U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,185 posts, read 21,737,838 times
Reputation: 6116

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, you hate an entire state because a serious automobile accident caused a traffic jam at a certain location?

Okay, I suppose that sounds logical.
According to Allstate's Safe Driving Report, Washington (DC) has the worst drivers followed by Baltimore. I have never seen/heard of so many accidents on a daily basis as I have until I moved here. Followed with the number of bizarre incidents involving trucks and what seems to be an abnormally high amount of vehicle "catching on fire" coupled with the sheer amount of drivers who think it is perfectly okay to cut across 2, 3, 4 lanes of traffic at the last minute to exit the freeway or of those who decide that they indeed do not want to exit the freeway...once again at the last minute...or practically every driver who seems bent on not letting anyone merge in front of him or her to the point of attempting to pass you as you are merging even though your own vehicle is a head of the other...

I have lived all over the U.S. and my personal belief are that driving habits are connected to regional culture/attitudes. As an example when I lived in Minnesota if two cars came to a four-way stop/intersection at the same time both drivers would sit and wait patiently for the other driver to go first. It's called the Minnesota stand-off. Where I live along the 95 Corridor both drivers probably would not even think about stopping. There are two stop signs on my street near a school. Drivers run both stop signs so often that cops hang out at both spots quite often. Even though the cops hang out at these spots on a daily basis drivers still run the stop signs all day long. What does that tell me about the culture around here? Entitled? Yup. Me first? Yup....yeah, I think it is a great reason to hate a state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2014, 02:07 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Reputation: 11163
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
According to Allstate's Safe Driving Report, Washington (DC) has the worst drivers followed by Baltimore. I have never seen/heard of so many accidents on a daily basis as I have until I moved here. Followed with the number of bizarre incidents involving trucks and what seems to be an abnormally high amount of vehicle "catching on fire" coupled with the sheer amount of drivers who think it is perfectly okay to cut across 2, 3, 4 lanes of traffic at the last minute to exit the freeway or of those who decide that they indeed do not want to exit the freeway...once again at the last minute...or practically every driver who seems bent on not letting anyone merge in front of him or her to the point of attempting to pass you as you are merging even though your own vehicle is a head of the other...

I have lived all over the U.S. and my personal belief are that driving habits are connected to regional culture/attitudes. As an example when I lived in Minnesota if two cars came to a four-way stop/intersection at the same time both drivers would sit and wait patiently for the other driver to go first. It's called the Minnesota stand-off. Where I live along the 95 Corridor both drivers probably would not even think about stopping. There are two stop signs on my street near a school. Drivers run both stop signs so often that cops hang out at both spots quite often. Even though the cops hang out at these spots on a daily basis drivers still run the stop signs all day long. What does that tell me about the culture around here? Entitled? Yup. Me first? Yup....yeah, I think it is a great reason to hate a state.
The population density in the DMV area is much higher than it is in Minnesota or most other places in the U.S. Many of the driving habits of people change because of that. It is not the same thing.

I am sure you have never driven in New York City, especially in Manhattan. The drivers there will make anything you've experienced in Maryland or D.C. seem like a cakewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
Reputation: 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
According to Allstate's Safe Driving Report, Washington (DC) has the worst drivers followed by Baltimore. I have never seen/heard of so many accidents on a daily basis as I have until I moved here. Followed with the number of bizarre incidents involving trucks and what seems to be an abnormally high amount of vehicle "catching on fire" coupled with the sheer amount of drivers who think it is perfectly okay to cut across 2, 3, 4 lanes of traffic at the last minute to exit the freeway or of those who decide that they indeed do not want to exit the freeway...once again at the last minute...or practically every driver who seems bent on not letting anyone merge in front of him or her to the point of attempting to pass you as you are merging even though your own vehicle is a head of the other...

I have lived all over the U.S. and my personal belief are that driving habits are connected to regional culture/attitudes. As an example when I lived in Minnesota if two cars came to a four-way stop/intersection at the same time both drivers would sit and wait patiently for the other driver to go first. It's called the Minnesota stand-off. Where I live along the 95 Corridor both drivers probably would not even think about stopping. There are two stop signs on my street near a school. Drivers run both stop signs so often that cops hang out at both spots quite often. Even though the cops hang out at these spots on a daily basis drivers still run the stop signs all day long. What does that tell me about the culture around here? Entitled? Yup. Me first? Yup....yeah, I think it is a great reason to hate a state.
Never heard of the "Minnesota stand-off" in Minneapolis or St. Paul. Driver in the city aren't as "Minnesota nice" as in other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
 
795 posts, read 990,969 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Obviously sitting in normal traffic or even sitting in much worse than normal traffic isn't the end of the world, but I am very glad I don't have to deal with it on a daily basis anymore.
Shoot, I don't either... I was smart enough to move 5 min walk to the metro. And my employer pays the metro fare... LOVELY thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
9,404 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Reputation: 14190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Never heard of the "Minnesota stand-off" in Minneapolis or St. Paul. Driver in the city aren't as "Minnesota nice" as in other areas.

You hit the nail on the head. Once I again I need to remind people that there is more to Maryland than the DC burbs and Baltimore. Up here in Mount Airy you rarely see aggressive driving, people are way nice. It's a country/city thing.

But by all means condone a state because of the way they drive in Silver Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
969 posts, read 2,459,234 times
Reputation: 930
My three hour commute yesterday - Jessup to Grasonville:
Bay Bridge Re-Opens After Police Officer Hurt in Crash - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

There were people stopped on the bridge in both directions for 2 hours. While "all lanes opened" by 3:30 - by then the back-up was miles long and by 5PM it extended from Route 97 before Annapolis all the way to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 01:13 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,101 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Reputation: 40500
I was stuck in that backup on the east side. Was it a pain? Yes. Was there anything I could do (other than going clear up around through Delaware and down)? No.

**** happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2014, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,822 posts, read 3,765,015 times
Reputation: 4977
Is it just me, or does it seem when there is a police officer involved or hurt in an accident, the investigation and resulting traffic congestion lasts about twice as long? Even when one of their own is not involved, I think they sometimes are more concerned with the investigation than they are with getting traffic back to normal.

I was in Germantown when the accident happened. I took my time leaving, about an hour, and even stopped to get an oil change in my car to give them the usual hour or two to clear the road. I even took a longer route around Laurel, to come down Rt 2, in case the usual tie up in Annapolis began early.

It didn't matter. The traffic was bad for much longer than it should have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
969 posts, read 2,459,234 times
Reputation: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post

It didn't matter. The traffic was bad for much longer than it should have been.
There is no reason that the traffic could not have been moving sooner - 2 lanes eastbound for 30 minutes - 2 lanes westbound for 30 minutes - lather rinse repeat.

The police could have directed traffic around the accident scene and kept it moving.

This was more than a **** happens situation. A five hour traffic situation is more than an inconvenience - it has consequences of its own.

If this would have happened on a Friday or a Sunday in summer beach traffic - I would STILL be on the bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore
969 posts, read 2,459,234 times
Reputation: 930
And yet again:
WESTBOUND BAY BRIDGE SHUT DOWN FOR SERIOUS ACCIDENT
Motorists Advised to Call 1-877-BAYSPAN (229-7726) for Current Traffic Conditions

The westbound span of the Bay Bridge is closed due to a serious two-vehicle accident with personal injuries involved. The complete closure is expected to last one hour. Lanes will be reopened as quickly as possible.

Motorists should avoid westbound US 50 at this time. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as accident investigation and clean-up continues.

For Statewide traffic conditions, visit md511.org. For the most up-to-date information follow us on Twitter at TheMDTA or on Facebook at facebook.com/TheMDTA.


[LEFT][SIZE=2]This is a message from the Maryland Transportation Authority. You have the choice of opting out of receiving these kinds of messages from MDTA in the future. Simply click here, and you will be removed from future similar kinds of mailings from MDTA to your reported e-mail address.
[/SIZE]



[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top