U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 AM

32,107 posts, read 39,170,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaMarylandPers View Post
Odenton is not bad at all. I live near Odenton in Arnold, and we have a neighborhood called "Cape St. Claire" that people say the same things about. It is all just rumors. I believe the high school Odenton feeds into (Arundel High School) is one of Anne Arundel County's best high schools if schools are something you're concerned about. Seven Oaks is not bad either. One of my new colleges lives there, and she loves it. I think all area's in Anne Arundel County are fine.
Well, no. But 90% are.

OP, remember that Odenton isn't a "town" but a Zip Code which covers a large area. There are likely a couple areas which could be considered bad but the vast, vast majority of it is fine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 04:06 PM

132 posts, read 227,206 times
Odenton is also a very convenient area to live in. It is about 30 minutes from either Baltimore or DC, and about 15-20 minutes from Annapolis. It is also very close to both Annapolis and Arundel Mills Malls. It is one of the closest areas to DC located in Anne Arundel County. The only area in Odenton I have heard bad things about is Seven Oaks and the areas that are basically part of the Fort Meade CDP and not really Odenton. I've never heard complaints about anywhere else there. And those areas aren't bad at all either. They're just as good as some as the other areas around which is why they're looked at as "bad."

Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM

126 posts, read 343,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Odenton is not bad, Seven Oaks is NOT as bad as people are saying. Most of the problems are in the Apartments and not in the Townhouses/ Single Family homes. Look into Laurel as well. Russett is pretty safe and has no problems plus you have more amenities than in Odenton.
Actually there was a carjacking at Walmart in Russett yesterday. I'd say Piney Orchard and Russett are about even in crime index. Both have their fringe problems from apartment dwellers.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 PM

132 posts, read 227,206 times
If you don't like Odenton, then I suggest Gambrills. It's near Fort Meade and also feeds into Arundel HS like most of Odenton does. Gambrills is kind of expensive though. But I'm sure you can find a good house there.

Last edited by TheCaliforniaMarylandPers; 07-08-2014 at 07:22 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 10:32 PM

631 posts, read 1,038,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
Actually there was a carjacking at Walmart in Russett yesterday. I'd say Piney Orchard and Russett are about even in crime index. Both have their fringe problems from apartment dwellers.
A car jacking from that occurred every what 2-3 years?? You make it seem like its Baltimore. I work with Police, Russett has very minimal crime and the crime it does have stems from having a 24 hr WalMart in the neighborhood. I know lots of people that live i Russett and they have no problems as their HOA and Condo association pay extra in their dues for Video Surveillance and Security.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:26 PM

687 posts, read 653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Odenton is not bad, Seven Oaks is NOT as bad as people are saying. Most of the problems are in the Apartments and not in the Townhouses/ Single Family homes. Look into Laurel as well. Russett is pretty safe and has no problems plus you have more amenities than in Odenton.
The problem (and this is the problem I have with Severn/South Gate areas) is that the apartment dwellers have a tendency to walk around a lot and cause trouble, not just in their own neighborhoods, but as far as their feet can carry them.

Always check demographics, always check the percentage of owner occupied dwellings vs renter occupied dwellings, and as a veteran myself I am well familiar with how outside almost every base always seems to contain the worst neighborhoods in the area.

Meade is no exception: the area around Reece Rd. commonly referred to a "Pioneer City" is an utter disaster. There is a reason a lot of people commute 30-45 minutes or more to work in a lot of this country to find a better quality of life.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:09 PM

320 posts, read 596,481 times
I noticed the prices of houses/townhouses in Seven Oaks are much cheaper than in Piney Orchard. I assume the price differences reflect the respective neighborhoods. Is the Seven Oaks area so much worse than Piney Orchard?

Old 07-17-2014, 05:16 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,594,326 times
The prices do reflect the difference in neighborhoods, and also account for the different schools the kids attend. Seven Oaks is more like a neighborhood while Piney Orchard is like a planned community.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 AM

320 posts, read 596,481 times
Can I assume the crime rate is worse in Seven Oaks than Piney Orchard? There is such a big price difference between the townhouses in these two communities so I was just wondering if it was worth it to spend the extra money for a place in Piney Orchard. We are empty nesters so schools are not a consideration for us. Also, I would assume a lot of military live in those areas due to their proximity to Ft. Meade?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 AM

3,785 posts, read 8,762,556 times
I would pick Piney Orchard over 7 Oaks. I'd also investigate Pioneer City and it's proximity to 7 Oaks. Visit both places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland