. One day I actually counted every Hummer I saw on the road and I think the count came to 6 or 7.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 16,085 times
Annapolis is for rich people who drive Lexus, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Acura, Jaguar, Infiniti, Audi, Range Rovers etc. In fact, just the other day, I pulled up in my Lexus RX400h at a stop light in West Annapolis, next to another Lexus RX400h, RX350, a Mercedes SLR, BMW X5, and a BMW 750i. There is a 6 month wait on the new LS 460 (that parks itself for $80, 000), and my father is getting the LS600h, the hybrid that parks itself for $120, 000. Real Estate is very expensive. In many opinions, it is better than Montgomery County and Howard County (both in Maryland, and both rank within the top 5 highest income counties in the USA) because we are surrounded by water. In fact, I know people that own in both Potomac and Annapolis because of family in Annapolis and because it is a fun place to be, with water. Annapolis is for doctors and lawyers and such. There are a few areas that are not too hot, but are all basically clumped, and landlocked. You cannot count the number of prestigious, upper class neighborhoods on two hands, and can count the bad ones on one. Basically, there are mansions with rolling lawns in suburbia, and no lawns/little lawns downtown. Annapolis is extremely preppy, and despite some misconceptions, many kids that attend public schools in Annapolis come from very wealthy families, where the kid chose to attend public school. Really, Annapolis High is the only school with a problem, all others are fine, and its not even that bad. Even though there may be some crime, Annapolis is fixing the problem, and you’ll find crime everywhere, just look at the scare Montgomery County had a few years ago. Plus, this happened in the Annapolis Mall, which is going through a $100 Million expansion. So, if you could consider moving in to a $2 Million, 2 bedroom Condo at Park Place (which is NOT on the water), $700, 000 1 bedroom Condo at Annapolis Towne Center at Parole, or a Colonial overlooking the Naval Academy Bridge (on the Severn) for $12.5 Million, Annapolis is a wonderful choice. In high school, friends of mine drove Lexus, Acura, Mercedes (both public and private high schools). Now, to touch on dining in Annapolis. There is the Chart House, Lewnes, Northwoods, Café Normandie, Ruths Chris, Severn Inn, and many other 5 Star Restaurants. Now, business in Annapolis. There is 888 Bestgate, The Bestgate Medical Clinic, The Roeser Medical Building, and many other Class A Office Buildings located in Annapolis. Annapolis is home to the prestigious US Naval Academy. All in all, Annapolis is prestigious city, a city with a historic district paved in brick, with (real, and expensive) gold on the people, driving in luxury cars, to luxury places. Most people in Annapolis are upper class, who will only receive the most luxurious treatment.

We’ve got scenic views, waterfront or not. We own big yachts and fast powerboats because we like them. We have maids and nanny’s because we don't want to and don't know how to clean. We have yard crew and landscapers because we don’t want to get dirty and plus it is way too much work, too much work that I don't want to do. My roommate in my first semester at college, from Bethesda (Montgomery County, also a rich area) said “Why do I even like Country music, I mean, ‘you think my tractor’s sexy’?, I could never picture YOU (from Annapolis) on a tractor, but definitely saying ‘do that OVER THERE!!!’” (He now knows that I don't like the redneck country music, mostly just the patriotism).

To answer your questions, for a rich family, Annapolis is PERFECT. A beautiful mansion/McMansion/etc., most likely waterfront, or water access (though some luxurious neighborhoods are located solely in the beautiful woods with tall trees). Basically, public transportation is looked down upon because we wouldn’t stand for riding in a bus, given that we take our luxury vehicles and hire limos everywhere. I mean come on, that really is disgusting. Why would you, being from San Diego, consider PUBLIC transportation, if we, from Annapolis wouldn’t? Here's the answer, we're just more high strung! Annapolis is most definitely not cheap.

Everything about Annapolis is prestigious, and as far as I’m concerned, better than anywhere else. Just so you know, I’ve always lived in Annapolis. I’ve traveled all across the USA (including Hawaii), we go to California (Orange County) about every 6 months, I’ve been to the Bahamas, and we’re planning our trip to Paris, Barcelona, Rome, and London. By the way, it’s NOT Naptown, its Annapolis, get it right!
I think my point is proven.

Last edited by 111; 11-28-2006 at 12:20 AM..

Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 PM

262 posts, read 2,017,584 times
111's answer is a little wacky, but truth be told, it's not that far off. There's a lot of money in Annapolis but it remains a lot more "down-to-earth" than other wealthy areas in the DC region like Georgetown, Potomac, & Great Falls, VA.

Oh, and except for Lewnes', don't waste your time in the overpriced tourist trap restaurants that 111 mentioned. Stick with O'Leary's, Metropolitan, Cantler's, and Aqua Terra

Old 11-28-2006, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 16,085 times
Oh, and no one was killed at any football game at Annapolis High... and nothing about a fight was mentioned...
"The victim last night was struck in the thigh while near a concession stand on the grounds of Annapolis High School, on Riva Road just west of Annapolis, authorities said. She was taken to a hospital with a wound described as not life-threatening.

The 8:30 p.m. shooting was described by at least one witness as an apparent accident.

A teenager who spoke to reporters at the school said that she had seen the incident and that the shooting did not appear to be intentional." -Washington Post

Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM

12 posts, read 76,476 times
Default I don't know this Annapolis

Goodness, I've lived in the Annapolis area for over 30 years and I don't recognize the place that any of these people are describing - especially 111.

There are people of all ages, economic backgrounds, races, education, etc. - just like anywhere else in America.

Waterfront homes can be expensive, but homes right across the street are not necessarily even in the same price range. And there are dozens of very affordable neighborhoods within 20 minutes of downtown Annapolis. Yes, Annapolis senior high school has had some recent violence - but that's not the rule for most Anne Arundel County schools. Broadneck and Severna Park are particularly good, with Crofton area schools close.

[moderator cut] single family homes can be found in nice neighborhoods for less than $500,000. I'm really amazed at the narratives in this thread... I find it a great place to live, and I raised three children who are very happy, well-adjusted, successful young adults. 'Hope your experience here is as good as mine!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-30-2006 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: No realtor advertising or trolling for prospects.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:59 PM

149 posts, read 666,002 times
Obviously you don't get out of your rich neighborhood often, 111.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland