U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2014, 06:48 AM
 
274 posts, read 539,604 times
Reputation: 162

Advertisements

Some of you "got" my sarcasm in my original post, but others thought of me as a "me generation--I deserve everything now brat" which I am not, but okay, I get it. My IKEA towels are a bit tattered compared to 5000 thread count Egyptian Cotton ones. I apologize for exposing all you millionaires to sub-quality cotton.
(more sarcasm--intended for comic purposes only)

I just perused the forum on MD and came across tons of posts about people saying they hated MD and wanted out. My OP was about the disparity here and the fact that I feel like parts of my town are the Forbidden City. I'm a mere commoner who can't enjoy the sunset on the water--that I live ONE BLOCK FROM--because I am not a millionaire and can't step foot on the beach because it's members only. I also griped about being asked to take a few towels down because my granola-eating self actually cares about the earth. I try my best to lessen my carbon footprint whenever I can, and if it's hot, sunny, and breezy outside, I view it as my DUTY to not use electricity to do something the sun does for free. Should I have put the towels elsewhere so as to not be so close to the road? Sure. Whatever.

Some of you get it, others simply toss my opinions aside and label me as a white trash brat. And I feel bad for anyone who says that because of a few opinions I have that you wouldn't want me teaching your kids. Guess who has guidance full of requests to have MS. X next year because she's a great teacher? ME. Teachers are people, with opinions, and some of us have no problem illuminating some inequality in MD. I know millionaires buy properties by the water so they don't have the public walk all over their tidy yards, but I also know that as a member of the same community, I should be able to see the water since I"m a block from it. Why are there so many posts on the forum about wanting to leave MD? My OP is just another reason why people may not feel welcomed here. I work hard, have 2 degrees, am a good person, pay my bills, am a good teacher, go to church, give to charity, and all I want to do is watch the sun set. I like MD overall, but there are seemingly more cons than pros and the attitudes expressed towards my meager proletariat posts make me feel even less welcomed here. I am from PA. Where I's comes from, we aint got no fancy schmancy mansions...and us folks can watch the sunset from wherever we's want. And my momma always hung some clothes out on the line to dry. Thems smells good after a while.

Again, more sarcasm. Eat it.

 
Old 06-06-2014, 07:58 AM
 
5,675 posts, read 7,260,887 times
Reputation: 3182
Yeah after posting my own rant I couldn't help but laugh at some of the replies to this one. At first I thought they were being sarcastic, but apparently not. It's like they thought you were laying in the hammock of one of the mansions. I'm assuming you weren't actually trespassing, just pointing out that it's dumb that in many areas one would have to trespass in order to have any access to a natural body of water.

Sure it's a "first world problem" but it's a valid point. But I'm not sure how someone could keep a straight face when they say "Why are you complaining about this - just drive to one of the parks" while at the same time doing their own complaining that someone hanging clothes out to dry is going to kill their property values.
 
Old 06-06-2014, 09:13 AM
 
274 posts, read 539,604 times
Reputation: 162
Yeah It's not like I was taking a dip in their pool while hanging wet underwear on their rose bushes. Just calling out some things I'm frustrated with. You put it perfectly...It's a natural body of water that I live a stone's throw from, but cannot enjoy it which is wrong in my eyes. Oh well. Thanks for your post.
 
Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,107 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Reputation: 40515
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yeah after posting my own rant I couldn't help but laugh at some of the replies to this one. At first I thought they were being sarcastic, but apparently not. It's like they thought you were laying in the hammock of one of the mansions. I'm assuming you weren't actually trespassing, just pointing out that it's dumb that in many areas one would have to trespass in order to have any access to a natural body of water.

Sure it's a "first world problem" but it's a valid point. But I'm not sure how someone could keep a straight face when they say "Why are you complaining about this - just drive to one of the parks" while at the same time doing their own complaining that someone hanging clothes out to dry is going to kill their property values.
This goes back to colonial times and riparian rights and adjacent owners can limit access. They also have paid a premium for that right.

Riparian Rights Defined

For what it's worth, Anne Arundel County has been wrestling with the issue of very limited public water access for decades.
 
Old 06-06-2014, 02:38 PM
 
5,675 posts, read 7,260,887 times
Reputation: 3182
I hear ya. But I don't think OP was saying the property owners should put a public beach in their backyard (although charging admission could be a good business venture :-) ), just expressing displeasure with the fact that it's that way to begin with.
 
Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 PM
 
580 posts, read 567,782 times
Reputation: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Some of you "got" my sarcasm in my original post, but others thought of me as a "me generation--I deserve everything now brat" which I am not, but okay, I get it. My IKEA towels are a bit tattered compared to 5000 thread count Egyptian Cotton ones. I apologize for exposing all you millionaires to sub-quality cotton.
(more sarcasm--intended for comic purposes only)

I just perused the forum on MD and came across tons of posts about people saying they hated MD and wanted out. My OP was about the disparity here and the fact that I feel like parts of my town are the Forbidden City. I'm a mere commoner who can't enjoy the sunset on the water--that I live ONE BLOCK FROM--because I am not a millionaire and can't step foot on the beach because it's members only. I also griped about being asked to take a few towels down because my granola-eating self actually cares about the earth. I try my best to lessen my carbon footprint whenever I can, and if it's hot, sunny, and breezy outside, I view it as my DUTY to not use electricity to do something the sun does for free. Should I have put the towels elsewhere so as to not be so close to the road? Sure. Whatever.

Some of you get it, others simply toss my opinions aside and label me as a white trash brat. And I feel bad for anyone who says that because of a few opinions I have that you wouldn't want me teaching your kids. Guess who has guidance full of requests to have MS. X next year because she's a great teacher? ME. Teachers are people, with opinions, and some of us have no problem illuminating some inequality in MD. I know millionaires buy properties by the water so they don't have the public walk all over their tidy yards, but I also know that as a member of the same community, I should be able to see the water since I"m a block from it. Why are there so many posts on the forum about wanting to leave MD? My OP is just another reason why people may not feel welcomed here. I work hard, have 2 degrees, am a good person, pay my bills, am a good teacher, go to church, give to charity, and all I want to do is watch the sun set. I like MD overall, but there are seemingly more cons than pros and the attitudes expressed towards my meager proletariat posts make me feel even less welcomed here. I am from PA. Where I's comes from, we aint got no fancy schmancy mansions...and us folks can watch the sunset from wherever we's want. And my momma always hung some clothes out on the line to dry. Thems smells good after a while.

Again, more sarcasm. Eat it.
Hopefully you don't teach English, because apparently you don't know the meaning of "sarcasm". Expressing opinions you believe, but don't dare to express in person but rather on the Internet, is not sarcasm.

Your post is the epitome of contradictory statements; you're not entitled, but don't want to take the time to drive/take the bus to a public area to watch the sunset. You're not a millionaire, but expect a million dollar view. You feel as if you are part of the proletariat, but wish for burgoise luxuries. WTF do you want?

If you are a 10 year teacher; I'm the same age as you. The difference is, I can afford a waterfront place in Severna Park. YOU enjoyed your 20s; I lived in school, work, and studied for a lot of my 20s and partied on Mondays and Tuesdays with fellow professional students and alcoholics. I still work 60 hours a week while you get 2-3 months off with a crapload of vacation besides. And I am cool with that; just don't complain to me about it.

All individual choices you and I made. Parents request you? Awesome. I will either request a teacher for my kid, but have the luxury of shipping him off to private school like Glenelg Country in addition to paying HoCo taxes. The decisions we both made in our late teens and twenties have consequences. I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt making 6-7x of what the average AA or HoCo teacher makes, or having a household income at least 10x of that. To quote you, "eat it".
 
Old 06-06-2014, 03:58 PM
 
132 posts, read 215,166 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Hopefully you don't teach English, because apparently you don't know the meaning of "sarcasm". Expressing opinions you believe, but don't dare to express in person but rather on the Internet, is not sarcasm.

Your post is the epitome of contradictory statements; you're not entitled, but don't want to take the time to drive/take the bus to a public area to watch the sunset. You're not a millionaire, but expect a million dollar view. You feel as if you are part of the proletariat, but wish for burgoise luxuries. WTF do you want?

If you are a 10 year teacher; I'm the same age as you. The difference is, I can afford a waterfront place in Severna Park. YOU enjoyed your 20s; I lived in school, work, and studied for a lot of my 20s and partied on Mondays and Tuesdays with fellow professional students and alcoholics. I still work 60 hours a week while you get 2-3 months off with a crapload of vacation besides. And I am cool with that; just don't complain to me about it.

All individual choices you and I made. Parents request you? Awesome. I will either request a teacher for my kid, but have the luxury of shipping him off to private school like Glenelg Country in addition to paying HoCo taxes. The decisions we both made in our late teens and twenties have consequences. I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt making 6-7x of what the average AA or HoCo teacher makes, or having a household income at least 10x of that. To quote you, "eat it".
Why are you so angry?
 
Old 06-06-2014, 04:02 PM
 
190 posts, read 218,711 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Hopefully you don't teach English, because apparently you don't know the meaning of "sarcasm". Expressing opinions you believe, but don't dare to express in person but rather on the Internet, is not sarcasm.

Your post is the epitome of contradictory statements; you're not entitled, but don't want to take the time to drive/take the bus to a public area to watch the sunset. You're not a millionaire, but expect a million dollar view. You feel as if you are part of the proletariat, but wish for burgoise luxuries. WTF do you want?

If you are a 10 year teacher; I'm the same age as you. The difference is, I can afford a waterfront place in Severna Park. YOU enjoyed your 20s; I lived in school, work, and studied for a lot of my 20s and partied on Mondays and Tuesdays with fellow professional students and alcoholics. I still work 60 hours a week while you get 2-3 months off with a crapload of vacation besides. And I am cool with that; just don't complain to me about it.

All individual choices you and I made. Parents request you? Awesome. I will either request a teacher for my kid, but have the luxury of shipping him off to private school like Glenelg Country in addition to paying HoCo taxes. The decisions we both made in our late teens and twenties have consequences. I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt making 6-7x of what the average AA or HoCo teacher makes, or having a household income at least 10x of that. To quote you, "eat it".
You are a dirtbag.
 
Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 PM
 
274 posts, read 539,604 times
Reputation: 162
Pokeable's name is ironic in that she hasn't been poked in a while--clearly. ha. bazinga! Or if he's a dude, he hasn't poked anything. get it, pokeable?

So, are you saying (to Pokeable) that my snarky, sarcastic comments throughout this ONLINE forum aren't sarcastic (and meant to make some people laugh--obviously not you because you don't get it) because I'm not going out and getting up on a soapbox at Chipotle to voice my opinions in person? Hey, guess what! It's an ONLINE FORUM and I was stating some opinions, expressing some thoughts and ranting because it's my right to do so--and some people get it, while others don't--it's okay that you don't. ANd, it's okay that your teens and 20s sucked but mine were awesome. I saw the world, became a teacher, and now work at a job (although frustrating at times), allows me to be around kids, be a role model, a positive influence on their lives, and make a difference in the future. What do you do? I'm happy making what I make and doing what I do-I wouldn't trade it for the world. But, I think I speak for all of us non-millionaires living near a natural geographical beauty such as a body of water or a mountain: It'd be nice to see the sunset from the body of water that I live one block from without feeling unwelcomed in my own neighborhood. That's all I said. I'm not entitled. I do think I'm entitled to enjoy our Mother Earth like everyone else. It's like putting a fence around the Grand Canyon and saying to the public: Only those who own this can enjoy the view. So YOU eat it. My point has been made. You don't get it. You can take your snobby, condescending comments elsewhere and keep gloating about the fact that you make more than me. It makes you look super douchey. Keep it up!
 
Old 06-07-2014, 04:16 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,051 posts, read 4,843,973 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Blame the politicians. The County or State could have bought up property years ago and chose NOT to do so.
Actually, AA Co does own waterfront. A LOT of it. I am told that Mayo Beach will be open to the public this year. And the neighbors are not happy about it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top