U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 PM

14 posts, read 17,093 times

Advertisements

Hi , new poster here.There is a possibility that my husband may have a new job at Johns Hopkins( we are both in the medical field, him a clinical pharmacist, me an RN). We are looking for a family friendly suburb, good schools and ease of access/commute.I realize it is going to be super expnsive since I live in a relatively LOW CoL area ( we built our house in 2003 and paid $201,500 for 2000 sq ft , 4 bdr 2 bath home in a schools district with a 9 rating ).I biggest concern is schools and family friendliness..I was told Ellicott City, Columbia and Elkridge are good places to start.I was wondering what is wrong with Glen Burnie, Odenton, or Jessup .I have heard various opinions and I have done some preliminary research on housing and schools already, and though they arent stellar, the schools in Glenn Burnie don't seem to be terrible..Can anyone help ? Give me the good, bad ,ugly any and all info would be fantastic. I would be so appreciative since I am very overwhelmed right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 04:23 PM

32,177 posts, read 39,355,263 times
Nothing really wrong with the ones you mentioned. They tend to be working class suburbs which, in the skewed view of many, denotes "bad". Since everyone in MD is above average in looks, wealth, and smarts don't you know.

Some areas, such as where I am, has new people having the attitude that the "lower/working class" doesn't deserve to live here.

I'm glad you realize the COL here will take your breath away compared to where you are now.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 PM

2,697 posts, read 2,797,229 times
Also remember that in general the School systems here in MD are much larger than most in PA. Here they are administered at the County Level which means possibly dozens of High Schools and scores of lower level schools in a single system. In the areas of PA that I am familiar with it seems like each High School feeder area is run by a separate school board.

You might also look on the North side of Baltimore (The ones you mentioned seem to be west and southwest of Baltimore) especially since JH is ( I believe) to the east side of downtown Baltimore.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:48 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,603,111 times
I think its just something you'll really need to see for yourself. What one person thinks its terrible, is perfectly acceptable for another. Lots of families do come to Howard Co for our schools but there are great schools throughout the region in neighboring districts as well. So much of our recommendations will depend on your budget; it can be a huge sticker shock for people relocating.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:45 AM

11,101 posts, read 18,699,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
You might also look on the North side of Baltimore (The ones you mentioned seem to be west and southwest of Baltimore) especially since JH is ( I believe) to the east side of downtown Baltimore.
If the job is at the east campus, I'd suggest Bel Air. The commute from Howard County would be much too difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or