U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2014, 04:19 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,116 posts, read 39,199,960 times
Reputation: 40582

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Actually, AA Co does own waterfront. A LOT of it. I am told that Mayo Beach will be open to the public this year. And the neighbors are not happy about it either.
Maybe not.

Mayo Beach Park

 
Old 06-07-2014, 04:57 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,051 posts, read 4,845,629 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Maybe not.

Mayo Beach Park
That only serves to make the point of the OP. I happen to agree with GoPhils in that water access is extremely limited and for no good reason other than it's a case of the haves and the have nots. Like I said, AA Co owns a lot of waterfront but if you don't have a truck load of money, you're not getting access to it.

Now if you want to really pizz off a waterfront owner do this. Get a boat, any boat will do, and load it up with picnic supplies, maybe even a portable grill. Find the most exclusive beachfront that you can. Now beach your boat at said beachfront. Set up all of your stuff and watch what happens. More than likely some irate 1 percenter will come down and tell you that it's a private beach. He/she will rant and rave about calling the cops and having you arrested. Tell them to go right ahead. It will do them no good though. When you set your picnic up you made sure to stay below the mean high tide line on the beach. Property owners only own down to the mean high tide line on the beach. Anything closer to the water is public access.
 
Old 06-07-2014, 05:25 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,116 posts, read 39,199,960 times
Reputation: 40582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
That only serves to make the point of the OP. I happen to agree with GoPhils in that water access is extremely limited and for no good reason other than it's a case of the haves and the have nots. Like I said, AA Co owns a lot of waterfront but if you don't have a truck load of money, you're not getting access to it.

Now if you want to really pizz off a waterfront owner do this. Get a boat, any boat will do, and load it up with picnic supplies, maybe even a portable grill. Find the most exclusive beachfront that you can. Now beach your boat at said beachfront. Set up all of your stuff and watch what happens. More than likely some irate 1 percenter will come down and tell you that it's a private beach. He/she will rant and rave about calling the cops and having you arrested. Tell them to go right ahead. It will do them no good though. When you set your picnic up you made sure to stay below the mean high tide line on the beach. Property owners only own down to the mean high tide line on the beach. Anything closer to the water is public access.
I've done that. It's fun.

One thing that's happened is that new waterfront owners are registering for the blind sites off their properties (remember, riparian rights) and essentially closing waterfowl hunting. There's no mechanism to require the use of the sites.
 
Old 06-07-2014, 08:56 AM
 
795 posts, read 991,683 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Now if you want to really pizz off a waterfront owner do this. Get a boat, any boat will do, and load it up with picnic supplies, maybe even a portable grill. Find the most exclusive beachfront that you can. Now beach your boat at said beachfront. Set up all of your stuff and watch what happens. More than likely some irate 1 percenter will come down and tell you that it's a private beach. He/she will rant and rave about calling the cops and having you arrested. Tell them to go right ahead. It will do them no good though. When you set your picnic up you made sure to stay below the mean high tide line on the beach. Property owners only own down to the mean high tide line on the beach. Anything closer to the water is public access.
Great idea.... I think the OP should rent a boat, pull up to shore, and then hang out her bloomers on a makeshift clothesline. Problem solved!
 
Old 06-07-2014, 09:05 AM
 
5,681 posts, read 7,266,541 times
Reputation: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Actually, AA Co does own waterfront. A LOT of it. I am told that Mayo Beach will be open to the public this year. And the neighbors are not happy about it either.
Stories like that are what help prove OP's point. People in this thread seem to have no problem telling others that they can drive to the places that are actually open to the public. As long as you don't have to drive past their house to get there, that is.
 
Old 06-07-2014, 11:15 AM
 
795 posts, read 991,683 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Stories like that are what help prove OP's point. People in this thread seem to have no problem telling others that they can drive to the places that are actually open to the public. As long as you don't have to drive past their house to get there, that is.
Go purchase their house and then open your portion to the public. That is what I would do...

//sarcasm//
 
Old 06-07-2014, 04:13 PM
 
5,681 posts, read 7,266,541 times
Reputation: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Go purchase their house and then open your portion to the public. That is what I would do...

//sarcasm//
Huh? That post was in reference to land that's not individually owned.
 
Old 06-09-2014, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
4,938 posts, read 3,136,536 times
Reputation: 14845
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Eat it Severna Park. Eat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
I hate people like you. period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Again, more sarcasm. Eat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Pokeable's name is ironic in that she hasn't been poked in a while--clearly. ha. bazinga! Or if he's a dude, he hasn't poked anything. get it, pokeable?

ANd, it's okay that your teens and 20s sucked

So YOU eat it. It makes you look super douchey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
be a role model, a positive influence on their lives
From what I've read here, I gather that your idea of being a role model and a positive influence in the lives of your students is to be rude, disrespectful, and use language more suitable to a middle school locker room than a conversation among adults.

Oh, and kindly look up the definition of sarcasm. It's not what you think it is.
 
Old 06-09-2014, 12:54 PM
 
274 posts, read 539,930 times
Reputation: 162
Please "bus man". You have too much time on your hands. Last time I checked this public forum is not a middle school classroom but a venue to voice opinions and questions and to start discussions...all of which I did. In case you're confused:
sar·casm
noun ˈsär-ˌka-zəm

: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny
Sarcasm - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Most of my goofy comments were meant to be funny.

Sorry I subjected millionaires to non-5000 Egyptian cotton towels...that's sarcasm--I am NOT sorry--opposite--See how that's sarcastic? C'mon. This whole post/thread and the way I've spoken throughout is me being funny and expressing frustration at some things while spewing some SARCASTIC comments. Look it up. People think that teachers must walk with a halo over our heads 100% of the time, even in our personal lives. Guess what. I've said the F word, and so have most of the other teachers I teach with. Guess what. Teachers have opinions and are human beings. Do I talk this way in the classroom? Sometimes I am sarcastic but only if the kids have the capacity to get it. Sorry that you don't. Eat it--it's funny to tell people to eat it. Do I tell my students that? Eat what, exactly? It's not a literal thing. Eat it, Severna Park, is me being angry that there is no public water access. I did not literally mean for Severna Park residents to EAT IT. It's just a saying for anyone who remains confused as to why I used the term. My humor goes over some people's heads.

This thread is nice and long. thanks to everyone who's commented. It was fun.
 
Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
4,938 posts, read 3,136,536 times
Reputation: 14845
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Please "bus man". You have too much time on your hands. Last time I checked this public forum is not a middle school classroom but a venue to voice opinions and questions and to start discussions...all of which I did. In case you're confused:
sar·casm
noun ˈsär-ˌka-zəm

: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny
Sarcasm - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Most of my goofy comments were meant to be funny.

Sorry I subjected millionaires to non-5000 Egyptian cotton towels...that's sarcasm--I am NOT sorry--opposite--See how that's sarcastic? C'mon. This whole post/thread and the way I've spoken throughout is me being funny and expressing frustration at some things while spewing some SARCASTIC comments. Look it up. People think that teachers must walk with a halo over our heads 100% of the time, even in our personal lives. Guess what. I've said the F word, and so have most of the other teachers I teach with. Guess what. Teachers have opinions and are human beings. Do I talk this way in the classroom? Sometimes I am sarcastic but only if the kids have the capacity to get it. Sorry that you don't. Eat it--it's funny to tell people to eat it. Do I tell my students that? Eat what, exactly? It's not a literal thing. Eat it, Severna Park, is me being angry that there is no public water access. I did not literally mean for Severna Park residents to EAT IT. It's just a saying for anyone who remains confused as to why I used the term. My humor goes over some people's heads.

This thread is nice and long. thanks to everyone who's commented. It was fun.
Thanks for the clarification. As I see it, you could have expressed your views and opinions in either of these two ways:

1. "I am angry because Severna Park does not allow public water access."
2. "Eat it, Severna Park. Eat it."

One of them would have marked you as a person who is at least moderately capable of conducting an adult conversation on a mature level, regardless of whether or not others may agree with your view. The other is juvenile and insulting. (And yes, I am certainly aware that you were not literally instructing Severna Park's residents to eat something.)

Glad I could provide you with some enjoyment. Would that the reciprocal have been true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top