U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,557 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband has accepted a job around Bethesda. We are looking to move to either VA or MD. we have elementary age children and coming from the Midwest. I am aware of schools in Montgomery CO and Fairfax Co are good. But I am also looking for athletic programs, soccer, cheerleading, basketball, wrestling etc... So what is a good family area to live that is affordable and close to the Bethesda area that offers sport programs and good schools. Northern VA vs Maryland???

any help would be wonderful!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 08:14 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,613,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts76 View Post
So what is a good family area to live that is affordable and close to the Bethesda area that offers sport programs and good schools. Northern VA vs Maryland???
Either of the areas closest to Bethesda are among the most expensive in the area. Because they have excellent schools people are willing to pay for them. I estimate the the entry-level houses a $500-600K in either Bethesda or McLean, VA, and better homes are $800k to $1 million plus. McLean is the more expensive community, so I suggest sticking to the Maryland side of the river.

If you better define what you mean by "affordable", and how far the employed person is willing to commute, then people will be better able to help you.

For example, one friend lives in Derwood, where her children enjoyed attending the Zadok Magruder High. Their house is worth in the low $500's. If you can afford $350-400K, you might have to look at Frederick, MD.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,881,646 times
"Affordable" is relative. As mentioned by the previous poster, affordable doesn't mean much in the DC area. 500K is pretty much entry level for a very basic house in a well regarded school district in close proximity to Bethesda (we're talking about 1950s split levels). Slightly further out is Rockville, and even there 450K is entry level for a SFH and once again we're looking at 1950s split levels and ranchers.

If you want a decent sized SFH with well regarded schools for under 400K it's probably Frederick County for you.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:14 PM

2,662 posts, read 2,769,813 times
'A job around Bethesda' Is somewhat vague. Depending on how close his job is a Metro stop or a MARC station can make all the dirfference in the ease of commute and where you want to commute from. Coming in From Frederick County will be long either way but if he can use MARC, METRO (possibly combined with the MTA Commuter Bus), or the MTA Commuter Bus it can be easier. I commuted in to Silver Spring, Rockville, Democracy Blvd (sort of North Bethesda) as well as Downtown DC, Tysons Corner and Herndon for the last 25+ years. It was worth it for the quality of life of Frederick County. Schools are excellent, The Athletic programs we were involved in were very good.

I hope you knew what housing costs could be when he accepted the job because that is the biggest single difference besides the traffic in this area

Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,461,045 times
Yeah, you'll definitely need to tell us a price range for us to be of any help. All the schools in Montgomery County, that I know of, are going to have the after school activities you note. The high schools around here and mostly quite large and will all be well-funded. Any sport/club/activity your kid wants will be accessible to them.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:18 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,593,766 times
You may want to do some research on Columbia (zip codes 21044, 21045, 21046), Laurel (20723) Crofton (21114) and Odenton (Piney Orchard area 21113). These areas will put you close to kids activities, sports, ect and would be mostly no more than 20 miles from Bethesda. Prices will vary, so will schools so be sure to check out greatschools.org but these are areas I find myself in often with my kids and their sports. I'm also from the midwest (Ohio) and I did not necessarily want to be close to DC or Baltimore and the craziness that comes with that but wanted to be close enough to get there in less than 45 minutes or so; all the areas above that may be possible, traffic is unpredictable though. Let me know if you need any further neighborhood ideas.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,557 times
How is Damacus Md? Is that a long commute to Bethesda? The houses are more in our range and even the couple rentals until we buy are reasonable. If I am researching correctly.. (just a little overwhelmed ha!) It would appear Shady Grove is the closest red line, and that is not even that close. I guess, my question is, How is traffic from Damacus to Bethesda? I was impressed with the athletic association and the schools :O) but the husband thinks the commute might to far...

Old 05-26-2014, 08:26 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,613,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts76 View Post
How is Damacus Md? Is that a long commute to Bethesda? The houses are more in our range and even the couple rentals until we buy are reasonable. If I am researching correctly.. (just a little overwhelmed ha!) It would appear Shady Grove is the closest red line, and that is not even that close. I guess, my question is, How is traffic from Damacus to Bethesda? I was impressed with the athletic association and the schools :O) but the husband thinks the commute might to far...
Parts of Damascus are still rural with cornfields and farmhouses, but suburbia is advancing out that way. The optimistic Google maps distance is 42 minutes. The direct way is to get on I-270, and that is highly congested. You can check also the commute time by Metro with Google maps. There are decent bus connections to the Shady Grove Metro or you can drop him off.

Tell you husband that he has two mutually exclusive options: 1. Affordable or 2. Close to Bethesda. It is always a trade-off between how much commute time one can tolerate and the price one is willing to pay. If you have only one income, Damascus might be a good choice.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 AM

479 posts, read 694,092 times
Have you thought about Germantown or Gaithersburg??? Your just 15 to 20min from Shady Grove Station (Redline) You can find a nice townhomes or single family house for 500k. There are also new townhomes for upper 400k or you can find older townhomes for 250-350k....Look in those area too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or