U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 PM

39 posts, read 41,404 times

Advertisements

Newbie,
There are some great apartment buildings near Montrose rd in Rockville. Which would actually be a shorter drive then metro due to the way the lines are set up. Silver spring is on the far end of the red line, after you get through DC. If you are looking for a nice area, that is drivable, I would suggest Olney, MD. Probably only a 15 minute jaunt, depending on the exact location of your job. If you come from a smaller to middle sized area, Olney is definitely comparable. If you like the idea of living in a big city, Rockville or Silver Spring itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 08:55 AM

132 posts, read 228,732 times
I just moved here recently, so I may not be too good too good at this, but I'm pretty sure all the feeder systems in Silver Spring are decent. I mean they may not be the "best" around here, but they're a school in which your child will be okay in. I'm sure most of them are above average. If you're looking for a super duper good school, I can tell you this. I'm not sure if I'm right or not, but I believe a portion of Silver Spring feeds into Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, one of the "top" high schools in the Montgomery County, I think. So maybe you can look into that area. I'm not exactly sure which part of Silver Spring feeds into B-CC. Sorry, I'm also new here. I can look on a school boundaries map and get back to you later, though.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,475,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_tester View Post
Hi,
I am relocating to MD and need advice as where to live.
I got a job offer for 85k annually in Silver Spring downtown, MD. The office is right behind the metro train station.
Now I need help the following:
- I have a wife(not earning) and we would want to live in 1 bed or maybe 2 bed room apartment.
- Is it possible to get decent 1 bed room in a decent area between 1000 to 1300?
- Is it possible to get a decent 2 bed room for 1500?
- I do not mind traveling for 30 mins one way each day(somewhere where i can catch the metro would be great). If not I don't mind driving.

I would like some suggestions on where to live. As long as the place is safe and the apartment is decently sized I have no other preferences.

Also, 1 year down the line I intend to purchase a house. Would I able to purchase a 4 bed room 4 bath house 1 year down the line for 350-400k in a good schooling area.
There's some availability about a mile out of downtown Silver Spring within your price range. Otherwise, I'd target around Forest Glen or Wheaton metros. I personally chose the former (outskirt of downtown Silver Spring) back when I was in your price range and don't regret it; your job being right in DTSS is a bonus I didn't even have. There are specifics elsewhere on here re: what blocks of Thayer Ave. and Sligo Ave. I think are best, if you end up considering the DTSS idea.

4br, 4 bath: houses that large are pretty rare anywhere near the metro system as it's mostly a 1920s-1950s housing stock (read: smaller and certainly nowhere near that many baths). You definitely won't find a house that big for that price unless you commute from quite far out or cross into PG county. It's good that you're renting first: once you see traffic in the region your priorities will likely change. You'll probably give up that 4th bath (what, are you opening a B&B? ) to live closer to your job, without hesitation.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 13,801 times
Thanks for your inputs.
Yes, I have decided to rent a 1 bed/1 bath atleast for a year or 2.
I will probably live in a motel/hotel for the first week to figure out an apartment that falls in 1300 range in a safe area.
I am looking to live in a place where I could commute by metro (20-25 mins is fine), since I would get 100$ monthly if I use public transport. So i think some of the options mentioned would work for me.
The only thing left to do would be finding a decent apartment in those areas.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs.
Yes, I have decided to rent a 1 bed/1 bath atleast for a year or 2.
I will probably live in a motel/hotel for the first week to figure out an apartment that falls in 1300 range in a safe area.
I am looking to live in a place where I could commute by metro (20-25 mins is fine), since I would get 100$ monthly if I use public transport. So i think some of the options mentioned would work for me.
The only thing left to do would be finding a decent apartment in those areas.
Don't forget the bus system; you'll be able to use your transit stipend on that as well and obviously that opens up a lot more options than just living next to metro stations themselves. Using the bus maps and trip planner at Metro - Home page (DC metro rail and metrobus) and MCDOT TRANSIT SERVICES (Montgomery County's bus system) can give you an idea of where the bus lines run, how often, and how long the trips would project to take. Metro's site is also helpful for judging how long the metro rides would take; e.g. I think you previously mentioned possibly living in Twinbrook and metroing from there to Silver Spring which would take about 50 minutes, according to the trip planner, which is obviously well beyond the 20-25 mins you're looking for. Alternatively, taking the J5 bus from Twinbrook to Silver Spring projects to be about 36 minutes. Taking the bus would be much faster and only a fraction of the cost (not that I'd recommend doing that either since then you'll be at the mercy of traffic; Twinbrook is just unnecessarily far away for someone working on the east-side of the county, in general, but you get my point).

Old 07-18-2014, 03:15 PM

7 posts, read 12,186 times
Re: houses, if you don't mind driving a bit, Olney is quite a nice area. It's 5-6 miles north of the Glenmont metro station, and the Silver Spring metro is just a few stops down from there. There are some nice pockets south of Olney, too, especially on the east side of Georgia Avenue. But the schools might be better closer to Olney. Either way, be prepared to pay - I'm buying a house similar to what you're looking for and prices are ~500k - 600k.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:14 PM

17 posts, read 13,801 times
Thanks for all the replies. It was helpful.
Here is an update. I ended up taking a 1 bed room apt for 1298(+75 monthly parking) near the Wheaton Metro Station.
It's a 900 sq.ft apartment, but it is very close to downtown silver spring.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. It was helpful.
Here is an update. I ended up taking a 1 bed room apt for 1298(+75 monthly parking) near the Wheaton Metro Station.
It's a 900 sq.ft apartment, but it is very close to downtown silver spring.
Cool; best of luck. Lot of good restaurants in Wheaton and easy access to downtown Silver Spring/DC.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:02 AM

9,502 posts, read 5,260,262 times
You will come to really like downtown Silver Spring. HUGE changed in the last decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland